ES9038Q2M Board

I like to get some ideas about it.
I read lots of pages from this thread but never saw a project of anyone which pictures some upgrades discussed here.
Only some schematics and fancy explanations which are hard to understand for me most of the time.

maybe i'm in the wrong place for this?

Reactions: 1 user
This DAC board (and other similar variations seen in this thread) is unfortunately a bad design. You can moderately improve it by implementing some of the hacks listed in this thread but even then the result is far from satisfactory and not worth the effort. So my recommendation is to try it as it is and if you find it lacking purchase a better board or a complete DAC.

The modifications that most people seemed to think made the most difference were: (1) build a proper 3-opamp output stage, and (2) build a proper AVCC power supply. Both things are a lot of work to diy, particularly item (1). If the interest is to get some experience modding a minimal quality dac and or to learn about factors affecting dac performance, then those changes might be worth making. If the interest is to get a pretty good dac for cheap, the mods turned out to take a lot of time and effort, and maybe required some money for more and better parts. Nowadays its probably cheaper just to buy a Topping or similar dac for a few hundred dollars, or for whatever the budget is going to be.

May I ask what the interest is this time around?

oookay. :-D
so the interest was to build a good dac/preamp/streamer combo which is capable of playing DSD for cheap and has a volume knob.
I didn't exactly know that you also have to lookup the whole design around the chip. cause the chip seemd to be a good one I bought the board for fun.

So actually my goal will then be, just build the combo with the parts I have and run it in my second system for some testing.

Maybe I'll later try to build a power supply into the housing. with some parts mentioned above.

thanks for the help again!

I take it you excluded the load transient response. Why would that be?
Sorry, missed that one.

Edit: Actually the load transient responses are not directly comparable as the capacitance values are different (LT1083 has Cout=10uF, LM317 Cout=0). As far as I can tell with something on Cout and Cadj (dashed lines) there isn't that much difference.

Last edited:
Edit: Actually the load transient responses are not directly comparable as the capacitance values are different (LT1083 has Cout=10uF, LM317 Cout=0). As far as I can tell with something on Cout and Cadj (dashed lines) there isn't that much difference.

I take it we're not referring to the same documents. Here's what I'm seeing (LT317 on the right)

LT1083_trans.png
image_2022-05-19_111157261.png

I take it we're not referring to the same documents. Here's what I'm seeing (LT317 on the right)
If you read again you will notice that the capacitors are not identical even on dashed lines. Both have the same load regulation spec so I would not expect much difference.

Anyhow what is your angle regarding this thread? Both LT1083 and LT317 with their limited bandwidth are woefully inadequate with ES9038Q2M. They can be used as pre-regulators followed by op amp buffers or proper regulators but not for much else.

Like I said already the graphs are not comparable as the capacitor values are not the same. Both have same load regulation spec (typical 0.1%) which should indicate that there is not much difference if any.

This discussion started with Markw4's claim that LT1083 sounds better than LM317 or modern regulators. If you have some proof of that claim then I'm all ears.