Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat? Does that make any sense or are they all the same?
Best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat? Does that make any sense or are they all the same?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2018, 01:26 PM   #21
Malefoda is offline Malefoda  France
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Steal the I2S but its not 44.1 nor 48kHz clock ability AFAIR ='(

here is the plastic "waiting case". Compact but not what I like... later I'll plan some metal around, maybe DigiOne Siganture for the better Jitter management (clocks with lower phase noise they say)... maybe supply ą la Reflektor-D for the DOS...
Must be funny, in a rich man's world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DigiOne.jpg (82.6 KB, 209 views)
Old 6th December 2018, 05:37 PM   #22
The Space Egg Corp is offline The Space Egg Corp  England
diyAudio Member

Wink AH ! ... Nothing like a bit of Swedish pop to liven the senses !

" Must be funny, in a rich man's world "

I'm NOT laughing !

Looks like you got 'The latest Model' ...

Click the image to open in full size.

... BAH ! ... I'm still stuck with the stickingoutyend model II.

Oh I don't mind really ... the new one's only 30 Quid ...

... just managed to score a 'Rolls Royce' Mac on evilBay for 200 smackers though !

It's just not as funky & pocket sized though.

Nice tube-dampers on that new case of yours.

Some swear by atomic Rubidium Clocks, detractors say they have more phase noise ...

... can't win even with loadsamoney.

Yeah your HEAVY METAL case ROCKED ! ...

... I'm feeling really depressed now with my MKII in cheap Space Egg blue plastic.

Ah! ... The Stone Roses out & about LOUD ! on the ol' Sony Pro-Walkman from a +5 TDK-SA ...

... those were the days ... simple & no jitter to worry about, except on Monday mornings.

You can have your pie AND eat it !

Si.

t.S.E.c

Last edited by The Space Egg Corp; 6th December 2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Pasted in that LOVELY uptodate model ... I DON'T HAVE ... bah !
Old 6th December 2018, 05:50 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I think I don't catch all, kinda not right for school your english sir
RPi 2, Moode Audio 4.3 and Allo DigiOne, I can live with it for ever, just sounds good. And Fiio silicon band to hold your headamp and your smartphone
Yep I like Black Metal, Trve Kvlt to heavy metal cases!
As we are here, people with DigiOne Signature?!
Old 6th December 2018, 06:03 PM   #24
olsond3 is offline olsond3  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out the Allo Boss DAC. It has a very low jitter clock and the best implementation of I2S I've seen, with the DAC configured as I2S bus master. There is no better way to do it.

Oops, not really related to SPDIF.

Last edited by olsond3; 6th December 2018 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added content.
Old 7th December 2018, 05:11 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

" Oops, not really related to SPDIF "

Hi Olsond, Malefoda & everyone

I'm sure no one minds that.

Perhaps anyway, IT IS related to SPDIF.

If there is an affordable & perhaps better way, to get a digi-out on the Pi, we wanna know !

I haven't looked into this Pi-DAC or Pi to DAC thing much at all ...

... mainly cos I had wanted a practical & sounds good rec. from someone who's already done it.

But maybe I have a new more DIY idea for it ?

I'm sure Malefoda could just as well add an IS2-In to a DAC, as easily as SPDIF to a Pi.

The clock thing I'm not too sure of though.

I'm thinking 'aloud' here ... as usual !

My experience is really limited to a basic understanding of the 'Classic' Philips TDA1541 in CD player use ...

... & the TDA1541 + 4x Oversampling/or NOS + CSxxxx receiver chip in many typical DACs.

The I2S signal would have to be 're-clocked' before going into the DAC ?

As for example, re-clocking with a simple logic-chip & oscillator, when removing a 4x Oversampling chip.

DOH ! sorry, that is not a very clear explanation OR question.

It's late !

OK ... Specifically, my thought on, let's just say, getting 'Digital' out of a Pi & into a DAC.

I have a nice DAC which is part of a possibly expired-laser Philips based TDA 1541 CD player.

If I were to bin the case, the transport & probably the PSU section as well ...

... draw a line on the board around just the TDA1541 & audio-output section, cut round with a hacksaw ...

... leaving me with just the DAC chip & output stage & possibly it's clock.

If I want the best quality link to the DAC from the Pi ...

... bearing in mind, as my butchered board stands, it doesn't have a receiver chip ...

... what do I need, or have to do, to get I2S out of the Pi & into the DAC at a 'normal' sample-rate of 44.1KHz etc. ?

Either the Pi. must output I2S at 44.1KHz, probably not that well, IF it can do it at all ...

... or I need to re-clock the Pi I2S with a simple DIY logic-chip job ...

... using either the butchered CD players onboard clock OR a new one I've made.

I'm sure you guys know what I'm getting at.

Turn Pi into quality DACed media-player, using old TDA1541 & audio-output section from a bust-transport CD player.

I can work out the 'fine details' myself.

I just can't quite understand how & where the 2 boards would be 'clocked together.

I guess it means 'slaving' the Pi to the hopefully better quality & correct speed DIY or old CD player clock.

I rest my case !

Maybe the best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat ? ... to get Pi digi-out to a DAC ...

... Is in fact an I2S connection, clock, & a couple of sockets on Pi & DAC ?

Si.

t.S.E.c

Best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat? Does that make any sense or are they all the same?-blow-muther-fucker-jpg

If anyone has any possibly useful schematics/drawings of a similar concept ...

... or SPDIF stuff, re-clocking, or anything interesting, please Post them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blow This MUTHER ******.jpg (746.7 KB, 311 views)
Old 7th December 2018, 05:34 AM   #26
olsond3 is offline olsond3  United States
diyAudio Member

The Space Egg: Looks like the TDA1541 chip has an I2S interface. I didn't study it closely, but it appears to handle 8x oversample data rate. It appears to operate as an I2S slave. So you may be able to just connect it directly to the PI, bit clock, data and Word Select lines. Run something like the Volumio software player on the Pi and there is probably a configuration that would work. If you are interested in reclocking to reduce jitter, Raspberry Pi audio DACs, Digi and amplifiers has a board for that. The Boss DAC that I mentioned is only $60 US, so you might also look at that.
Old 7th December 2018, 06:50 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

You can have a look here:
The Raspberry Pi: Audio out through I2S | Dimdim's Blog
The I2S from the Raspberry is badly generated, lot of jitter and the Raspberry can't generate 44.100 as it's not a multiple from its onboard clock.
So people use such thing:
Kali (i2s Reclocker)

Voilą

edit: ok get it cheap with an external USB board (from Pi) to I2S for your TDA1541. Amanero is the famous one, Xmos based may need driver or something like a great cheap M6631A ( CM6631A 192KHZ to I2S and Coaxial Optical SPDIF ). Don't know which is ok with a Pi and the software you want to use, have to check if supported, that may bring you down to fewer boards. Time to read

Last edited by Malefoda; 7th December 2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 7th December 2018, 06:55 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi Olsond

Yes thanks for that.
I think also that the 'vintage' TDA1541 is 'slave' only ...
... BUT it is quite popular to re-clock the I2S input to that DAC.

Both to clean-up average CD-player clock & clock from older CSxxxx chips.
I'm not quite sure how that works though, but have a couple of schematics.

Regular CD & DAC crystal is 11.xxxx ( I have some & oscillators ) ...
... someone was saying Raspberry Pi clock is a different & non-multiple speed. :-(

Is it possible to get I2S at correct speed straight from the Pi without any add-on boards ?
I'm sure a simple & accurate re-clocker for TDA I2S bus, is only a few parts & a clock or osc.

Mmm ...

I read all the << Pages.
Didn't look at the 'hats' though, cos maybe thought I would get away 'HATLESS' ! ;-)

Si.

t.S.E.c

Old 7th December 2018, 09:30 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

" ok get it cheap with an external USB board (from Pi) to I2S for your TDA1541 "

Hi Malefoda

You know what ? ...

... I already have one of those PCMxxxx boards installed for another TDA1541 DAC !

I had totally forgotten about it, cos I don't use USB at all.

My friend Patrick used USB, for Mac to DAC ...

... I always figured he'd do good to get a USB isolator of some sort for that rig.

He said the Thorsten recommended software, for cutting down Mac CPU noise has a significant effect !

But it only works when playing files from your 'puter & not when streaming those horrible Spotty files ! ... YUK ! :-(

He's got the whole shebang isolated by WiFi now & controls it all from his cellphone !

HOLY COW ! ... How many microchips is that ?

Too complex for this ol' 2 transistor analog boy that's fer sure !

L a t e r . . .

TOO MUCH reading to do ... & not enough time before they nail my lid on. ;-)

Si.

t.S.E.c

Old 11th January 2019, 09:50 PM   #30
Giovanni1968 is offline Giovanni1968
diyAudio Member

Hello everybody, I gotta admit I didn't read the whole thread, don't understand the whole tech thing since I am very new to Pi but just got mine today and was up and running in 30 minutes, just got the plain board (3B+) which connects to an external DAC (Beresford Caiman SEG) through USB, I just want to figure if this is a good solution rather than to connect the MacBookAir on need which is not quite friendly even tho using it to arrange playlists, set EQ etc makes it very easy but I want a stand alone solution and as such I am gonna give the Pi a test.

I'd like to skip the USB, which I understand being not the best since it's shared with the ETH (which I use to connect the Pi to a router) and also would like to use a coaxial output so that I can use that input on the DAC and leave the USB for eventual other usage (say the laptop) and the two optical to the TV and CD player so, long story short, without to go for the million dollar board which HAT would you suggest to get optical/coaxial output?

If things work out nicely I am also thinking to get a board to stack either a 2.5" drive or an SSD so that music can be locally stored so I already see the Pi growing like a multi layer cake :-D

Thank you for your attention

Giovanni

Best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat? Does that make any sense or are they all the same?Hide this!Advertise here!