ES9038Q2M Board

thank you for all your answers and useful info.
I'm just begining in DiY audio.

I think I will go for the new card.
HiFi ES9038Q2M The ES9038 I2S Input Decoder DAC supports DSD | eBay

you wrote there was psu on the board, so I only need 1 torroidal +18/-18V(or +-15V) and 1 torroidal +12V(or 8V) to make it work?

Do you Know if it is possible to play dsd64/128 using Moode or Picore player?

thank you.

you wrote there was psu on the board, so I only need 1 torroidal +18/-18V(or +-15V) and 1 torroidal +12V(or 8V) to make it work?....
There are two PSU on the board, for digital and for analog part.
You can use one torroidal with a secondary windings of 15-0-15 and 0-9 V.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,205
It need just one torroidal +15/-15V on power, it is a good board, simple and gets all points of good sound needed, no LPF, so use RCA out to external amp

It can use Picore but if you connect via I2S you will get native DSD 64/128 not DoP

If it can play native dsd, it's a good thing no?
I only managed to play dsd using DoP for now with my 9018 and 9028 using Moode.
Does native DSD make a difference in terms of sound quality?

I would be interested in these measurements! The main disadvantage of the old board to the new one might be the same ground for digital and analog section as they use the same PSU. In +15V-0V- -15V mode the output DC blocking caps on old board can be bridged and the following tie down resistor can be removed. This might improve the measurement data as an mono-polar aluminum cap is not a good choice for DC blocking in Signal path..

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Here are some measurements on the ES9038Q2M Board.
The first file contains measurements using the original circuit and with a different op-amp.
The second file contains measurements using the original circuit and an alternative output stage.

Attachments

• ES9038Q2M Board test_171124_171215_diyaudio1.pdf
    744.9 KB · Views: 1,422
  • ES9038Q2M Board test_171124_171215_diyaudio2.pdf
    874.4 KB · Views: 1,191
I agree. The output filters are quite similar and use the same topology.
I have measured the performance of the "old" version. In case someone is interested, I can post the results here. Warning: the numbers are not impressive.:eek:

Here are some measurements on the ES9038Q2M Board.
The first file contains measurements using the original circuit and with a different op-amp.
The second file contains measurements using the original circuit and an alternative output stage.

Dang, you're not joking, this implementation must be pretty rubbish. On the other side, Victor did this: Chinese ES9018K2M I2S DAC