Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2018, 11:24 PM   #3021
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv187736 View Post
As you’ve suggested, I need to practice and hone my soldering skill before attempting to do the clock change on my final board.
Actually, the last time I swapped out a clock I did it a little differently than before. I removed the old one as usual with Chip Quik alloy.

Then rather than trimming away any ground traces around the solder pads, I observed that all the green solder mask was still in good condition and unscratched, so far so good. Then I put a little solder on the side of the tip of the iron and slid it along one of the solder pads on the bottom of the new clock module. It left a little bead or a bump of fresh shiny leaded solder with a good amount of flux still on it on the bottom of the clock solder pad. I did that for each of the four solder pads on the clock and made sure each little bump of solder was the same height for each pad.

After redoing any that needed it until they all looked the same, then I just held the new clock carefully in place on the dac board with my fingers and touched the tip the iron to the side of the ground pad on the clock to melt the solder I put on the bottom (ground is the one directly across from the clock output to the dac). I then looked to make sure the clock pads were perfectly centered on the dac board solder pads, which they weren't quite. So I reheated the side of the ground pad again and moved the clock slightly into place.

Once it was exactly centered, I heated the other pad sides one at a time. Doing that of course melted the solder I left in place on the bottom of the clock pads earlier, so I didn't need to add any solder at this stage.

As I went around and heated and flowed each one, I checked with a DVM using sharp tiny probes to make sure each pad was soldered and no shorts on any of the pads to ground. It went pretty quick and easy that way. Usually clocks give me more soldering anxiety than any other solder job, but this was the easiest way I found to do it yet.

The reason for anxiety with these clocks is because the new clocks are a little bigger than the old ones. They just exactly fit on the board pads, but only if the clock is perfectly centered.

However, I noticed in Serge's thread that people seem to be able to change the clocks okay. We haven't had anyone yet who said they ran into a problem and had to Chip Quik off the new clock in order to redo it more well centered.
If by any chance it were to become necessary to Chip Quik off a new clock, just be sure to use a small amount so it doesn't get into the slots in side of the clock cover. That might be hard to clean out, so go slow and careful and use the least amount possible would be my advice.

Last edited by Markw4; 20th October 2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:54 AM   #3022
nori1000 is offline nori1000  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Page not found.

Maybe it was something you bought that you had to logon to view? If so, we would need a link to a publicly viewable version.
Sorry
ES9038 Q2M DAC DSD decoding board supports IIS DSD 384KHz coaxial fiber DOP-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 21st October 2018, 10:02 PM   #3023
diyAudio Member

Trying to get setup to do harmonic distortion compensation adjustment. What I found out so far is that the peak level coming out of the computer needs to be less than -6dBFS. Setting it to -7dBFS works fine here. (This is with a 1kHz test tone and 48kHz sample rate, which probably has some influence on the exact distortion threshhold.) Any more output level than that and distortion starts to increase greatly, presumably because of clipping in the multiple layers of SRC between the AK4137 and ES9038Q2M ASRC.

The above seems more or less consistent with my subjective observation that setting the master volume slider for the XMOS sound output device in Windows sound control panel to about 92 out of 100, or so, works well to minimize distortion.

Unfortunately, I seem to be having a problem finding freeware I can use to look at harmonic distortion.

Spectrum Lab used to be a good program, but doesn't seem to work at all well with Windows 10 drivers, and or with multi-channel sound devices (more than one stereo pair).

Arta, in its freeware form is limited to 16-bits which is okay since I have a notch filter and some low distortion post-filter gain. However, the Arta signal generator will only let me turn down the pink noise output to -50dB. There doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off. I can turn on signal averaging in the spectrum analyzer view to reduce noise, but it only drops the generator noise so much. I guess I might be willing to pay for an Arta license for $99, but there is no clear information about what changes with the licensed version. I assume 24-bit mode must be enabled, but who knows what the the signal generator will or won't allow in the way of settings. So forget that.

Besides, I would like to find some freeware anyone in our group could use. I can't see paying $100 for 5 or 10 minutes of one time use to adjust two distortion settings in a dac.

Last edited by Markw4; 21st October 2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM   #3024
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

What about Rightmark Audio Analyser. It's pretty popular here.

Last edited by MrSlim; Yesterday at 12:06 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:43 AM   #3025
diyAudio Member

Rightmark is useless as far as I can tell. I don't want and can't really use an automated measurement system. I just need to generate a 24-bit 1kHz sine wave and look at it with a real time FFT spectrum analyzer that has signal averaging to reduce random noise in the spectrum. Some choice of window functions would be helpful.

Last edited by Markw4; Yesterday at 12:45 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM   #3026
occip is offline occip  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Rightmark is useless as far as I can tell. I don't want and can't really use an automated measurement system. I just need to generate a 24-bit 1kHz sine wave and look at it with a real time FFT spectrum analyzer that has signal averaging to reduce random noise in the spectrum. Some choice of window functions would be helpful.
Hi Markw4,
I posted few RMAA results few months ago
I'm curious to compare your results against mine (modded es9038q2m and tone board)
Occip
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #3027
diyAudio Member

I didn't do any measurements with RMAA. I am looking for a 24-bit signal generator and real-time spectrum analyzer. RMAA doesn't appear to have that. It only seems to have off line file based spectrum analysis. At least, that's what it looks like. There are check boxes for it to run pre-programmed measurements, nothing that looks like it will let me drive.

Last edited by Markw4; Yesterday at 03:55 PM.
Old Today, 02:29 AM   #3028
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have been following this thread with interest. Thanks.
Mark (and others) you may be interested in the ES9038Q2M DAC I spotted on Aliexpress recently -
HIFI DAC decoder player ES9038Q2M USB input decoder XMOS U208 chip receive Bluetooth 5.0 supports DSD512-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
The output stage looks more comprehensive than most other DACs of this type I have seen before, with many through-hole capacitors, allegedly by WIMA.

But what I found particularly interesting is the at the input: it includes an AK4113 s/pdif receiver, an XMOS U208 USB receiver, and a CSR8675 bluetooth receiver. I2S outputs from these 3 chips all go to a XILINX XC3082A chip, and then to a second XILINX chip which I can't identify, before being passed to the DAC chip itself.

Now I have read that the I2S output from the CSR8675 blutooth chip has so much jitter that most DACs are unable to sustain consistent lock. So I think the XILINX chips must be doing some form of reclocking or stabilisation. And I also wonder if these XILINX chips are doing some upsampling, too?

In terms of DAC power supply and DAC output stage, I'm not sure how this particular ES9038Q2M implementation stacks up against the mods under discussion in this thread,
But maybe the XILINX stuff is of interest?

In any case, this DAC seems to offer a decent number of features for under US$200.
Old Today, 05:11 AM   #3029
diyAudio Member

Hi linuxfan,
Thank you for bringing the unit to our attention. However, it is not new. When they first came out I ordered one to check out. If you use the thread search tool and look for 'bluetooth' and or 'su5' you should be able to find everything we have on it.

Bottom line though would be to strongly avoid it. Very difficult to fix into something with decent sound quality. Mine is still in pieces. Just an overwhelming number of problems.

If you are interested in a good dac, I would strongly recommend the one we are modding. The latest one I built with the new AVCC and output stage sounds really good I have to say. I find it to be a true pleasure for listening to music. Haven't really proven it, but I think the optional film caps for AVCC filtering may contribute to its silky smoothness. Of course, it is extremely detailed and accurate too, with great dynamics and deep punchy bass. You will hear things in plain old CDs that you never knew existed before. No fatigue, not clinical at all. The one crazy thing about it is I am the only person in the world to have the whole thing fully up and working.

Also, it can be used with RPi and Volumio to play streaming music if you want. RPi can also be used to tweak dac control registers for best sound quality which does help if the build is clean enough to get the jitter to a minimum. While that would not include bluetooth, it would do a lot of what some people like in a music player. It can also be used as a general purpose dac for mixing records, watching movies, anything people use dacs for.

The only thing at all not to be happy about it is that nobody else has gotten very far with modding one all the way yet. Hopefully, by the end of the year we will start to see some builds come to completion. When that happens I know we will have some very happy owners.

Last edited by Markw4; Today at 05:15 AM.
Old Today, 05:19 AM   #3030
diyAudio Member

As an update on harmonic distortion compensation adjusting software, I received some more information on Arta. I am planning to give it another try to see if I can get it to do what I want. If successful, I will describe the process here in the thread.

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!