Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2019, 09:31 AM   #4291
kaytata is offline kaytata  India
diyAudio Member

Hi Eslei,

I tried rpi but could not get the hardware volume, and no sound.

Could you send me the up-to-date driver for the current volumio?

Cheers,
Kay.
Old 22nd April 2019, 05:58 AM   #4292
eslei is offline eslei  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

hi there,

freshly installed volumio 2.572, unzip and copy ' ko ' to /boot, i2s setting is 'R-PI DAC'.

green board i2s lrck to pi gpio pin 12,
green board i2s bclk to pi gpio pin 35,
green board i2s data to pi gpio pin 40,
disable the on board mcu by j1, j2 on,

the dac should has very weak output without the i2c, if tune the preamp volume control up has no sound, there is something no right, fix it before go any further.

green board i2c sda to pi gpio pin 3,
green board i2c scl to pi gpio pin 5,

ssh to volumio 2.572

sudo cp -r /boot/ko/hifibunny-codec.ko /lib/modules/4.14.71-v7+/kernel/sound/soc/codecs/hifibunny-codec.ko
sudo cp -r /boot/ko/hifibunny-q2m.ko /lib/modules/4.14.71-v7+/kernel/sound/soc/bcm/hifibunny-q2m.ko
sudo cp -r /boot/ko/hifibunny-q2m.dtbo /boot/overlays/hifibunny-q2m.dtbo

sudo depmod -a

sudo rm -r /volumio/app/plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json
sudo cp -r /boot/ko/dacs.json /volumio/app/plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json

sudo reboot

pls follow my post on #3374, #3380, #3381, #3382, #3383, #3384, #3559, #3560

i2s setting is '90x8q2m' not '9038q2m'.

cheers
Attached Files
File Type: zip 41492.zip (7.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by eslei; 22nd April 2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:51 AM   #4293
eslei is offline eslei  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslei View Post
hi there,

freshly installed volumio 2.572, unzip and copy ' ko ' to /boot, i2s setting is 'R-PI DAC'.

the dac should has very weak output without the i2c, if tune the preamp volume control up has no sound, there is something no right, fix it before go any further.

ssh to volumio 2.572

sudo cp -r /boot/ko/hifibunny-codec.ko /lib/modules/4.14.71-v7+/kernel/sound/soc/codecs/hifibunny-codec.ko
sudo cp -r /boot/ko/hifibunny-q2m.ko /lib/modules/4.14.71-v7+/kernel/sound/soc/bcm/hifibunny-q2m.ko
sudo cp -r /boot/ko/hifibunny-q2m.dtbo /boot/overlays/hifibunny-q2m.dtbo

sudo depmod -a

sudo cp -r /boot/ko/dacs.json /volumio/app/plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json

sudo reboot

cheers
hi there,

edit my last post.

freshly installed volumio 2.572, unzip and copy ' ko ' to /boot, i2s setting is 'rpi-dac'.

ssh to volumio 2.572

sudo cp -r /boot/ko/sl-codec.ko /lib/modules/4.14.92-v7+/kernel/sound/soc/codecs/
sudo cp -r /boot/ko/sl-q2m.ko /lib/modules/4.14.92-v7+/kernel/sound/soc/bcm/
sudo cp -r /boot/ko/sl-q2m.dtbo /boot/overlays/

sudo depmod -a

sudo reboot

cheers

Last edited by eslei; 22nd April 2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:16 AM   #4294
kaytata is offline kaytata  India
diyAudio Member

Thanks eslei,

Will try and let you know,
Cheers.
Kay
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:51 PM   #4295
bofff is offline bofff
diyAudio Member

guys... I cannot find anywhere info about ES9038 power useage
how much power it needs?
currently I supply it with +/-15V 200mA. is it enough?
do I need some reserve over this?
I use it with RPi3, all works well besides nasty (though rarely occuring) crackling noise while rewinding
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:22 PM   #4296
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofff View Post
I supply it with +/-15V 200mA. is it enough?
How much current is needed depends if everything is powered from the +-15v supply or if there is a separate 5v supply for the low voltage digital part of the dac. IIRC, with everything powered from +-15v, the +15v current may be around 150mA (165mA?), and the -15v current may be closer to 15mA (it has been a long time since I measured it, don't recall the exact numbers).

Probably, if crackling is only between songs it may have some cause other than the power supply.
Old 22nd April 2019, 07:56 PM   #4297
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

@Markw4 check out this post Converting PCM to DSD on the fly -- the nuts and bolts am I mistaken or is this a working implementation of a ASRC, interpolation and DSD conversion for Xillinx Fpga? Or is he using a chip for the ASRC part?
I'm still waiting for my FPGA board to be delivered but I started setting up a dev environment with Vivado and Mathcad.
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:11 PM   #4298
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealas View Post
@Markw4 check out this post...
...I'm still waiting for my FPGA board to be delivered but I started setting up a dev environment with Vivado and Mathcad.
I have seen Marcel's posts in that thread. He wrote a Pascal program that kind of sorta does something like DSD conversion. Don't know how it sounds, or would sound if it were used.

Typically what happens is as Marcel described: PCM is upsampled, digitally LP filtered, then run into a DSD modulator. In theory, PCM and DSD are two ways of describing the same audio, so no surprise it is possible to mathematically convert between the two. The questions are usually more about particular algorithmic choices and how it sounds during playback, given a particular DSD playback sample rate.

A lot of developments these days seem to get published in patents, or else are held as trade secret info. Lots of reading to do, I expect.

EDIT: IIRC, Marcel also built an upsampling DAC with ASRC a few years ago. Don't know how it keeps up with commercial offerings of today.

In addition, if we look at the big picture, we don't need to do ASRC or DSD conversion to start with. There is plenty to do before those things. What Benchmark did with their dacs is use SRC4192 to do any needed ASRC at the front end, then Benchmark added their own PCM interpolation filter with a custom volume control solution. The first part of that problem is just to learn how to make a good sounding interpolation filter alone. The volume control (and comprehensive intersample over management) ought to be a second step (as it adds additional complications). Regarding conversion to DSD, likely one could not give away specific code for that or give away binary code or FPGAs. My guess is that licensing fees may have to be paid for every copy (otherwise don't know why Foobar2000 dropped it). If licensing costs, only way to do that would involve selling finished hardware or copy protected software of some kind. All stuff to worry about much later.

Last edited by Markw4; 22nd April 2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:28 PM   #4299
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

Right, but he also published the Verlog code and that for me would be a great starting point if usable. I don't think I can get any usable DSD output any time soon if I start from scratch, this could at least give us a working starting point on which we can improve.
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:59 PM   #4300
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealas View Post
Right, but he also published the Verlog code...
Grab it if you want.

Matlab/Simulink may already have to tools to create S-D modulators which are use to encode DSD (among other things). It has had digital filter tools for a long time already. And it can output Verilog/VHDL for specific Xilinx FPGAs. Not sure where that may lead until I spend some time with it.

For now, VHDL is starting to feel a lot more comfortable, although still more to do on that.

I also kind of feel like I should try to finish up a practical clock divider system for those remaining diy dac mod'ers in the thread who would like to have it. I don't want to use my modded dac#2 for that because I want to keep it as is as a reference for best sound I could get from divided clocking so far. Therefore, I need to cobble another dac together for further clock divider development.

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!