Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

7.1 DAC audio preamp for video
7.1 DAC audio preamp for video
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2018, 07:01 AM   #11
carlmart is online now carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Currently, not available for sale.
But you have it here, costing less.

6Way 6Channel Motorized Remote Volume Control Input Selector KIT Audio Amplifier | eBay

The question (for me) is how to make the X6000/ST6000 work so as to assemble a 5.1 or 7.1 preamp.
Old 9th November 2018, 07:14 AM   #12
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

That kit is an input selector not a multichannel volume control.

You need to handle volume control and delay in whatever is decoding the DD and DTS. Also you are missing the whole room correction and tone control that goes with a dedicated processor and that is a must for setting up this kind of system.
Old 9th November 2018, 07:55 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Sorry, you are right. You need a pot like this for that:

ALPS 6x100KA 6-Gang RK16812MG LOG Stereo Motorized Potentiometer Pot 1pc | eBay
Old 9th November 2018, 07:57 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

You do not need room correction or tone control, in fact I should avoid such correction.

You only need level correction for each channel. That you can do individually for each channel.
Old 9th November 2018, 02:53 PM   #15
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
You do not need room correction or tone control, in fact I should avoid such correction.

You only need level correction for each channel. That you can do individually for each channel.
Is this for "Cinema" use? I think you'll be in the significant minority if you don't want any signal processing (unless you sit in a a anechoic chamber, equidistant from each identical speaker)

I'm not sure I follow what you are actually trying to achieve.

If you are looking for a replacement for your Onkyo (junk known to fail) and Denon (should really have lasted better), there is a reason they are packed with DSP and that is because you need it to make the effects work properly.

I'm slightly confused by your use case???

FWIW, I use a 2 channel pre/power set up for my hifi. Here I have a valve preamp into a big power amp. When the valve pre is on, the whole cinema set up is totally isolated from the 2 channel system. When the pre amp is powered down, the FL and FR preamp outputs of the Marantz processor are fed to the power amp (passive pass through) as part of my 9.1 set up. The result is totally uncompromised 2 channel sound for hifi and totally configurable cinema audio when required.

Without understanding why you think you need 6 channels of DD or DTS which are not configurable, I cannot see why you would want to go down this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
Sorry, you are right. You need a pot like this for that:

ALPS 6x100KA 6-Gang RK16812MG LOG Stereo Motorized Potentiometer Pot 1pc | eBay
There are not enough connections on this to control 6 channels!

Last edited by UV101; 9th November 2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10th November 2018, 12:20 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
Is this for "Cinema" use? I think you'll be in the significant minority if you don't want any signal processing (unless you sit in a a anechoic chamber, equidistant from each identical speaker)

I'm not sure I follow what you are actually trying to achieve.
Sorry, but who told you that room equalization is part of the multi-channel level setup? AFAIK only the levels are adjusted.

I have been an audio engineer for movies for about 40 years, and I think my ears have served me and still serve me well to identify an equalization not belonging in the audio track itself. I do not need an anechoic chamber to tell me that.

What I'm trying to achieve is very simple: eliminate receivers. I still need a 5.1 channels preamp, even if I will not be using the .1 surround, as I believe in having my low bass coming from the L/R channels.

I just need the system to feed in an HDMI signal, separate the channels, decode the Dolby/DTS and feed out the analog outputs, that I will input on quality power amps. No equalization of any kind for me, thank you, only that required by Dolby or DTS to recover the coded audio.

If the preamp has a levelling system inside, that's fine. If not I will use my studio microphones and level meters to adjust the channels levels on each amp, adjusting the gain.

Quote:
If you are looking for a replacement for your Onkyo (junk known to fail) and Denon (should really have lasted better), there is a reason they are packed with DSP and that is because you need it to make the effects work properly.
Why do you think you need DSP or any equalization to make effects work properly? Where did you read that? DSP is just a tool for certain things, but certainly not essential to 5.1 to work properly. Once again, you are mixing electronic room equalization, which is debatable, with Dolby/DTS processing.

Quote:
FWIW, I use a 2 channel pre/power set up for my hifi. Here I have a valve preamp into a big power amp. When the valve pre is on, the whole cinema set up is totally isolated from the 2 channel system. When the pre amp is powered down, the FL and FR preamp outputs of the Marantz processor are fed to the power amp (passive pass through) as part of my 9.1 set up. The result is totally uncompromised 2 channel sound for hifi and totally configurable cinema audio when required.
I intend to make it different, using an input selector switch on the L/R amps to get audio from a dedicated Raspberry, probably, connected to my network, with its own DAC.

Quote:
Without understanding why you think you need 6 channels of DD or DTS which are not configurable, I cannot see why you would want to go down this route.
Who said I do not want them configurable? I just don't want them equalized.

Quote:
There are not enough connections on this to control 6 channels!
I'm not sure how they are wired inside. They claim to be 6-channel pots.

But there's also these other two:

Panasonic 6-Gang A10K 10K Audio Motorized Potentiometer 25mm D Shaft | eBay

ALPS 6-Gang A100K 100K Audio Motorized Potentiometer 25mm D Shaft | eBay

These seem to have enough pins for each channel separation.

Pity they do not come in other Kohm values.

7.1 DAC audio preamp for videoHide this!Advertise here!