Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #3871
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

How about one of these finished boards 16x Digital interpolation filter - drive PCM56, PCM58, AD1865 and so on up to 768 kHz for external filtering?
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #3872
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi wealas,
Close, but not quite. Sabre dacs require 8x interpolation filters, and we would want it to run at non-standard sample rates in order to allow a more relaxed transition-band between stop-band and pass-band. That makes it possible to better attenuate aliasing, while allowing the filter to be very low ripple in the passband and with very gentle rate of phase shift with respect to frequency (group delay). Sabre dacs also use a standard word length of 32-bits, which is likely the required input format needed for compatibility purposes when the dac is configured for external filtering.

But, the basic idea looks right. Program a low-cost Spartan 6 for double precision PCM interpolation filtering, with a good number of taps available. I image 3lite could make the right kind for us or maybe share some code if he were motivated to do either of those things. Actually, I asked about something to that effect and the response back was basically one of no interest: 16x Digital interpolation filter - drive PCM56, PCM58, AD1865 and so on up to 768 kHz
Old Today, 05:19 AM   #3873
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

It has been awhile since I did listening comparisons between Benchmark DAC-3 and my modded dac. Decided it was time to try it again in order to keep myself honest about how much progress I have actually been making.

For the first time I think there is probably reason to believe my modded dac may pretty much have all the problems essentially solved except for the PCM interpolation filter. However, I can't be sure until I have such a filter and can use it to directly compare the modded dac with DAC-3.

Still thinking about what to do next. Undecided for now.
Old Today, 05:22 AM   #3874
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

So once that is done you may be releasing a Benchmark DAC-3 into the wild.....??
Old Today, 10:16 AM   #3875
ClaudeG is offline ClaudeG
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

So, how would you rate now your modded DAC vs the Benchark? What is better, what is still missing?

Re future projects, once you will be done with the interpolation filters, I believe you could start a very interesting new project in form of putting into practice all what you have found (and that is a lot!) nut this time around the new AK4599... while getting perhaps even farther by finding its very own tricks and perhaps even beating the Benchmark fare and square.

I use an old AKM DAC chip and love it, love also their openess re specs and what is inside etc.

Just thinking loud, perhaps even more people would follow you and you would then for sure have a unique expertise as ESS and AKM are the 2 makes that rule all the world, unless you want to go very specific ways (R2R, own DAC, medical chips etc.) that may or may not prove better and that are marginal in terms of numbers.

Just thinking loud, as I follow quietly your thread with lot of interest, so many lessons learned... and perhaps still to learn by finding out how the AKM reacts differently to what we discovered around the ESS?

Have a nice WE

Claude
Old Today, 11:51 AM   #3876
androa76 is online now androa76  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

If you have in mind ak4499...this ic will be far too expenssive and complex for diy...
AK4493 will be better candidate. If happens that you destroy dac new one is easy available and cost far less. I had great results with al4490 and ak4495. AK are very nice sounding.

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!