Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DIY ES9038pro Board
DIY ES9038pro Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2017, 01:33 AM   #11
BJosephs is offline BJosephs  United States
diyAudio Member

...and There's the possibility of a passive I/V stage. I sent an email to Souter asking about the applicability of their 1465 1:10 DAC transformer. They list the ES9018 so I'm asking specifically if this transformer can handle the 60mA peak to peak of the 9038. I'll report back on what they say. To get a ~3.5V peak to peak signal (+4dbu) the DAC outputs would see about 6 ohms.

I don't think I have the guts to include an I/V on the board right now without having an example to, uh, copy from. I'm reworking the board to include headers only for now.

Brian
Old 1st August 2017, 02:19 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Based on my decision to exclude an IV stage for now I went back and reworked the layout a bit. Attached is the most complete version I have yet. I'll have to rig it up with a passive I/V for testing if I get that far.

Is there a smaller crystal I can consider using? The Crystek CCHD-950 is probably overkill since the DAC will be used in slave mode exclusively.
Attached Images
File Type: png ES9038 DAC .png (102.4 KB, 421 views)
Old 1st August 2017, 02:31 AM   #13
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member

Default XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJosephs View Post
Based on my decision to exclude an IV stage for now I went back and reworked the layout a bit. Attached is the most complete version I have yet. I'll have to rig it up with a passive I/V for testing if I get that far.

Is there a smaller crystal I can consider using? The Crystek CCHD-950 is probably overkill since the DAC will be used in slave mode exclusively.
The Crystek CCHD-575 is available in 100M, and the data sheet shows better performance than that of the 950 (phase noise at 10 Hz). Save ya some board space.
Old 1st August 2017, 04:37 AM   #14
JPS64 is offline JPS64  Germany
diyAudio Member

DIY ES9038pro Board
Can someone post datasheet or NDA doc?

Only 2 layers?

JP
Old 1st August 2017, 11:55 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
The Crystek CCHD-575 is available in 100M, and the data sheet shows better performance than that of the 950 (phase noise at 10 Hz). Save ya some board space.
Thanks, I'll look at it.
Old 1st August 2017, 11:59 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS64 View Post
Can someone post datasheet or NDA doc?

Only 2 layers?

JP
Four layers, I gave some details in the first post.

The forum won't let me attach the data sheet, not sure why.
Old 1st August 2017, 02:13 PM   #17
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member

Default 9038

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJosephs View Post
Thanks, I'll look at it.
I heard that the 9038 can use lower speed clocks, as it has some kind of onboard multiplier, for those who have seen the data sheet, is that correct? If so it might be advantageous to run a standard speed XO, as they typically have lower phase noise.
Old 1st August 2017, 04:34 PM   #18
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

DIY ES9038pro Board
Quote:
Is there a smaller crystal I can consider using?
Hi ... There are some who prefer the NZ2520SD to the Crystek crystals. Size 2.5 * 2 mm. Available e.g. here:

NDK NZ2520SD 3.3V 80Mhz 49.152Mhz 45.1584Mhz 24.576Mhz 22.5792Mhz 12Mhz Ultra low phase noise oscillator - DIYINHK

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 1st August 2017, 09:56 PM   #19
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

DIY ES9038pro Board
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
I heard that the 9038 can use lower speed clocks, as it has some kind of onboard multiplier, for those who have seen the data sheet, is that correct? If so it might be advantageous to run a standard speed XO, as they typically have lower phase noise.
The minimum MCLK is specified as "128fsr" for either synchronous or asynchronous mode, so for 384K you'd need a clock of at least 49.152MHz.

The chips do support an MCLK divider (and not multiplier) but that is meant to be an energy saving feature.
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:14 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I should have mentioned: I plan to use a 100Mhz oscillator and use the NCO value to set it as needed. The clock gear is only a divide by 2, 4, and 8 function, it's the 32-bit NCO that gets you to a specific FSR multiple. I'm honestly not sure if I even need to concern myself with the specific clock frequency if I'm using spdif. The data sheet is unclear but I'll work it out.

DIY ES9038pro BoardHide this!Advertise here!