Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Chinese AK4497 DAC dual-chip decoder board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2018, 01:19 PM   #21
dch53 is offline dch53  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've only tried 44.1kHz so far. I that isn't working there didn't seem much point trying anything higher.
Old 2nd February 2018, 06:00 AM   #22
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

@dch53: Hi again ... I've read through the thread and also taken a look at your scope photos. And if you have connected the wires correctly (BCK to BCK, etc.) then I would have expected it to work.

However, I notice that in one of the first posts another diya member says that there should be an incompatibility between the Amanero and this DAC board due to a different definition of the I2S. Not knowing what this might be I personally would contact with the seller to find out how the standard he uses differs from normal I2S - what Amanero uses. And also to clarify how this seller's recommended USB card is different from e.g. the Amanero. Could be there's e.g. a timing difference (??) between the different digital signals that may not easily show up on a scope (?) ..

Best of luck in finding a solution ...

Jesper
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:54 AM   #23
vacuphile is offline vacuphile  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I just ordered an identical board from AliExpress and will keep you posted as to how it works. But, it may take up to three more weeks before I get it, depending on customs. Could also be 2 months.
Old 3rd February 2018, 12:48 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevoice View Post
@dch53: Hi again ... I've read through the thread and also taken a look at your scope photos. And if you have connected the wires correctly (BCK to BCK, etc.) then I would have expected it to work.

However, I notice that in one of the first posts another diya member says that there should be an incompatibility between the Amanero and this DAC board due to a different definition of the I2S. Not knowing what this might be I personally would contact with the seller to find out how the standard he uses differs from normal I2S - what Amanero uses. And also to clarify how this seller's recommended USB card is different from e.g. the Amanero. Could be there's e.g. a timing difference (??) between the different digital signals that may not easily show up on a scope (?) ..

Best of luck in finding a solution ...

Jesper
Hi Jesper,

Thanks very much for this. Excellent advice. I did message the seller a few days ago but haven't had a response. I'll try again.

I used the link in my original order email and found this:

"7. support DOP- DSD64/128 (Need buy XMOS U8 USB Card)"

I found one here: XU208 XMOS USB card interface U8 upgrade / DAC-in Headphone Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The pin-out looks like this:

XU208 XMOS USB card interface U8 upgrade-DAC.png

The 3 pins that are labelled (GND, DSD and MCK) are the same as the Amanero board. As you said though, maybe there are signal differences. I'll wait and see if I get a reply from the seller.

Dave.
Old 3rd February 2018, 02:47 AM   #25
zenelectro is offline zenelectro  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you have exhausted all other options you might have to buy the recommended USB board to verify it works with the DAC board.

If it does you cans scope the IP's if it doesn't you can get your money back.

They do state that this DAC is compatible with Amanero using revised pinout.

I was interested in trying this board but I couldn't get a straight answer from any of the vendors WRT DSD256 operation.

Terry
Old 3rd February 2018, 04:05 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenelectro View Post

They do state that this DAC is compatible with Amanero using revised pinout.

Terry
Thanks Terry. I didn't see the statement about the Amanero board.

I'm also trying to verify that the information I have on the DAC board USB pin-outs is correct.
Old 3rd February 2018, 05:24 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch53 View Post
Thanks Terry. I didn't see the statement about the Amanero board.

I'm also trying to verify that the information I have on the DAC board USB pin-outs is correct.
Here's a pic of exactly the same board but it's labelled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4497 2.jpg (284.2 KB, 309 views)
Old 3rd February 2018, 05:33 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenelectro View Post
Here's a pic of exactly the same board but it's labelled.
Thanks very much indeed. That's how I currently have the Amanero card connected.
Old 3rd February 2018, 07:35 AM   #29
androa76 is offline androa76  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

And in the middle is another pin ...take a picture of under board to see where it is connected??
With green board it could be connected but with amanero no because it has not spdif pin, that i think must be connected to middle pin.
Old 3rd February 2018, 10:45 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by androa76 View Post
And in the middle is another pin ...take a picture of under board to see where it is connected??
With green board it could be connected but with amanero no because it has not spdif pin, that i think must be connected to middle pin.
Well this is very interesting. On the labelled board I don't think this is a through hole, however this image of non labelled board shows a hole.

Good snooping androa!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4497 3.jpg (408.9 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg 4497 4.jpg (276.4 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by zenelectro; 3rd February 2018 at 10:49 AM.

Chinese AK4497 DAC dual-chip decoder boardHide this!Advertise here!