Chinese AK4497 DAC dual-chip decoder board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
@dch53: Hi again ... I've read through the thread and also taken a look at your scope photos. And if you have connected the wires correctly (BCK to BCK, etc.) then I would have expected it to work.

However, I notice that in one of the first posts another diya member says that there should be an incompatibility between the Amanero and this DAC board due to a different definition of the I2S. Not knowing what this might be I personally would contact with the seller to find out how the standard he uses differs from normal I2S - what Amanero uses. And also to clarify how this seller's recommended USB card is different from e.g. the Amanero. Could be there's e.g. a timing difference (??) between the different digital signals that may not easily show up on a scope (?) ..

Best of luck in finding a solution ...

Jesper

@dch53: Hi again ... I've read through the thread and also taken a look at your scope photos. And if you have connected the wires correctly (BCK to BCK, etc.) then I would have expected it to work.

However, I notice that in one of the first posts another diya member says that there should be an incompatibility between the Amanero and this DAC board due to a different definition of the I2S. Not knowing what this might be I personally would contact with the seller to find out how the standard he uses differs from normal I2S - what Amanero uses. And also to clarify how this seller's recommended USB card is different from e.g. the Amanero. Could be there's e.g. a timing difference (??) between the different digital signals that may not easily show up on a scope (?) ..

Best of luck in finding a solution ...

Jesper

Hi Jesper,

Thanks very much for this. Excellent advice. I did message the seller a few days ago but haven't had a response. I'll try again.

I used the link in my original order email and found this:

"7. support DOP- DSD64/128 (Need buy XMOS U8 USB Card)"

I found one here: XU208 XMOS USB card interface U8 upgrade / DAC-in Headphone Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The pin-out looks like this:

XU208 XMOS USB card interface U8 upgrade-DAC.png

The 3 pins that are labelled (GND, DSD and MCK) are the same as the Amanero board. As you said though, maybe there are signal differences. I'll wait and see if I get a reply from the seller.

Dave.

If you have exhausted all other options you might have to buy the recommended USB board to verify it works with the DAC board.

If it does you cans scope the IP's if it doesn't you can get your money back.

They do state that this DAC is compatible with Amanero using revised pinout.

I was interested in trying this board but I couldn't get a straight answer from any of the vendors WRT DSD256 operation.

Terry

And in the middle is another pin ...take a picture of under board to see where it is connected??
With green board it could be connected but with amanero no because it has not spdif pin, that i think must be connected to middle pin.

Well this is very interesting. On the labelled board I don't think this is a through hole, however this image of non labelled board shows a hole.

Good snooping androa! :)

Attachments

• 4497 3.jpg
    4497 3.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 702
  • 4497 4.jpg
    4497 4.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 675
Last edited:
Here's the original USB bridge

I've found this one that looks just like yours: Free ship K.GuSS XMOS U8 Digital audio USB Daughter Card Support 32BIT Free Shipping-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Have you wired the pins vertically? i.e. from the holes on the USB card to the holes on the DAC card directly underneath? If you can confirm, I'll order one.

Interestingly, I found this one that also looks like yours: NEW Breeze Audio XMOS U8 Digital audio USB Daughter Card Support 32BIT Free Shipping-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

on which the holes near the edge have the same labels as all the other cards and the hole in the middle is labelled "Coax".

I've found this one that looks just like yours:

Have you wired the pins vertically? i.e. from the holes on the USB card to the holes on the DAC card directly underneath? If you can confirm, I'll order one.

As stated, I don't own one myself. None of the vendors could give me a guarantee it would work at DSD256 with appropriate USB bridge.

That 'extra' pin is coming from the clocks by the look of it.

T

A photo isn't going to show that to you. There's a heavy black coating on the board which pretty much obscures all the tracks. I'm also starting to damage the plastic threads on the sockets from removing and refitting the board to the chassis.

I'll order the recommended board and be done with it.

A photo isn't going to show that to you. There's a heavy black coating on the board which pretty much obscures all the tracks. I'm also starting to damage the plastic threads on the sockets from removing and refitting the board to the chassis.

I'll order the recommended board and be done with it.

A couple of points:

- Yes I would get hold of the recommended board, at this stage it's a good option for you to a/ see if it works and b/ scope out the various dig IP's.

- WRT that trace under board, yes it's covered but you can easily see where it's going and that is what you are after, it's destination which you haven't shown.

- From the link you previously posted Libera la nave K. GuSS XMOS U8 Digital audio Scheda Figlia USB Supporto 32BIT Trasporto Libero in Libera la nave K. GuSS XMOS U8 Digital audio Scheda Figlia USB Supporto 32BIT Trasporto Liberoda Amplificatore su AliExpress.com | Gruppo Alibaba

At bottom of page there is a PCB layout. You can trace this unknown OP signal from clocks. There are 2 NC7SZ152 multiplexors. The first switches between 2 clocks (22.xx 24.xx) to supply MCLK. The second switches between that MCLK and something else and goes through attenuator network to your 'mystery pin'.

I would be demanding some information from vendor WRT compatability with Amanero and exactly what this OP from USB board is.

cheers

Terry

A couple of points:

- Yes I would get hold of the recommended board, at this stage it's a good option for you to a/ see if it works and b/ scope out the various dig IP's.

- WRT that trace under board, yes it's covered but you can easily see where it's going and that is what you are after, it's destination which you haven't shown.

I would be demanding some information from vendor WRT compatibility with Amanero and exactly what this OP from USB board is.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I've ordered the recommended board.

I'm still waiting on a reply from the DAC board vendor.

As for where the mystery hole on the DAC board goes, it goes to pin 1 of an AKM AK4118AEQ IC. This pin is labelled IPS0/RX4 which is 1 of 8 inputs to an 8 to 3 input selector. What does that tell you?

Thanks, Dave.

As I am also looking into a new DAC board. Es9038 or Ak4497. I see the PCB layout is exactly the same as the ESS pcb.
I also see in the description of the advertisement that volume control is not visible and anything above 192 kHz it won't display.

It looks more or less like a fast ess to AK conversion board. With flaws.

I am still not confident to buy one of those black pcb boards....
Those blue pcb ak4497 especially stating "don't be fooled real native DSD and not Dop"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180213-120010.png
    Screenshot_20180213-120010.png
    422.6 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.