Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ADC to rip vinyls
ADC to rip vinyls
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2017, 03:40 PM   #11
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

ADC to rip vinyls
Hi Dimdim,

Quote:
The PCM4222 supports DSD output, but I have not actually found a way to get that DSD into my PC. The DIYINHK multichannel XMOS board only accepts PCM as input.
Rigisystems' USBPAL allows for DSD recording up to DSD256 if one is able to use an internal "driver" to handle some of the data handling in the PC. I guess it shows but I'm not a programmer myself so I cannot say what is exactly needed - but I've previously spoken with the USBPAL main developer and this is along the line of what he said. The USBPAL also allows for 384 kHz both ways (slave & master).

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 1st August 2017, 03:50 PM   #12
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago
diyAudio Member

Isn't clear to support DSD input Jesper.
Old 1st August 2017, 03:58 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

ADC to rip vinyls
@merlin:

Quote:
Isn't clear to support DSD input Jesper.
Hi ... I'm not sure what you mean here - are you not ready/clear to support DSD input or do you mean the USBPAL? I'm sure about the USBPAL (have it myself) and in the setup drop box DSD can be selected. I does require some kind of additional driver/setup to work though.

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 1st August 2017, 09:59 PM   #14
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

ADC to rip vinyls
This USBPAL board seems to be an interesting solution. From what I read it's not clear to me exactly what is missing to do DSD transfer to the PC. If we're talking just about setup, it shouldn't be very difficult to do. But if it's driver related...
Old 2nd August 2017, 04:43 AM   #15
xx3stksm is offline xx3stksm  Japan
diyAudio Member

If you want to use DSD64 (2.8MHz), software conversion, which is easier than HW, is available. I don't know suitable interface of DSD from ADC to PC. The size of PCM 96k/24 and DSD64 almost same. If you want DSD1024 or more, You need to use on the fly conversion.

BTW, I have also digitized my vinyls to PCM.IMHO, digitizing is superior to an analogue player from the point of vibration. When I walk around near the player with the stylus on the vinyl while the turntable stops, my ADC shows noise more than tolerable.
I think vibration of a speaker can't be neglected, though a player has absorber. I wonder this is one reason that vinyls are inferior to 38cm master tape. Digitizing is the easiest solution for this.
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:05 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

ADC to rip vinyls
Hi all,

To make it a bit more substantial I just hooked up my USBPAL and this is the dialog that appears when selecting dsd128 in the GUI for the USBPAL. Apparently it is capable of DSD128 (maximum) but I'm pretty sure that the main developer said that it would also be able to handle DSD256. Might it be some kind of ASIO DSD feature that is needed?

Hope this sheds some light on what is required.

Cheers,

Jesper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rigisystems.jpg (757.4 KB, 265 views)
Old 7th August 2017, 01:12 PM   #17
mediatechnology is offline mediatechnology  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
I'm planning to rip all my vinyl collection and I'm looking for an ADC for the purpose so advice will welcome better DIY than device finished.
You might want to pair the PCM4222 with my balanced-in/balanced-out flat (unequalized) preamp: Phono Transfer System - Pro Audio Design Forum

If you go the PCM4222 route add input coupling capacitors to the PCM4222EVM PC board. There is a spot for them.

I use the SPDIF and AES interface to interface to my EMU-0404 and Roland Quad Capture. The Quad Capture converts AES to USB. I prefer the EMU-0404 however.

Wayne
Old 4th June 2018, 07:21 PM   #18
mcspack is offline mcspack  United States
diyAudio Member

So, I wonder if DSD input on diyinhk multichannel pcb could be enabled via custom FW?
Old 4th June 2018, 08:09 PM   #19
wcwc is online now wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspack View Post
So, I wonder if DSD input on diyinhk multichannel pcb could be enabled via custom FW?

I thought the current firmware has it enabled. Have you tried it?
Old 4th June 2018, 08:55 PM   #20
mcspack is offline mcspack  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh so there is a FW update that has enabled DSD on inputs? I'll look for it. Thanks.

ADC to rip vinylsHide this!Advertise here!