Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat? Does that make any sense or are they all the same?
Best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat? Does that make any sense or are they all the same?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2017, 04:59 PM   #1
Malefoda is offline Malefoda  France
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Question Best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat? Does that make any sense or are they all the same?

Hi fellows,

I've seen many boards for Raspberry to output SPDIF from the I2S. They "should" have different performances. I can't find any measurements to compare.
It will feed my Buffalo II, mind that its SPDIF receiver (in the ES9018) is "custom and not that bad jitter/clock stories wise". So it rises another question in how much a better SPDIF is wanted if it makes no differences with an ES9018.
Let's assume the better the SPDIF the better the joy of listening music.

Add to that, on the Raspberry side, annoying things like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgames View Post
RPI has an on board xtal of 19.2Mhz. For the 44.1Khz audio the LR Clock must be running at exactly 44.1KHz, but this is not possible since the frequency is not a multiple of 19.2MHz. So RPI will either run at 44.138 or 44.036Khz
And I wonder which is the best solution for the best SPDIF signal.

This chinese copy of the HifiBerry Digi+?
AUDIOPHONICS Digipi+ Raspberry PI A+ B+ 2.0 I2S Digital interface - Audiophonics
HifiBerry Digi+:
HiFiBerry Digi+ – transformer version | HiFiBerry

The JustBoom take?
JustBoom Digi HAT for the Raspberry Pi • JustBoom

The IQaudIO one? Much more components...
Pi-Digi+ I2S audiophile optical / electrical digital for Raspberry Pi

An HifiberryDigi+ Pro and its dedicated XOs? Linked to the 19.2MHz issue?
HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro | HiFiBerry

A so-called pro one (I guess because of AES), the Pi 2 Design aka Pi2Media 502C:
http://www.pi2design.com/store/p15/5...io_Shield.html

The expensive Allo DigiOne:
DigiOne SPDIF Output (EU)

Maybe even consider the Allo Kali prior to one of the said SPDIF hat boards?

Yep, so many trees looks like the jungle to me.

Chime in please

Matthieu

Last edited by Malefoda; 30th November 2017 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added Pi2Media
Old 25th October 2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Gadgety is offline Gadgety
diyAudio Member

I read up briefly on the Kali I2S reclocker. It says "Kali will not work if your DAC is a master. Dac has to be slave." The one thing I've learned is that it's best is if the DAC is the master. So perhaps try the Allo BOSS DAC or the MiniBoss DAC for the PiZero, and save $20. Or get the Kali I2S another DAC and compare. Sell the one you won't use, or use in a different set up. As for tests, seen this? Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Raspberry Pi 3 "Touch" music streamer
or this Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Raspberry Pi 3 & HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro (Audio Streaming).

Last edited by Gadgety; 25th October 2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 25th October 2017, 07:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Gadgety,
thanks for helping, but you misread me, I don't want a DAC, already have it.
What I need to choose is a Digital Interface HAT, and just a SPDIF one.
And wondered in the Kali is of any use in this field.
Old 25th October 2017, 09:48 PM   #4
Gadgety is offline Gadgety
diyAudio Member

Yes, sorry, didn't pay attention to the Buffalo II. I did see the SPDIF reference. I'm still stuck in the SPDIF universe as well (or AES/EBU). Buffalo II is an asynchronous DAC, though, it might not matter much. The only thing that could hurt is your wallet, but if you don't go with that €121 unit, you're not going to be out of a big amount regardless. All units seem to have an isolation transformer. Perhaps worthwhile to check which ones they're using, what the specs are. Without much info about, I'd probably pick on of the the HifiBerrys, their DAC tested well and that digiboard is the basis for it.
Old 27th October 2017, 01:09 PM   #5
raymondj is offline raymondj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I hadn't seen that IQ audio had a spdif and optical solution or probably I would be running one of those due to the price and my earlier excellent experience with the IQ dac+ as a standalone dac used with the RPI.

Currently I am using an RPI with the expensive one into Hypex DLCP and I must say the DigiOne has an awful lot going for it, easily ticking all the boxes and then some. They have just posted a link on the allo website to a recent review, which they are rightly proud off.
The DigiOne was easily configured in Moode 3.8 and was up and running in about 5 minutes from installing with the Pi and then updating Moode settings and a couple of reboots.
Sorry I cannot comment on the others as I haven't heard them. One thing that may affect your choice is availability, some of them can go in and out of stock quite quickly.
Old 27th October 2017, 01:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Raymond,
OK the Allo DigiOne is great, hope so as it's costy . (BTW your sentence was hard to understand for me, at first I tought it meant the Allo is bad... hope my english was better )
Like Eurovision Song Contest, one point for DigiOne from UK.
And I add to the top list the JustBoom digital board...
Old 27th October 2017, 02:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am sure your English is fine, most likely my bad use of the mother tongue.
Old 28th October 2017, 12:55 AM   #8
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Malefoda, you might be interested in my comments about the DigiOne here -
Linear PSU for Raspberry Pi 3, which one? Confused.
Old 28th October 2017, 12:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,
yep I take it as technically more sophisticated, even if reward in SQ is unknown to you. One point from Australia (you were in European song contest right?!) to Allo DigiOne, and maybe the review listed previously adds one as they felt a clear increase in SQ over the JustBoom board.
My target now is: reclock and isolation, leaving me 2 boards, the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro and the Allo DigiOne.
While I'm saving I'll try to find as much as I can on both.

I'm currently running the cheap PiFi Digi+, which sounds not as good as my CD transport (but way better than RPi's USB), hence the thread...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RPI2Digi.jpg (201.4 KB, 857 views)
Old 28th October 2017, 05:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Malefoda,
While you are saving for the next upgrade, and have a few minutes spare are you happy you have exhausted all the setup options for your PiFi Digi+.
I am not familiar with your unit but for instance do you have to use the USB Wi-Fi dongle have you tried an Ethernet connection and turning the Wi-Fi off. Have you tried different sample rates up to 24/192Khz etc. Maybe you could get a few more percentage points out of it. Possibly others would recommend a different PSU over the standard walwart. I guess you have been through most of the related threads, if I am teaching you to suck eggs my appologies.

Best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat? Does that make any sense or are they all the same?Hide this!Advertise here!