Logically correct/objective audio playback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am a developer and made a lot of changes to mainstream phones to improve sound. Based on my actual knowledge, removing android sound effects (beats, xperia xloud etc), reconfiguring DAC driver (to neutral, hard to explain, as it differs from device to device), installing sound effects with general purpose of: playback gain, DDC (adjusts levels of given frequencies to adapt to loudspeaker/headphone) and bass enhancer (to increase something like wow effect).

Is there a logical component missing to reach the optimum? E. g. a limiter based on speaker size to prevent damage

I will rebuild it with Odroid C2 from hardkernel (as its open hardware), over I2S the Hifi Shield 2 (also from them, has PCM5242). Then Volumio or Ubuntu and search for sound enhancements.

Could you share some tips, what made your equipment sound perfect? Maybe a different DAC with Sabre ESXXXX?)

Really appreciate any tip,
Alex

What I've learned about getting best sound out of a DAC might not be particularly applicable to DACs in phones, but I'll share anyway.

DAC chips are sources of some very high frequencies, many many times higher than the highest audio band frequency (20kHz roughly for young uns). Putting any frequency outside the audio band through active electronics is in general very bad news for sound quality so a DAC chip primarily needs a passive low-pass filter, first and foremost. DACs which incorporate active electronics on chip (opamps) are already compromised in my estimation, what you need is a DAC chip with a current output.

The I-out DAC feeds an LC filter for band-limiting then the output of the filter goes to an I/V stage. Best is one made from discrete transistors as these will be able to operate in classA and won't be so fussy about power supplies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.