Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DAC blind test: NO audible difference whatsoever
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2017, 01:59 AM   #11
JonBocani is offline JonBocani  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
From my pov your test isn't so much 'flawed' rather the wrong test. I listen to music for how it makes me feel. So I'll continue with equipment which delivers the emotional goods. I'm happy that you've found a super-cheap solution which meets your needs
Based on that comment, you don't understand how an ABX test works.

It's not about ''feeling'' or tastes, it's about being able to identify A from B.

Basically, when done correctly, it's the nuclear option against snake-oil mumbo-jumbo.
Old 13th November 2017, 02:00 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

For your pleasure:

ABX test - Wikipedia
Old 13th November 2017, 02:02 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

bytheway, don't get me wrong: i'm SHOCKED with those results.

I was sure as hell the Forssell was the best DAC in the world (!), but i wasn't even able to spot it against a 30 bucks Fiio...
Old 13th November 2017, 02:02 AM   #14
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBocani View Post
ABX testing method is widely used by multi-billions pharmaceutical companies for decades. In fact, it's a sina que non condition for FDA approval.
But it does not rely on human perception, has far larger sample sizes, and they are interested in drugs that make a difference. All things that do no apply to your ABX test.

And are drug trials really ABX tests?

dave
Old 13th November 2017, 02:06 AM   #15
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Quote:
Based on that comment, you don't understand how an ABX test works.
Based on that comment you're not understanding what I've written.

Quote:
It's not about ''feeling'' or tastes, it's about being able to identify A from B.
Yes, I agree with you.
Old 13th November 2017, 02:31 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
But it does not rely on human perception, has far larger sample sizes, and they are interested in drugs that make a difference. All things that do no apply to your ABX test.

And are drug trials really ABX tests?

dave
You need to avoid the ''placebo effect'' in order to prove the efficiency of a drug.

The placebo effect is proven to be effective (same as the hifi boutique salesperson's speech) so the way to deal with that: they split the test in two groups: one that will take the real drug and the other one with some sugar pill that doesn't make any effect (besides placebo).

At the end, most of the time the two groups will have positive effects and the real drug must prove itself more efficient than the sugar pill (placebo) by a certain margin.

I'm not sure about the details, but i think most drugs needs to pass phase I, II and III, which may require few of these tests, in order to be FDA approved.
Old 13th November 2017, 02:34 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Based on that comment you're not understanding what I've written.

Yes, I agree with you.

Oh sorry i understand. You meant that you're taking the blue pill, fully aware, and are 100% happy with it, even knowing about the red one.

Am i getting it right now ?
Old 13th November 2017, 02:39 AM   #18
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Quote:
Am i getting it right now ?
I can only show you the door, you're the one who has to walk through it
Old 13th November 2017, 02:49 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

That's the difference with me: i cannot forget about the red pill if i know it exists. Even though the truth hurts, i will always prefer that to an illusion.

Red pill and blue pill - Wikipedia
Old 13th November 2017, 02:51 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

DAC blind test: NO audible difference whatsoeverHide this!Advertise here!