Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 07:43 AM   #2981
Sergelisses is offline Sergelisses  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv187736 View Post
Can I seek help from the group?
I have ver 1.04 of the DAC board, with xmos u8 usb to I2S connected to it. However, been using spdif input as I find it SQ better than usb - jumper J3 is shorted per instruction. I ported the DAC board to another enclusure, WITHOUT the xmos us decoder. Now there is no sound coming from it.
Is my understanding correct that the DAC board using spdif input will work even without the usb decoder board? Anyone tried it before? Any clues as to why no sound is coming from it?
Thanks and I appreciate any input.
J2 for SPDIF input
Old Today, 07:58 AM   #2982
dv187736 is offline dv187736
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergelisses View Post
J2 for SPDIF input
It still doesnít work. I donít remember removing the jumper, but just now moved it to J2 and still no sound.
Old Today, 08:02 AM   #2983
Sergelisses is offline Sergelisses  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv187736 View Post
It still doesnít work. I donít remember removing the jumper, but just now moved it to J2 and still no sound.
There is a blue led ( Lock Led ) :The led is blue when a signal ( SPDIF) is present at the Coax input
Old Today, 08:12 AM   #2984
diyAudio Member

There is no blue led lit. The spdif works fine on another DAC but not this one.
I have to recheck any wrong with wiring. Will revert to you after checking. Thanks
Old Today, 08:34 AM   #2985
eslei is offline eslei  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello

Have you changed the output capacitor ?
Serge
hi, there,

i didn't change the output capacitors.

cheers
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #2986
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is a blue led ( Lock Led ) :The led is blue when a signal ( SPDIF) is present at the Coax input
Checked all wiring and sources, everything seems to be in order.

Source computer and usb/spdif (Halide) is okay, as it works on another DAC. Changed shorting caps between J2 and J3 - nothing. There are 2 LEDs,one is lock the other is dsd, no lights. Power source +/-15V is okay.

I tested outside my system, I.e just computer, DAC and earphones nothing coming out. I could hear the sound when power is switched on the earphones.

The only thing I havenít done is to solder back the xmos usb decoder.
Old Today, 02:17 PM   #2987
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
I'm back after kind of taking a sick day off. Thanks to those that provided updates on where we are all at.

dv187736, Could it be that you when you unsoldered the XMOS board you left a solder bridge or some short? The dac board should run fine without XMOS, but there is 5v over there among the I2S pins that could get shorted to something else. If you have a voltmeter you might check that the big regulator on the dac board drops the +15v to +5, and smaller regulator then drops the +5v to +3.3v

If power is okay, then for most of the boards I am aware of J1 selects optical input, J2 selects SPDIF, and J1 and J2 both on or both off selects I2S.

If power looks okay, you have a valid SPDIF signal with the appropriate jumper selected and no shorts anywhere, then the board should work and the lock LED should light up.
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #2988
diyAudio Member

@eslei,
You can probably get much better sound quality if you were to decide to go with the recommended mods. However, if you are happy with what you have then I guess that's fine too.

@Mikett,
Not sure you need to do so much pin bending. I would probably just use wire wrap jumpers for a lot of what you are trying to do. For short lengths there should not be any penalty. Also, if you break off a pin from too much bending, you may be able to scrape off some epoxy from the case and expose enough of the stub to solder a little piece of wire wrap wire to. I broke one once from too much fiddling and was able to patch it as described.
Old Today, 02:27 PM   #2989
diyAudio Member

@Ddenoo,
Good to hear LTC6655 worked out well for you. The whole output stage is very good too.

@Serge,
Thanks buddy for proving to me that people really wanted a pdf with some instructions to give some the confidence to go forward with modding. I didn't believe it at first, but I think you were really onto something with that. By the way, I hope you will decide to do the full mods, I think you will be happy if you do.
Old Today, 03:05 PM   #2990
paulmarinis is offline paulmarinis  Greece
diyAudio Member

hi Mark
I have built the avcc circuit, but in the simple form, exactly as in the ess file, and im using the TPS7A4700 3.3V circuit as a source.
for some reason though when i connect everything up the voltage i get on the output is 3.9V instead of 3.3V
will recheck the conections on the weekend, as i have time to work on the dac only on the weekends

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!