ADC to rip vinyls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Dimdim,

The PCM4222 supports DSD output, but I have not actually found a way to get that DSD into my PC. The DIYINHK multichannel XMOS board only accepts PCM as input.
Rigisystems' USBPAL allows for DSD recording up to DSD256 if one is able to use an internal "driver" to handle some of the data handling in the PC. I guess it shows but I'm not a programmer myself so I cannot say what is exactly needed - but I've previously spoken with the USBPAL main developer and this is along the line of what he said. The USBPAL also allows for 384 kHz both ways (slave & master).

Cheers,

Jesper

Joined 2017
Paid Member
If you want to use DSD64 (2.8MHz), software conversion, which is easier than HW, is available. I don't know suitable interface of DSD from ADC to PC. The size of PCM 96k/24 and DSD64 almost same. If you want DSD1024 or more, You need to use on the fly conversion.

BTW, I have also digitized my vinyls to PCM.IMHO, digitizing is superior to an analogue player from the point of vibration. When I walk around near the player with the stylus on the vinyl while the turntable stops, my ADC shows noise more than tolerable.
I think vibration of a speaker can't be neglected, though a player has absorber. I wonder this is one reason that vinyls are inferior to 38cm master tape. Digitizing is the easiest solution for this.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi all,

To make it a bit more substantial I just hooked up my USBPAL and this is the dialog that appears when selecting dsd128 in the GUI for the USBPAL. Apparently it is capable of DSD128 (maximum) but I'm pretty sure that the main developer said that it would also be able to handle DSD256. Might it be some kind of ASIO DSD feature that is needed?

Hope this sheds some light on what is required.

Cheers,

Jesper

Attachments

• rigisystems.jpg
    rigisystems.jpg
    757.4 KB · Views: 379
I'm planning to rip all my vinyl collection and I'm looking for an ADC for the purpose so advice will welcome better DIY than device finished.

You might want to pair the PCM4222 with my balanced-in/balanced-out flat (unequalized) preamp: Phono Transfer System - Pro Audio Design Forum

If you go the PCM4222 route add input coupling capacitors to the PCM4222EVM PC board. There is a spot for them.

I use the SPDIF and AES interface to interface to my EMU-0404 and Roland Quad Capture. The Quad Capture converts AES to USB. I prefer the EMU-0404 however.

Wayne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.