Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

tda1387 dac pcb "front end"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2018, 09:57 PM   #101
randytsuch is online now randytsuch
diyAudio Member

I've been playing with dietpi recently.

For an easy dietpi solution, use picoreplayer. You just have to download the image, and burn to sd. Picoreplayer is built on a minimal dietpi. It can be both the player and the LMS. If you're familiar with the old squeezebox software, you'll understand this.

Or, on Dietpi, you can choose to install a bunch of programs easily
dietpi programs

Randy
Old 15th March 2018, 02:14 AM   #102
stellarelephant is offline stellarelephant  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Matt, for the helpful suggestions.

Here's what I did that worked:
1) Hooked up a keyboard and monitor
2) Typed in username: "volumio" and password: "volumio" (Hard to remember, eh?)
3) Typed command "sudo alsamixer"
4) Entered that darn password again
5) Changed the PCM level from 40% (-19.65dB gain) to 86% (0dB gain)
6) Never turn off the device again because it resets to 40% at each reboot

tda1387 dac pcb "front end"-2018-03-14-09-35-48-jpg

I have deduced that Volumio initially booted with the PCM level set to 100% (4dB gain...hence all that clipping I heard initially) and then, for whatever reason, because I toggled the volume control preferences via the wifi GUI, it now forever boots to 40%. Both settings are equally useless.

Now I have more questions...
Surely there must be a way to load the correct value at boot time??? And I wonder, why is 0dB not the default in the first place? Is there any reason to believe that this behavior will be different when I ditch the onboard sound for an i2s DAC? Matt, are you managing this setting every time you power up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-03-14 09.35.48.jpg (75.2 KB, 304 views)
Old 15th March 2018, 02:24 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randytsuch View Post
I've been playing with dietpi recently.

For an easy dietpi solution, use picoreplayer. You just have to download the image, and burn to sd. Picoreplayer is built on a minimal dietpi. It can be both the player and the LMS. If you're familiar with the old squeezebox software, you'll understand this.

Or, on Dietpi, you can choose to install a bunch of programs easily
dietpi programs

Randy
Hi Randy,
I really like the Volumio GUI and the ability to control playback from any mobile device on my wifi network. Perhaps I will eventually slip deeper into the world of Linux, and look into the dietpi/picoreplayer option.
Old 15th March 2018, 03:57 PM   #104
matt_garman is offline matt_garman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarelephant View Post
Here's what I did that worked:
1) Hooked up a keyboard and monitor
2) Typed in username: "volumio" and password: "volumio" (Hard to remember, eh?)
I strongly encourage you to invest 15 minutes or so learning how to login to your RPi over ssh. The payback in time will be realized the first time you avoid hooking a keyboard and monitor up to your RPi. If your desktop OS is Windows, use PuTTY as your ssh client. All you need after that is your RPI's IP address, which it appears you already know if you're successfully controlling Volumio from other devices. Bonus: you can take screenshots with your PC OS, rather than physically taking pictures of your monitor!

Quote:
Surely there must be a way to load the correct value at boot time??? And I wonder, why is 0dB not the default in the first place? Is there any reason to believe that this behavior will be different when I ditch the onboard sound for an i2s DAC? Matt, are you managing this setting every time you power up?
I know that in general, Linux supports a way to set mixer values to whatever you want at boot-time. But Volumio is basically a layer on top of Linux, so it might be doing its own thing. Or maybe it does nothing at all, and those are the pure Linux defaults you are seeing? I'd be surprised if you were the first person to experience this, though. You might try searching the Volumio forums to see if anyone else has raised this question.

I am currently using software volume control, so yes, I am changing this setting every time I power up. But I don't have to login and do it through the CLI, I do it through whatever client I'm using to control music selection, playback, etc. Because of my use case, it feels very natural/normal. Plus I practically never reboot my RPIs.

As for I2S DACs: it depends. Simple i2s DACs (like my tda1387 board you're about to receive) don't have any hardware volume control. So there won't even be a mixer device associated with it, and this becomes a non-issue. But fancier i2s DACs, e.g. Allo Boss DAC, will provide a hardware mixer.

Note that if my statements sound conflicting, it comes down to the difference between hardware and software volume control. In my case (simple tda1387 i2s DAC), there is no hardware volume control (and therefore no associated mixer device, i.e. nothing to see in alsamixer). But I am changing volume via software, specifically, by the program that actually plays music (MPD in my case).

Quote:
I really like the Volumio GUI and the ability to control playback from any mobile device on my wifi network. Perhaps I will eventually slip deeper into the world of Linux, and look into the dietpi/picoreplayer option.
I too can control playback from any device on my LAN, with DietPi + MPD. I haven't used piCorePlayer/LMS as Randy suggests, but from what I understand, it's conceptually the same as MPD. I did use Volumio over a year ago, and back then it was using MPD. (Note: it appears to have been completely overhauled since I used it.) But, basically, Volumio just pre-packages MPD (or LMS or equivalent) for you so you don't have to worry about manually installing this or that package, editing config files, etc. Not saying one is better than the other---it's truly a matter of personal preference---just that there are many options, but the end result is more or less same.
Old 15th March 2018, 04:28 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

To enable ssh on volumio, look here
enable ssh
use the 2nd method, just need to check a box at the right place

This might help you actually make the connection
pi ssh page
Old 15th March 2018, 10:15 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

I gather that Volumio is not the only game in town...not by a long shot. At least to a noob, it seems pretty slick though. I haven't downloaded the app to test yet, but I love the idea that my wife and I could eventually both control Volumio playback from our iPhones. Hmmm...it now occurs to me that this situation may well devolve into a perpetual battle of dueling remotes...

Both my"real" computers are Macs, so I'll search out a SSH program for next time I need to access any nitty gritty audio settings on the Pi. Although you just made my day by saying that I may never have to, since the 1387 DAC has no control to fuss with! I prefer to send the full signal out to an analog pot anyway.

Thanks for the links Randy.

Last edited by stellarelephant; 15th March 2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 16th March 2018, 02:53 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

I'm working on a wiki page for my pi project, if you go about 1/2 down this page
My pi project wiki
It talks about connecting from a MAC thru SSH to a pi.

You can use the Terminal program that comes with the Mac OS. BTW, you can also use the same terminal program as a terminal into your mac, if you ever want to do nerdy stuff with your mac lol

Randy
Old 16th March 2018, 07:32 PM   #108
matt_garman is offline matt_garman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Nano Group Buy

I mentioned earlier I was going to do a "mini" group buy with the built boards, but some folks contacted me via PM, and now I only have two(*) left. So it seems silly to go post in the GB sub-forum when there are only two boards available.

So I'll announce it here, I have two TDA1387 Raspberry Pi HAT single-ended boards left. Both were continuously run for at least 24 hours. Price is $20, buyer pays shipping. If interested, PM me and let me know what board you want, #2 or #3 (see attached pic). Numbers 4 through 6 are spoken for.

(*) #07 has the 40-pin header soldered on backwards. I haven't tested it yet (though it could be tested/used with jumper wires, I just haven't taken the time yet). If I can't figure out how to cleanly remove that header, I'll sell this board for $5. At that price, shipping will be the dominant cost! (If you're in the Chicago area, stop by with some good beer and you can have it.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nano_group_buy_tda1387_rpihat_se.jpg (161.3 KB, 272 views)
Old 16th March 2018, 08:20 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_garman View Post
(*) #07 has the 40-pin header soldered on backwards. I haven't tested it yet (though it could be tested/used with jumper wires, I just haven't taken the time yet). If I can't figure out how to cleanly remove that header, I'll sell this board for $5. At that price, shipping will be the dominant cost! (If you're in the Chicago area, stop by with some good beer and you can have it.)
You might be able to cut the connector body off with a good pair of cutters.

Once the body is gone, it would be fairly straightforward to remove the pins one by one. To clean out the holes, but board in a vice, solder sucker on one side and iron on the other side of the hole has worked well for me.
Old 17th March 2018, 10:15 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

tda1387 dac pcb "front end"-img_3125-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3125.jpg (987.6 KB, 260 views)

tda1387 dac pcb "front end"Hide this!Advertise here!