easyDAC = NOS R-2R AD1862 DAC + Headphone Amp

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
thanks for the reply.

Did you mean instead "less" sensitive ? Even at NOS mode, I find a good crystal to be smoother at ears but never heard the ad1862 with a FGPA.

It's maybe a too fast shorcut but the only R2R I listened to with a FGPA clock was a famous discrete one here and to me he sounded like... (word begins with c and ends with p). Duno if it was about the FGPA being an active part but whatever the source reclocked and a fifo, I could hear each time differences and not for the best... well maybe the problem was elsewhere, I don't know !

A good AD1862 gives for me more satisfactions than modern discrete, as the clock is better whether NOS or upsampled. It is just perhaps FGPA is harder to implement in the layout... I really don't know, or maybe psychoacoustic...

Yes sure for Delta sigmas... Cirius had some good enough to my ears :)

I'm totally vinted though, TDA1541A (S1 or late Taiwans') and AD1862 is good enough, I still have to listen to a dac that eats them ! Maybe last AK chips ? Duno ! Anyway the ESS I heard were borring, but again was it the dac chip or rest of the layout ???
Anyway both for TDA which is not a R2R from my very liited understanding and the more precise AD1862 are both very sensible to the "quality" of the I2S; but I also remember of some good CD player from Teac or latest Marantz with the TDA1541 and simple crystals, all were upsampled and with a filter before on a same chip (while no FGPA). the oldest philips dac chips with all included in a processor - but the clock were tricky to make sounds good from what I remember !

AD 1862 diserves your best care about the input side...thread suscribed :) and sorry for the disgress.

based on the R2R principle, clock accuracy does not play a big role there
I tested the AD1862 with PCM2706 and XMOS (with a good clock) ..
someone measured the jitter on PCM2706 about 3500ps, someone 1000
xmos is max. 10ps
... no audible difference ... perhaps the clock is important if a bad routing is done and then some audible difference is to know, idk
PCM2706 is an fpga in its essence ...
on the other side with a delta-sigma the audible difference appeared immediately

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
You mean 2707 :confused: ? the 2704 is the oldy one usb only & that needs a little oscillating can outside to be slavered... not so bad with the good can btw...

ahaha, not thanks for the ESS, been there, not for me :no:, curious about the last AK flagship though... while I will be really curious to know if I could hear a difference between these 2 dac chips in a same DAC device.

PCM2704 is the cheapest (no I2S), you can test it directly with headphones, full of china stores as a completed usb dac for <5 USD :D (that is what I meant) .. but is not good enough (that is for what you asked) ..
... 2706 is what I tested on I2S with R2R dacs, along with xmos, no difference ... significantly difference on delta-sigma is present (even a better oscillator (tcxo) increased the quality output, but not as much as asynchronous xmos)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Nah I asked for the PCM 2607... my mistake sorry, I inverted the 6 & 7! Btw this is the PCM2706 I already knew not the PCM2704 (my memory beginns to fall). FWIW, never tested myself the pcm2706 with the analog but with the Philips... I don't remember it was something 50 or 100 ps jitter... with a better usb device the Philips sounds much better. Maybe it's enough for the r2r AD1862 while I still suspect a better phase noise in the low end could be even better for the AD1862... of course I have not tested as you did...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Nope, just think an AD1862s Dac for headphone is a good idea because of the dac chip quality in front of affordable good nowadays headphones (I'm listening 99% NOS while I'm not over upsampling idea, just not sure it's important with such a good dac chip and most of reccordings. So if simple enough for me, I have some AD1862 on dip sockets to give a try. little Class A amp in between doesn't look t be difficult either with the tons of good enough diy designs here and there.

Is there no AK receiver chips that could be even better in noise floor than the PCM from TI if the input source is USB wanted ? Did you have a look at EC Designs idea to lower at its lowest the current for the noise with using NOS only with USB 1.0 input circuit ?

Well, forget it about what I say, just wanted to say clock quality seemed important for the AD1862 chip but I have no factual technical facts to argument. Just will lurk to follow your progress and if you like it when firering it.
cheers

AD1862 is perfect (accuracy, excellent Vref inside, glitch-free, current output), power supplies must be +-12V (analog) and +-5V (digital) ... capacitors for stabilization are prescribed tantalum at a ratio of 10:1 (NR1:NR2, like 47u : 4u7), there is some rc filter inside, so i'm not sure about the higher values, low esr audio capacitors worked well (again only low ESR) .... and the I/V converter is important, better if you try more circuits, some of the custom builds do not guarantee the best (ADA4898 or LM6171 in I/V can defeat them)

AK ... idk, here is nice discussion:
AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
some very skilled people had the opportunity to see "inside"

i started to collect the parts since the beginning of april, just finished yesterday, the sound is excellent, from the schematic diagram, you can modify the input signal to i2s direct in, and the better power source, better regulator, the original is dc to dc then 78xx 79xx, but when you power on, i think i dont need to modify the power source and 2706, everything is really ok, sorry, is better than really ok, the opamp i tried op627, muses03, op128, ti5534, jrc5534, S5534, all are ok, finally my ear like ti5534,
but one weakness is headphone amp, this is the first time i listen "tpa6120" amplifier, i tried 2 iem and 1 headphone, all of them no open and no nature, let me run more hundreds hours and will post the result if anyone have interest.
dont think ad1862 is old dac chip, give it a try, good job miro.

Attachments

• IMG-20200430-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200430-WA0001.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 588
Joined 2007
Paid Member
First time power

Sweaty moment, when I plugged in and found out that IC4 got hot. Going through all components in the digital chain I found out, the left row of shift registers was mounted in the wrong direction. Phuuu. So turned them around and now all voltages are ok, throughout to the dip sockets. So now I am waiting for 100R resistors before I move on. Have a good sunday :)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Seems ok now, as I have found out that C2 was flipped by 180 degrees. So turned it and voilá, the pc accepted it :)

So now only waiting for the teh R100 resistors to come.

:)

It seems you have a professional machined rear, and probably front plate. Made locally?

Cheers, Ernst

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi @ernesternest, nice work. I'm looking forward to what you have to say about the resulting sound. Not much people built this piece, you are one of the heroes :sax:

Miro, no real heroe ;-) - I just like to build nice DAC projects like good sounding and easy to carry DAC headamps for work and other places. Have almost finished your AD1862 dac as well and the appropriate PSU. PSU has been finished and dac just needs some lytics, which mouser didn't have available. :)