Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DAC blind test: NO audible difference whatsoever
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2018, 02:30 PM   #1771
miklos is offline miklos  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You should read the whole thread. The conclusions that Jon made have been thoroughly trashed.

dave
You can trash many things ,except opinions
Old 11th July 2018, 12:59 AM   #1772
Guho is offline Guho  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Just jumped into this thread.

You take conclusion that there is not hearable difference between the DAC's...

But a DAC does nothing more then converting a digital source to an analog output that goes to the AMP's. I mentioned in the start(page 6) that the source is a computer/MAC with toslink SPDIF connected to a "nanoDigi miniDSP".

If the digital source isn't optimal (a toslink output and the processing of the signal by the nanoDigi miniDSP clearly isn't optimal); then it doesn't matter what DAC and AMP you put after that in the chain; it will all sound not good/equally bad. Ever thought of removing the SPDIF part completely and starting with a high end USB I2S source and a proper FIFO reclocker after it to feed the DAC? In my opinion the test is worthless if the source is always the same weak SPDIF input. If the digital input isn't good then the DAC couldn't make it good !

And then the end of the chain; the ICEpower amp's are low-end amplifiers. In my opinion those amp's aren't even close to good enough (99 dollar costing amp's, together with a >3000 dollar DAC?) to make the difference hearable.

I must admit that I didn't read all the 178 pages, but in my opinion your whole way of testing is wrong and that makes your conclusions worthless.

When you do a proper testing between DAC's; you start with really top high end, top of the line sources and amp's. Then you're sure that those aren't the bottleneck of your audio chain. But you did the opposite, you use a low end digital source, and a low end amplifier, and then you expect to hear differences when you change the middle part of it ?? (the DAC) I really don't get it, and you seem to be so sure about your conclusions? I understand that you and the listeners couldn't hear the differences; because your complete setup is low-end(besides the speakers) I wouldn't expect different with that setup.
Old 14th July 2018, 08:09 PM   #1773
kinsei is offline kinsei
diyAudio Member

totally agree, its setup problem, not test method problem, not listener problem
also it might just be some marketing tricks
Old 15th July 2018, 09:56 PM   #1774
dimedrol2 is offline dimedrol2
diyAudio Member

when doing comparisons it's not the price of the electronics used in the test that matters. You can buy any high end snake oil nonsense but unless it's proven by means of measurements to be sufficiently transparent, the price doesn't matter. Hence the conlcusion about the test being flawed by not using high end components is in itself flawed. High End = Expensive <> Accurate.
Old 15th July 2018, 09:59 PM   #1775
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Please, this thread needs killing
Old 15th July 2018, 10:08 PM   #1776
dimedrol2 is offline dimedrol2
diyAudio Member

Why? I find it amusing. After all, aren't all the internet holy wars pointless and leading nowhere? But take them out and people will soon run out of things to discuss.
Old 15th July 2018, 10:12 PM   #1777
diyAudio Member

It was sedated once
Old 15th July 2018, 10:20 PM   #1778
Guho is offline Guho  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Where did I say that the price of the components is the most important?? Where am I talking about buying any high end snake oil nonsense items to the setup? I'm saying that a DAC test should be done with a proper setup where you're 100% sure that the bottleneck isn't one of the other components. With this setup the opposite is done! The digital start is flawed (high jitter motherboard toslink output with bad power regulation in combination with a high jitter DSP output), and the output is not even close as good as it could be(measured, based on facts; there are WAY better amps). So how could you test the middle part(DAC) on that basis? Impossible.
Old 15th July 2018, 10:38 PM   #1779
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

So you are saying the same thing one hears from people selling high end gear. You can't hear the difference between these items until you've spent another boatload of cash on the other items in the chain. The end point is never ending upgrades and the guy doing the selling is laughing all the way.......
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 15th July 2018, 10:39 PM   #1780
diyAudio Member

^ Exactly

He's new here

DAC blind test: NO audible difference whatsoeverHide this!Advertise here!