Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2018, 09:07 PM   #3381
eslei is offline eslei  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

avcc wiring
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avcc.jpg (975.7 KB, 151 views)
Old 16th December 2018, 09:10 PM   #3382
diyAudio Member

vcca wiring
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vcca.jpg (985.3 KB, 143 views)
Old 16th December 2018, 09:15 PM   #3383
diyAudio Member

3.3v regulator modules are something like this:

10pcs AMS1117 3.3 DC DC Step Down Power Supply Module 4.5V 7V To 3.3V Voltage Buck Board Regulator Adapter Convertor-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

they are a good price, so i just get more to grade them in pairs for avcc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1117.jpg (154.6 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by eslei; 16th December 2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 16th December 2018, 09:19 PM   #3384
diyAudio Member

having big cap is advantage, i use eight 10,000uf rubycon capacitors, 4 for +-15v, 2 for rpi +5v and dac +5v, 2 for dac avcc and vcca.

two 7815, a 7815 and a 7915 are underneath the three 1117's. 2 orange wires are chl and chr avcc, 2 green wires are vcca.

i made several units of this for myself and my friends, we all very happy for the sound quality.

it's quite straightforward, enjoy it.

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9028.jpg (999.6 KB, 137 views)
Old 16th December 2018, 09:33 PM   #3385
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi eslei,
Very interesting approach you take there. You sure do a nice job of unsoldering and cleaning up the PCB. Very nice work.

I wonder if you might be willing to say a little about how you arrived at your particular modding choices? Did you do much trial and error, or just come up with a plan and go for it, or maybe something quite different?

It is interesting to me that you decided to keep the one opamp output stage using voltage mode, even though we know distortion is quite a bit higher that way. Guess you must like it okay, otherwise you probably would have changed it. Wonder if you ever tried Victor's approach to an output stage?
Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM   #3386
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

I plan on stepping forward with a few more mods that I think I can tackle successfully. I don't have the skills to do major surgery like you have, but I think I can handle some of the simpler ones.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #3387
AlexJones is offline AlexJones  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Hello PJN. Could you elaborate a little? I have a board ordered and plan to start with some simple stuff but it would be great to see what you have planned.
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM   #3388
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJones View Post
Hello PJN. Could you elaborate a little? I have a board ordered and plan to start with some simple stuff but it would be great to see what you have planned.
Alex,
One thing you might think about a lot before customizing a case with holes is that you might want to add something like an AK4137 board at some point, but maybe you don't know if you will or which size you might prefer. Also, if going for the more expensive AK4137 it has SPDIF and TOSLINK inputs, which you might want to use instead of or in addition to such inputs on the dac board.

Then there are things you might decide to do like add output stage and or AVCC boards that can take up some space. You might go through some iterations with power supplies before you are done, too.

Various things like that were going through my mind when I looked at what PJN has done so far, and naturally, I'm not sure if it will close the door to some possible mods that might have been good from a sound quality perspective. I hope it doesn't. Of course, there are some people who have ways of making very nice cover panels with new hole patterns and things like that, which can look great. So, while I wait to see what builders will decide they want to do, I would advise those still thinking about how to start out from the very beginning to take it slow and see how sound quality satisfaction is coming along before committing to a mechanical layout beyond what might be needed for testing.

Last edited by Markw4; Yesterday at 10:46 PM.
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #3389
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex,

My strategy for this cheap board was to first see if it was worth doing mods to so I first picked up some decent/ not great power supplies on line. I already had an unused wavio USB to I2S so the basic configuration was set. I built a box from left overs in my garage I did read the super long mods thread here and took screenshots of the mods that I thought I could handle that could improve sound. So far I'm pretty impressed just with the PSU and op amp improvements. My next steps might be PSU improvements to the board and removal of coupling caps, maybe clock farther along.

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!