Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat? Does that make any sense or are they all the same?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2017, 06:57 PM   #11
Malefoda is offline Malefoda  France
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
HI, thanks for that helping hand Raymond.
still have to dig Allo vs HifiBerry. As for Moode I've set it to "don't touch the bits please", I want the ES9018 to do the job.
Right now WiFi is for convenience. In fact on a tiny quality shielded remote port, not like pictured. Ethernet is the default setting but the familiy's rabbit decided to cut the line. Will re-wire soon, as my WiFi is too slow and struggles with 24/96 material.
PSUs were in my scope prior to serious readings, but in the case of a full digital Raspberry, and isolated, it's useless.
Really down to the SPDIF interface now, or later on I2S... but SPDIF at its best does sound great to me.
Old 28th October 2017, 10:32 PM   #12
Henderson is offline Henderson
Banned

Hi,

If the spidf hat with its own XO is slavering the Rpi, you will have difference of sounds between two spidf hats according these items:

Quality of the LDO regs and caps decoupling
Quality of the Xtal and their caps decoupling
Quality of the Layout
Quality of the SPIDF plug : bad RCA VS good true 75 ohms proper plug
Quality of the spidf cable (you can hear it)
Quality of the main power supply of the hat (indeed better to be isolated from the Noisy Rpi and not be let it voltage feeded by the Rpi GPIO header)

Of course there is also the quality of the receiver chi^p, but they all uses the same ! and at the end the serie cap for galvanic isolation !

To sumarize : you can hear difference, improve a little at the margin !

My recent experiments show better result with USB to I2S transport than ethernet RpI to I2S transport !

YMMV of course. Pi hat DAC are limited by their layout and space area ! (lost of time for a complete system imho, maybe good enough for a transport with full gadget ? isolator, reclocker, fifo (Kali ? but some bugs seem to occur with this board yet ! Kali II ?)

regards !
Old 31st October 2017, 01:13 AM   #13
dtaylo3 is offline dtaylo3  United States
diyAudio Member

How about Allo Digi One. Supposed to be the best.

Allo DigiOne Player is probably the best Volumio based S/PDIF transport * Volumio
Old 31st October 2017, 04:12 AM   #14
matt_garman is offline matt_garman  United States
diyAudio Member

Malefoda, can your Buffalo accept i2s? With the RPi, I would use something like the Allo Kali or IanCanada's RPi i2s reclocker to feed the Buffalo. I'm pretty sure the RPi spdif boards read i2s from the RPi anyway, then convert to spdif. Most modern DAC ICs take i2s natively, so you might be looking at a conversion back to i2s before the bits actually get covered to analog. (Although iirc the es9018 can do spdif natively too?)

But I am of the opinion that the fewer steps/simpler the better, hence my suggestion of staying in the i2s domain from the RPi.
Old 31st October 2017, 09:54 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylo3 View Post
How about Allo Digi One. Supposed to be the best.
Thanks for the link!
Yep seems it is the best tech and sound wise, period. This is my target now, I mean this one or nothing (got the clone Pifi Dig+ right now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_garman View Post
Malefoda, can your Buffalo accept i2s? With the RPi, I would use something like the Allo Kali or IanCanada's RPi i2s reclocker to feed the Buffalo. ...
But I am of the opinion that the fewer steps/simpler the better, hence my suggestion of staying in the i2s domain from the RPi.
Hi Matt,
yes that's an issue for me. I am struggling with these options, and the possible sync issues and the ability to use my gear somewhere else (SPDIF...).
You can chime in here
DAC (BII & NTD1) under construction, ideas needed to finish it
MiniShark in sight also, but that means I have to keep the miniSharc inside the BII's case for ultra short I2S wires... Or a kind of plug back system as it seems to be tiny board.
My CD transport on the miniSharc SPDIF input, the RPi on the I2S and then the miniSharc I2S to BII... Really don't know and much more money which I don't have now for that. Maybe the Allo DigiOne can be a top waiting solution for some months... years...
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:39 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default RPi digital output boards: a case of SPDIF vs I2S

Let's state that best SPDIF board is the DigiOne, even if Allo replied my mail in a very cold and short answer and the fact reviews seems to be made... by people who get the board as "a gift".
How's the I2S output? Still this low quality I2S issue, and I don't see Allo Kali in the supported device in Moode. And Kali is often associated with hiccups. Other I2S boards? Ian's one is very expensive :'(
But maybe the MiniShac will re-clock/clean the I2S? Some much things to guess or to dig deep in thousands of threads...
Old 28th November 2017, 01:17 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Ok for now I managed to get a DigiOne, I guess I owe you guys a feedback.
It is more clean/focused than the PiFi Digi+ I've used. Now MP3 web radios are MP3 for the worst... and good records terrific!
Old 6th December 2018, 10:59 AM   #18
The Space Egg Corp is offline The Space Egg Corp  England
diyAudio Member

Hi Malefoda :-)

Well I never ! ...

... another TREASURE in a small box !

Click the image to open in full size.

NICE box ! ... I have Space Egg blue plastic, of course, but I like yours a lot.

I have a Pi ... But not much sound action with it as yet.

How's the sound on yours doing ?

I see you have a BNC sticking out there ...

... must be your Hi-End 'Pro' SPDIF connector, right ? ;-)

You got an add on card for the Pi then.

Si.

t.S.E.c

Old 6th December 2018, 11:10 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi... Simon?
That's no more mine, that was a PiFi Digi card and yes integrated with "shoehorn" as we say in french, I guess a tight fit in english (which is close to a fight fit in that case!).
Maybe these were USB ports I've removed, then that "all 75R BNCs at home" connector.
Sound was OK but not as clean/dynamic/real as with the new one.
That non-accurate sample frequency device is gone, I have another tight fit case. And no more WiFi.
Want to see a pic of the Allo Digione intergration of mine?

Last edited by Malefoda; 6th December 2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:42 PM   #20
The Space Egg Corp is offline The Space Egg Corp  England
diyAudio Member

Exclamation DOH ! ... I2S already baked in a pie !

Of course I do !

I looked at stuff like 'Wolfson' DAC hats & stuff I think a while back.

Can't recall what really, other than one with a 'Wolfson' on.

I didn't realise the Pi had an I2S Bus ! ... DOH !

I suppose one could just connect that straight to the DACs I2S Bus & forgetabout SPDIF ?

Best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat? Does that make any sense or are they all the same?-2015-10-29_14-00-11_21_20151029140306427-jpg

Mmm ... I'm an ol' farty Philips fan myself.

Si.

t.S.E.c

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-10-29_14-00-11_21_20151029140306427.jpg (709.1 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by The Space Egg Corp; 6th December 2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Just HAD to show off my Philips badge collection ;-)

Best Raspberry Pi SPDIF hat? Does that make any sense or are they all the same?Hide this!Advertise here!