Chinese AK4497 DAC dual-chip decoder board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
K.GuSS XMOS U8 Digital audio USB Daughter Card

I've received my XMOS card from aliexpress.

I've connected it as per the earlier diagram rather than vertically (XMOS pins to DAC board pins underneath).

Windows 10 doesn't recognise the card. I assume I need a driver. I didn't receive on with the board. I've done some searching.

Do I actually have to pay for a XMOS USB driver?

Thanks.

I've received my XMOS card from aliexpress.

I've connected it as per the earlier diagram rather than vertically (XMOS pins to DAC board pins underneath).

Windows 10 doesn't recognise the card. I assume I need a driver. I didn't receive on with the board. I've done some searching.

Do I actually have to pay for a XMOS USB driver?

Thanks.

They should have advised where you could download the driver.

Hopefully the JLsounds driver recommended by phase will work otherwise contact vendor.

T

Try this U8 driver.

Thanks. This is the first one I downloaded and it works. No output from the DAC board though when wired according to this:

pinouts.png

I haven't connected the pin labelled "COAX" yet though. I'll try that next.

If it still doesn't work I'll ignore the previous image try connecting vertically like this:

4497 5.jpg

appears to be.

Why don't you try the optical in and see if it works, the board has a Toslink connector.

Btw, I bought the same board and it measures somewhat below the specifications of the AK4497, about -110dB vs. -116dB. I am still trying to figure out what can be done, but it is probably not a very relevant difference. One thing that should be modified once you got the board up and running is that the 1uF DC blocking caps (8 pink Wima's) are a bit undervalued for the < 10 kOhm resistance it feeds into; 3dB point is about 15 Hz and you want to get at least an order of magnitude below that. I soldered 220uF electrolytes on the backside of the board, a bit too much but that's is what I had lying around at 6.3V. Now, FR is ruler flat to below 10 Hz.

Will make pictures if you want.

That would be nice vacuphile.

I habe just ordered the same board and I guess it can be modded with some parts.

On Aliexpress you can buy a Deluxe board with upgraded opamps and some capacitors to Nichicon.

Wonder what capacitors that will be. He call is the main filters and 20 little capacitors in think those are the blue little ones.

Opamps are obvious off course.

Here is the link.

Deluxe Dual AK4497 AK4497EQ AK4118 32bit 384K DSD DAC W/ Remote Control Amazing Sounding,XMOS U8 USB,OPA1622 and OPA1611 OPamp
Deluxe Dual AK4497 AK4497EQ AK4118 32bit 384K DSD DAC W/ Remote Control Amazing Sounding,XMOS U8 USB,OPA1622 and OPA1611 OPamp-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to Clipboard
(from AliExpress Android)

One step forward, 2 steps back with the USB input

I had the USB input working, now it isn't.

I connected the USB board holes directly to the corresponding DAC board holes.

USB board 2.png USB board 1.png

and played a 44.1kHz track using Foobar 2000. The DAC board display showed the correct sample rate. Success at last!

However, the sample rate display was flickering so I thought I'd connect the central pin labelled "COAX" to the DAC hole directly underneath it as in the picture posted earlier:

665069d1519738722t-chinese-ak4497-dac-dual-chip-decoder-board-4497-5-jpg

The "xCore USB Audio 2.0" device disappeared from the music server and the OP_OUT LED on the USB board was no longer on.

I tried removing the link from the "COAX" pin but it didn't make any difference.

If I unplug the USB board from the DAC board the LED lights again and the "xCore USB Audio 2.0" device reappears on the music server.

I can only guess that linking the COAX pin on the USB card to the pin directly underneath it on the DAC card has caused some damage. Maybe it's just a coincidence that they are aligned.

I have to say that this project has been a most disappointing waste of time and money - the board itself, the 2 AK4497 chips, getting the chips fitted, the metalwork, 2 Amanero USB cards and now the XMOS card.

I've written to the DAC board vendor twice and also the manufacturer of the board asking for USB card connection information and never received a reply.

Unless anyone has any suggestions maybe it's time to move on and just use the optical and coax inputs.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 871
  • Picture2.png
    Picture2.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 845
Sorry to hear man... Hope i will be luckier.

Which vendor did you bought?

My vendor was straight away.... Amanero is not possible. Didn't tell me why.

Recommended is the Xmos u208 Cpld board.

Maybe try another driver?

CIRY AUDIO XMOS_V3.zip_免费高速下载|百度网盘-分享无限制

Link from here.

XMOS CPLD U208 V2.2 USB digital interface I2S DSD output Suitable AK4497 ES9018 ES9028 ES9038 DAC decoder board
XMOS +CPLD U208 V2.2 USB digital interface I2S DSD output Suitable AK4497 ES9018 ES9028 ES9038 DAC decoder board-in DAC from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to Clipboard
(from AliExpress Android)

Last edited:
Detectit1, I have measured the board with all sort of opamps, but I can tell you that OPA1234, NE5532, LM4592 and even a lowly 833 make no difference in distortion figures. Performance is about 6dB worse than manufacturers specification, but the opamps used are not the limiting factor. There must be something less than optimal with the board design.

I read the AK4497 spec sheet front to end, and somewhere it says that the analogue and digital sections should share the same ground plane, or distortion will be higher than necessary. This board does not have a continuous ground plane, so that might explain it.

In short, the only measurable improvement I found is to bypass the pink Wima's with a large capacity electrolyte (not distortion wise, but it flattens the FR on the low end).

Hmzzz i hear you are an experienced tweaker.
I am a noob on this.... But the seller on AE mentioned other opamps you mentioned.
Thats not a huge difference on which you used?

And changing the capicitors won't help either?

Can we change the common ground plan for the chip on this board with wire jumping? Or it's too easy said?? [emoji16]

But what is your overall impression of this board? Soundwise?

BTW i am also dutch.

Last edited:
Hmzzz i hear you are an experienced tweaker.
I am a noob on this.... But the seller on AE mentioned other opamps you mentioned.
Thats not a huge difference on which you used?

And changing the capicitors won't help either?

Can we change the common ground plan for the chip on this board with wire jumping? Or it's too easy said?? [emoji16]

But what is your overall impression of this board? Soundwise?

BTW i am also dutch.

It is a very good board and it sounds excellent, right out of the box. I will post this weekend what I modified and why, no time right now. My commiserations for also being Dutch :)

Waiting for some parts, RS will deliver tomorrow and then I'll report.

What I can say for now is that distortion-wise, this board can come close the manufacturers specification. Got around -115dB distortion (0.00015%). But noise is still too high, way too high.

So, it'll be mañana, ijs en weder dienende.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.