Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2017, 08:19 AM   #21
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Ok, more tests and it seems to not be an upsampling effect.

Using a newer version (dietpi/moode testing) with kernel 4.9.52+ with i2s connection direct from Pi and everything works, at all sample rates, except dsd which is dop not native and does not turn the dsd light on..

Lock light only appears after playback is started.
(with usb to i2s the lock light remains on at all times and the dsd light comes on for dop)
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:33 AM   #22
Blackfear is offline Blackfear
diyAudio Member

Hello
How have you installed dietpi/moode testing , according below:
DietPi-Software | moOde * Issue #1223 * Fourdee/DietPi * GitHub

Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 03:52 PM   #23
squinones is offline squinones
diyAudio Member

The board arrives set up for dual rail supply +15 0 -15 volts and the supplies you have linked are single rail. +15 0 volts.

Thank you for pointing this out! I was thinking that I wanna hear how this board sound with a single rail. Have you tested single rail?
Old 22nd November 2017, 04:58 PM   #24
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfear View Post
Hello
How have you installed dietpi/moode testing , according below:
DietPi-Software | moOde * Issue #1223 * Fourdee/DietPi * GitHub

Thanks
Yes, from that link...
Quote:
Automated image installation of moOde:

Currently in testing, under RPi Stretch.
Steps to test the DietPi + moOde installation:

Download the DietPi Stretch image, unzip, and write to SD card: http://dietpi.com/downloads/testing/...6-(Stretch).7z
Download the following automated installation file http://dietpi.com/downloads/conf/moode/dietpi.txt and save it to the SD card /boot/dietpi.txt. This will automatically install moOde on 1st run.
Connect Ethernet.
Connect HDMI if you want to see the installation process.
Eject SD card, pop into RPi and power on
Write the image to the sd-card and, while it is still mounted to your computer, open the boot partition. Find and replace the existing file dietpi.txt with the one you downloaded above.

Eject the sd-card and put it in your Pi. Boot the Pi with an ethernet connection and wait a while (20 minutes to 1hr for Pi 2 or 3. My PiB took a couple of hours.)

Once the activity lights have stopped try accessing the Pi using Nymeria You may have to reboot first.

Do note that the testing version is mpd only so has none of the add-ons shairport bluetooth dlna etc Just the MoOde web interface and player for testing.

Last edited by DRONE7; 22nd November 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 1st December 2017, 11:07 AM   #25
xlisec is offline xlisec  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfear View Post
Hi, i will try it with Kali Reclocker, but still waiting for this DAC from Ebay (hope this week i will test it), but i think that it should work, if kali lock it...
Vita
Hi,
is it working with Allo Kali reclocker?
Old 1st December 2017, 11:30 AM   #26
Blackfear is offline Blackfear
diyAudio Member

Hello, still has no unit, delay caused by spediter, so i cant help you know, but send you then PM i am also from Czech.. regards
Vita
Old 4th December 2017, 04:22 PM   #27
yogilla62 is offline yogilla62
diyAudio Member

A few days ago I launched the ES9038Q2M DAC on Volumio (Rpi2) via i2s.
In the settings I chose digi + pro hifiberry, sound resampling - target bit depth -32
all files are played correctly (dts i'm not sure), but i have a problem with spotify,
you can hear only the noise (in the rhythm of the song) in the right channel.The same hum is also heard when starting Volumio
Old 12th December 2017, 08:54 PM   #28
janos_904 is offline janos_904  Hungary
diyAudio Member

My board have just arrived ! I was surprised, because of the fast shipment and the very good quality. It is so much better than the cheapo ES9018K2M board. There are good quality smd components, and the module comes with Nichicon FW (yellow/black) and Elna RW3 (brown) capacitors. The consumers of the DAC chip are isolated well (see red circles). There are plenty of upgrades available for DIY-ers! I installed a Superreg instead of the KA7808 reg, and +/- 15 V superregs for the opa. The sound with 3 superregs using coax is good, full with live, and detailed even with the stock JRC5532DD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sabre_leiras.jpg (173.2 KB, 1085 views)

Last edited by janos_904; 12th December 2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12th December 2017, 09:40 PM   #29
janos_904 is offline janos_904  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Sorry, 1.26V is the correct value.
Old 13th December 2017, 12:54 PM   #30
freezebox is offline freezebox  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I also got my board (same as the one from janos_904) a view days ago. I am also quite happy with it. Locking via I2S from raspi + HBD+pro works fine and is indicated with a blue LED. Also S/PDIF works fine, but it has a strange programming as I wanted to use the Coax entry for room measurement, using the same DAC as for music. Left channel works fine, but right channel switches off after 20 sec, when no signal is detected on left channel... my logsweep for measurement takes 60s / channel. With a mono sweep it works, just connecting 1 output.

Regarding SQ I am also happy. I measured the different DAC filters Impulse Responses and they seem to work aswell as they should. I decided to use the "fast roll off linear" as it has a symmetrical pulse with lowest pre- and post ringing Amplitude and the widest linear high-range. I have to do a listening comparisson as well...

I removed the 2 nichicon DC blocking Elkos and the 47k ohm tie down resistor from signal Output path and installed an audiofeel descrete opamp with adjustable DC offset for each output. The Sound improvement was not as huge as on my AK4595 board with this descrete amp - even the 5532 already sounds great in this board.

@janos_904, regarding the PSU reg for 8V supply I am not sure if it makes sense to use the super reg here - why donīt you change the 3,3V reg instead which is following the 7808 reg? Which filter setting did you use for listening test? Did you apply seperate PSU for 8V supply (is a PSU it included in superreg?).

All in all it is a well built board, with reliable and solid function and some good possibilities for DIY improvements.

Last edited by freezebox; 13th December 2017 at 01:10 PM.

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!