ADAU1701 DIY articles at Audiodevelopers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is a series of articles at Audiodevelopers Reborn – A collaborative website for active speaker design that explain the basics of programming DSP chips plus a lot of implementation detail, particularly for the ADAU1701. There are also some hardware designs available for download. The site has been up for a while now, but it's starting to get filled in with enough articles that it's worth recommending as a DSP resource.

The next article will be #7, which is a case study using the ADI SuperBass algorithm. The line array design that uses 3 ADAU1701 chips (6 for stereo) will likely be after that, followed by a design using the STA309.

This is my personal site, and there are a lot of "loose ends" that are a mix of abandoned approaches, teasers and placeholders. For example, the DSP test bed was something I started for a project at Parts Express, but it's currently in limbo due to lack of interest. But it takes a lot of time to "clean house" with complicated projects, so the site will probably always have lots of loose ends :eek:

Neil,
I've spent the day reading through the projects and trying to play with PSD and ASD softwares. You've put a good deal of effort in making the writeups a pleasure to read and follow along. There's a lot of time in good content production and i appreciate what you've put together.

I was quite interested in the *SD programs also. Unfortunately they're a bit fickle to use as i'm getting inconsistent bugs and errors in configuration choices. it's odd but i understand the time it takes to work through software. And theres only so much of it between software dev and content production. Its obvious with both that you produce a quality product so I say keep it up! The site is being looked at!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm glad to hear that the site is getting looked at. It's a Wordpress site, so you get detailed traffic reports, but the pages getting the most views aren't the ones I expected to be interesting to this "digital line level" forum, so I was wondering why that was the case.

I haven't updated PSD or ASD in several years, and the last thing I was working on was the code to manage the configuration. A couple of the modules such as the Baffle modeler and Box modeler were originally designed for 3-way configurations or less, whereas ASD was designed to be up to 6-way. I didn't quite finish all of the changes in ASD, and the PSD code got partially broken from the changes. I'll get back to it some day...

I haven't returned to ASD or PSD because most of my recent focus has been to provide a user interface for the microprocessor that controls the DSP. That approach allows using a simple cell phone app to control the DSP, which is something people seem to want. It also means you don't have to use ASD to configure the DSP. But it doesn't completely replace the ASD/PSD features, so I'll get back to those programs in a while. Another reason for holding off on ASD/PSD upgrades is that I really wanted to add some 3D visualizations to depict intensity and phase. That would require a major change from Windows Forms to WPF, but I think that effort would be worthwhile.

I've bookmarked it and will look through it shortly but even without having seen it in detail I will say thanks for doing this! I bought one of the Sure ADAU1701 boards about a year ago and gradually acquired the bits and pieces to talk to it with Sigma Studio. But I have never actually hooked it all up and tried it out. What can I say, real life intervened. I will get back to it someday, perhaps soon. I recently got a MAX98090 eval board and since that is self contained it was super easy to unbox and start working with. So I now have a taste of what chips like this can do.

I have a very different application in mind: active filtering for bass guitars. I'm not sure if this will lead to anything or not and if it does I am not sure if I will use the digital approach to just prototype the final analog circuit design or if I will try to embed a digital engine in a bass. I do know that the ADAU1701 is self contained enough to potentially be a standalone circuit that provides a workable user interface. The MAX98090 is going to need an onboard control computer of some kind to do that....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.