Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

tda1387 dac pcb "front end"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2019, 04:25 PM   #471
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarelephant View Post
Twocents, congrats! I really love the sound Matt's original 1387 hat over headphones. I look forward to your impressions of the imaging over speakers.

Gable,
Your chassis looks very nice. Cool that you have preserved all of the Pi's connectivity options. Are you going to include an antenna for WiFi, or will you strictly use Ethernet? I have modified the 3b+ with an external antenna and can post details and pics if anybody is interested. I even have a few leftover U.FL sockets and shielded antenna cables to share...

I hope to start putting together a Digikey cart for this project over the weekend...
Ultimately, I will likely use ethernet only. However, I have some usb wifi adapters that I've used with other pi's and may test one or two of those.

I would love to see your modified 3b+ antenna setup.

Cheers,
Gable
Old 26th March 2019, 02:42 AM   #472
stellarelephant is offline stellarelephant  United States
diyAudio Member

I am going with Mouser for parts, mainly for ease of ordering with Matt's BOM. I'm still kicking around my final parts decisions with my friend Greg Stewart, but hope to order soon. I think we are going to use the full 2K7 value for our I/V resistors to get max output...Susumu RG series most likely.

As for the Raspberry Pi antenna mod, here are the links that I used myself to get going:
DIYA Member Bvlabs posted some great pics and a link here.
and
This hackaday tutorial describes the mod well too.

Scratching the mask for mounting the U.FL socket is easy. The zero ohm 0201 resistors, however, are on the verge of invisibility. You only have to remove one of them to break the connection to the on-board antenna. You could reuse it to make the connection to the new socket, but it was so infuriatingly tiny, I just threw it out and used a single strand of copper wire to go directly from the vacated solder pad to the socket terminal. My phone pics aren't great, but here they are.

If you aren't using an isolator in you Rpi stack, you WILL hear more WiFi noise leaking into your audio than you did before...for me it is roughtly 2-3x as loud, and I am only using a 3dbi antenna. With an isolator, it is completely gone--just as silent as before the mod. I plan to take the isolator out at some point and see what a ferrite snap bead can do on its own...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-03-02 03.52.21.jpg (158.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE 2019-02-13 21:46:39.jpg (226.6 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by stellarelephant; 26th March 2019 at 02:44 AM.
Old 26th March 2019, 12:52 PM   #473
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

0201 is ultra tiny!

Thank you for the reference material, if I go wifi, I'll definitely try the mod.

tda1387 dac pcb "front end"Hide this!Advertise here!