Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Wadia x64.4 sledgehammer output stage problem
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2017, 02:51 AM   #1
madskaman is offline madskaman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wadia x64.4 sledgehammer output stage problem

I have a wadia x64.4 dac that is acting up on me a bit. I have it working well now, but there's an issue with the sledgehammer output stage. Originally, the unit would not play from one channel via RCA outputs. The other channel worked perfectly. I fussed around a little, changed electrolytic capacitors and relays without any change. Then I realized my issue with the positive signal section of the output on one channel. I swapped the positive and negative input signal and the op amps and now it works.

I've been listening to it this way for months, but I'd like to fix it. Comparing side to side, the thing that sticks out is the resistance to ground. On the channel in question, I'm reading open from signal to ground where in the functioning channel I'm reading 220k ohms. It has been this way the entire time. I also swapped out film capacitors from side to side without any change. At this point I'm thinking I have a broken lead somewhere. Any help will be much appreciated.

So, the other part to this is: is this output stage worth fixing or should I put something else in? I'm sure there are better output stages, but not sure which would be a good match for my dac.
Old 11th September 2017, 02:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've got this sledgehammer output stage out again and I cannot find this issue. Im checking the output of the op amp to ground and I'm seeing open on the bad channel. On the good one I'm reading 5.8mohm to ground. I cannot find any other location where the output is ties to ground or anything g else for that matter. Does anyone have a schematic or any ideas?
Old 18th September 2017, 03:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I decided to run 2 stereo discrete jfet buffers in place of the sledgehammer output stage. I built a 15 volt power supply from it and wires it into the same location. I've had it this way for about a week and have been very happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4625.jpg (758.4 KB, 152 views)
Old 10th September 2020, 09:28 PM   #4
RobertS61 is offline RobertS61  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Strange that nobody reacted.
I have probably the same problem with my Wadia 2000 decoder one channel dead. I have few technical skills so I have no idea how to fix it.
You did well to make your own ouput.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was actually able to fix this board after a while. Ended up being the opamp on one channel after all that. Ha5002 I believe.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

That's great!

The 1000/64.4 and the 2000 are basically the same Decoders I believe. The only thing that differs is the outboard PSU and you need a Digilink 30/40 to connect other sources than the Wadia transports with the 2000.
In that sense the Wadia 1000 is more convenient!

It was an opamp in the Sledgehammer outputchannel that failed I suppose?

Last edited by RobertS61; 11th September 2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11th September 2020, 10:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Wadia 2000, one channel down

One of my Wadia's ( with the NON-Sledgehammer output) has a problem with the right channel.
XLR output is very soft volume and RCA total silent.
I could swap the right output from my working Wadia 2000 decoder, the Sledgehammer version, with the right channel of the non working Wadia 2000.
Would the different outputs matter anything? Do not want to damage the good working right output of course.
First I could measure all the voltages at the terminals from the DAC boards of both decoders to the Outputboards of course.
I can establish if they're the same and if the rightchannel of the faulty decoder is very different and the fault lays somewhere else.
What would be the most likely culprit?
NON Sledgehammer:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...1&d=1599817613
Sledgehammer output:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...1&d=1599817613
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wadia 2000 earlier output.jpg (661.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Wadia 2000 Decoder - Sledgehammer output.jpg (703.8 KB, 100 views)
Old 11th September 2020, 10:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I bet you have a similar issue as I had. Probably a blown opamp. You could swap Opamps on the same channel. See if the rca output comes alive? Another location of failure I have seen of these are the internal connections. Make sure the wires are connected to the terminals. It appears as though they are just pressed into place from the factory. I have found that connection loosens or fails over time causing a similar issue. I’d check all of the connectors. Press the wire into the terminal and make sure they’re seated.
Old 13th September 2020, 09:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Maybe stupid but which are the opamps on the outputboards of the old Wadia 2000?
I only can see transistors but maybe this opamp has another shape?
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...&d=1599985191e

Would be great if it is a connector that's interrupting the signal or current flow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wadia 2000 earlier generation.jpg (617.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Wadia 2000 earlier output.jpg (661.3 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by RobertS61; 13th September 2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 13th September 2020, 10:22 AM   #10
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Are those painted black cans not opamps?

Wadia x64.4 sledgehammer output stage problemHide this!Advertise here!