Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 03:16 AM   #3921
888777 is offline 888777  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Above about upgrading ES9038q2m on the example of SOUNDKEY PCM5102. I probably did not quite understand what was going on - then I apologize. But the same PCM5102 in this forum XMOS 384K/32bit PCM5102 DAC Мини - реальность., tried to bring to mind. And there it was clear that it should be untied from USB power. The same output filter is recommended to alter. Although initially on the dac everything corresponded to the datasheet. I myself personally have this DAC. And I can say that a separate power supply is better than powering the USB port. Therefore, simplification will not lead to improvements. I repeat - I may be due to the use of Google translator, I didn’t quite understand the essence of fashion or improvements.
The noise measurements are interesting to me. I will wait.
P.S. Does it make sense on this ES9038q2m to untie the USB amanero from the power of the USB port? And is it even possible?
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM   #3922
eziitis is offline eziitis
diyAudio Member

@888777
you may find some useful info on the questions above from those links:

Модуль питания для ЦАП-а AH-PW6-mini
Гальваническая развязка для USB модуля Amanero.

regarding the regulators (not power supply), I believe they should be as close to the load as possible, e.g. 1 cm max. for the AVCC any decent low noise 3.3V reg + an op amp buffer should be OK. in order to improve of ESS typical lack of lows and exaggerated highs you may take a look at pretty low impedance regs at: Audio Perfection Forum - Источники питания . or put a lot of those film caps Mark recommends.

galvanic isolation of USB transport brings an improvement indeed, but then reclocking/sync mode might be required. instead of amanero one can take a look at I2SoverUSB - I2S over USB Audio. will be easier IMHO.

and of course, if you upgrade the oscillator, then again it deserves a dedicated reg (perhaps even dedicated PS). with some inductance in the path ir order to keep things clean. for the digital part the one on the board could be left, may be more capacitance added on the DACs legs. if I remember correctly, this was discussed at some point earlier.

Last edited by eziitis; Yesterday at 08:27 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #3923
IVX is offline IVX  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

888777, it is not an upgrading project, I design dongle-like USB DAC+HPA for 4-wires headphones(only balanced output) from the scratch. As usual, a tiny sized device is full of compromises, in case of soundkey(which is just an example) it is too much compromised to me. My target is a tiny dongle with outstanding performances for that class devices: -120dbA S/N and THD+N .0005% at 1/2 max power or better. If I going to use simplified LPF, I can omit 2 opamp gates, and for 20x40mm PCB it's a big deal. Otherwise, I have to use these two opamp gates and surrounding parts, so my PCB could be 20x55mm, that's not so sexy as 20x40mm right? This is why I've interest regarding SE9038Q2M's out of band noise performance. Currently on my bench ak4490(simple 1st order LPF) USB DAC+HPA with 1.3MHz boost converter (4-5V in/5.5V out) and 5x1000uF Low-ESR solid-polymer caps + lots of X7Rs + beads, and I got S/N near to -121dbA, THD .0005%@-3db, however it is really bigger than typical USB flash dongle, and same sized as my PowerDAC YouTube
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #3924
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

ES9038Q2M Board
It's difficult to say what the quality of the regulators are without a schematic; N3 has, and its based on a Walt Jung reg. I noticed the Vref had been replaced with a green LED, it may be low noise but the output will drift with temp, probably not important for most applications, but not good for AVCC.
You can buy a genuine Jung/Didden PCB from the store - link at the top of the page; yes, it probably is the more expensive option but your supporting your favourite web site

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!