ES9038Q2M Board

Ok, more tests and it seems to not be an upsampling effect.

Using a newer version (dietpi/moode testing) with kernel 4.9.52+ with i2s connection direct from Pi and everything works, at all sample rates, except dsd which is dop not native and does not turn the dsd light on..

Lock light only appears after playback is started.
(with usb to i2s the lock light remains on at all times and the dsd light comes on for dop)

Hello
How have you installed dietpi/moode testing , according below:
DietPi-Software | moOde * Issue #1223 * Fourdee/DietPi * GitHub

Thanks
Yes, from that link...
Automated image installation of moOde:

Currently in testing, under RPi Stretch.
Steps to test the DietPi + moOde installation:

Download the DietPi Stretch image, unzip, and write to SD card: http://dietpi.com/downloads/testing/DietPi_RPi-armv6-(Stretch).7z
Download the following automated installation file http://dietpi.com/downloads/conf/moode/dietpi.txt and save it to the SD card /boot/dietpi.txt. This will automatically install moOde on 1st run.
Connect Ethernet.
Connect HDMI if you want to see the installation process.
Eject SD card, pop into RPi and power on

Write the image to the sd-card and, while it is still mounted to your computer, open the boot partition. Find and replace the existing file dietpi.txt with the one you downloaded above.

Eject the sd-card and put it in your Pi. Boot the Pi with an ethernet connection and wait a while (20 minutes to 1hr for Pi 2 or 3. My PiB took a couple of hours.)

Once the activity lights have stopped try accessing the Pi using Nymeria You may have to reboot first.

Do note that the testing version is mpd only so has none of the add-ons shairport bluetooth dlna etc Just the MoOde web interface and player for testing.

Last edited:
A few days ago I launched the ES9038Q2M DAC on Volumio (Rpi2) via i2s.
In the settings I chose digi + pro hifiberry, sound resampling - target bit depth -32
all files are played correctly (dts i'm not sure), but i have a problem with spotify,
you can hear only the noise (in the rhythm of the song) in the right channel.The same hum is also heard when starting Volumio

My board have just arrived :)! I was surprised, because of the fast shipment and the very good quality. It is so much better than the cheapo ES9018K2M board. There are good quality smd components, and the module comes with Nichicon FW (yellow/black) and Elna RW3 (brown) capacitors. The consumers of the DAC chip are isolated well (see red circles). There are plenty of upgrades available for DIY-ers! I installed a Superreg instead of the KA7808 reg, and +/- 15 V superregs for the opa. The sound with 3 superregs using coax is good, full with live, and detailed even with the stock JRC5532DD.

Attachments

• Sabre_leiras.jpg
    Sabre_leiras.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 3,209
Last edited:
Hi,

I also got my board (same as the one from janos_904) a view days ago. I am also quite happy with it. Locking via I2S from raspi + HBD+pro works fine and is indicated with a blue LED. Also S/PDIF works fine, but it has a strange programming as I wanted to use the Coax entry for room measurement, using the same DAC as for music. Left channel works fine, but right channel switches off after 20 sec, when no signal is detected on left channel... my logsweep for measurement takes 60s / channel. With a mono sweep it works, just connecting 1 output.

Regarding SQ I am also happy. I measured the different DAC filters Impulse Responses and they seem to work aswell as they should. I decided to use the "fast roll off linear" as it has a symmetrical pulse with lowest pre- and post ringing Amplitude and the widest linear high-range. I have to do a listening comparisson as well...

I removed the 2 nichicon DC blocking Elkos and the 47k ohm tie down resistor from signal Output path and installed an audiofeel descrete opamp with adjustable DC offset for each output. The Sound improvement was not as huge as on my AK4595 board with this descrete amp - even the 5532 already sounds great in this board.

@janos_904, regarding the PSU reg for 8V supply I am not sure if it makes sense to use the super reg here - why don´t you change the 3,3V reg instead which is following the 7808 reg? Which filter setting did you use for listening test? Did you apply seperate PSU for 8V supply (is a PSU it included in superreg?).

All in all it is a well built board, with reliable and solid function and some good possibilities for DIY improvements.

Last edited:
Yes, I do have 2 separated supply for ±15 V and 8 V (2 R-Core trafos). The superregs (±15 V) are just excellent, and one leftover superreg panel was used to provide 8 V to AMS1117. 8V superreg is doing the job well, but I am going to compare it to the low noise LT regs (LT3042, 3045) later, or do you reccomend some others? I recommend to replace two 47 uF/50V Elna RA3 to 47 uF Elna Silmic IIs (opa power supply) yielding to more air, and improved middle range.

Hello, board works with Kali Reclocker with no issue, i use only PCM. No pops or crackling sounds like with Audioph. 90028q2m. Sound of this board is very very transparent and full of detail, better than 9028q2m. It is another step...but maybe for someone it will be too much transparent. Also I will change opamp from NE5532 to AD823 or LME49720 and will see if i would get any benefit.
Vita

Digi + play speed problem while play DSD

The problem with your connection is when play DSD or 192/24 hi-res music, play speed is doubled than normal, because it has a single crystal onboard

Your image won't load so I can't see what you have set but...

This is not an i2s output device... it outputs spdif either toslink or coax so you must be sending one of those to the 9038q2m dac...
HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro | HiFiBerry

see attachments...
0=connection x=open...
so coax is J2 optical is J3 and i2s is both J2 and J3

You seem to have it reversed and are using x=connection o=open

If I could see your image I maybe could see if your board is different version.. Mine is VR-1.04

Hello, board works with Kali Reclocker with no issue, i use only PCM. No pops or crackling sounds like with Audioph. 90028q2m. Sound of this board is very very transparent and full of detail, better than 9028q2m. It is another step...but maybe for someone it will be too much transparent. Also I will change opamp from NE5532 to AD823 or LME49720 and will see if i would get any benefit.
Vita

Hi Guys,
Is it possible to connect the 9038q2m card to the kali using i2s directly?
If it is, what driver are you using?

thank you for your help

That AMS1117 could stand to improve with a larger output capacitor, according to the data sheet. Might want to give it a chance before yanking it out.
There was also something in ther about bypassing the adjust pin as well.

I just looked a bit more and noticed that the entire board is supplied with 15-0-15, so I can see the merit of trying an independent supply for the other stuff...

Last edited: