Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DIY ES9038pro Board
DIY ES9038pro Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2017, 12:42 AM   #21
Dimdim is online now Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

DIY ES9038pro Board
So you'll be running it in master mode but using s/pdif? Are you sure that that is a valid configuration?
Old 2nd August 2017, 02:04 AM   #22
BJosephs is offline BJosephs  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
So you'll be running it in master mode but using s/pdif? Are you sure that that is a valid configuration?
Nope, I meant to communicate the opposite. Because I'll be using SPDIF primarily (the inclusion of an I2S and DSD header are a nicety) I don't know if I need any of the clocking functions. As you imply there is no way to back clock SPIDF but I'm not sure if the ES9038 would still need me to set the NCO to match FSR*128 or something.

Brian
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:36 AM   #23
Dimdim is online now Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

DIY ES9038pro Board
If all you'll be doing is feeding it s/pdif, the simplest thing you can do is to supply a fixed MCLK of at least 24.576MHz. But since we are living in a real world, just put in a fast oscillator with the lowest phase noise you can find. 80MHz to 100MHz is best. This way the ASRC will do a better job of de-jittering the signal.

You do not need to do anything with the NCO etc. Those settings are for when you are running the 9038 in master mode with an I2S slave.
Old 5th August 2017, 10:01 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
If all you'll be doing is feeding it s/pdif, the simplest thing you can do is to supply a fixed MCLK of at least 24.576MHz. But since we are living in a real world, just put in a fast oscillator with the lowest phase noise you can find. 80MHz to 100MHz is best. This way the ASRC will do a better job of de-jittering the signal.

You do not need to do anything with the NCO etc. Those settings are for when you are running the 9038 in master mode with an I2S slave.
Thanks!
Old 5th August 2017, 10:20 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Update:

I've tightened up the layout a bit by switching to a smaller oscillator and splitting the digital signals into two headers. The lower left corner is reserved for input power conditioning. I still haven't worked out the power input just yet, whether to bring in a regulated 5V or include a regulator or DC-DC converter on board. Below are screen shots including some close ups of the ES9038 area.
Old 10th November 2017, 11:31 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

OK. I took a break because I was having trouble making decisions about what input formats and connectors to allow for. The board was packed and I wasn't sure I wanted build in the SPDIF conditioning at this stage since I'll be getting 3 boards and they may get 3 different I/O configurations. This new version is less packed and will have input connectors for (probably) 5 of the input pins so I can experiment with different formats. I'm leaning towards having pads for U.FL connectors and holes for terminal blocks. Still not done yet!

Are normal .1" headers "OK" for clock signals at high sample rates? I see them used on reputable boards.

I'm looking for recommendations on solid, low resistance headers or terminals to carry the signals to off-board I/V converters. The DAC want's to see 0 ohms in current mode.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 7.24.46 AM.png (89.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 7.24.56 AM.png (57.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 7.25.04 AM.png (49.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 12th November 2017, 08:19 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

After doing some reading I've decided to go with a simple .2" pitch screw terminals on the input with enough connections for 3 SPDIF + 2 channels of either DSD or I2S. There will be a bottom plane pour over the whole board to help sink heat off the regulators but I have it hidden for now for clarity.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 4.10.52 PM.png (99.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 4.11.08 PM.png (67.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 4.11.19 PM.png (55.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 2nd August 2018, 07:29 PM   #28
synonymous is offline synonymous  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to synonymous
Can you report on your findings and results since your last post? Have you any schematics you'd like to share?

I'm looking at the same DAC in that in the future, after getting results from a 2ch setup, having a multichannel 2.1 or 3.1 arrangement.

Thanks
S
Old 22nd August 2018, 10:31 PM   #29
erikovsky is offline erikovsky
diyAudio Member

Subscribed!

Have you ever think about dual ES9038 design? I know it cost more.

DIY ES9038pro BoardHide this!Advertise here!