low cost ADAU1452 China board...

hello,

it's Andrea here, long time lurker and appreciating a lot this community. this is my first post, just registered to signal a China board i've not seen described here.

of course, i've not any economic interest in the vendor. i've just ordered one sample to check the quality because it looks like a compelling price! :) i don't' know what to expect..

i tried to find schematic info and demo project but nothing to be seen.. have you ever heard about this stuff?

bests

andrea

early in August i received the board from China and finally i've been able to program it from Sigma Studio using an utility i developed running on a Arm SBC (Cubieboard with Allwinner A10..)

you can find everything about the experience here on github: GitHub - aventuri/sigma_tcp: a C gateway IP/I2C between Analog Device SigmaStudio and ADAU DSP

if you have questions and issues, let me know here..

in the repo there are the schematics of the board too..

bests

andrea

Hello andreav,
thank you for writing this topic.
i've also bought this eval board, and i hope it'll works as well as my adau1701 from sure-electronics.
maybe i'll ask you for help about your tcp emulation code.
i use cypress to program the adau1701 and i've no bug on win7 using sigma studio.
i develloped linear phase filter for filtering my 2 ways active monitors,but the fir module is too lite,thats the reason why i bought the adau1452.
chears.

sigma_tcp to adau1701..

3point, i hope you'll find driving the ADAU1452 from Sigma Studio using the TCP gateway useful enough.

you'll need an ARM board with Linux OS, anyway. me i tested with a cubieboard, but i suppose any would make it, a Raspi too..

on the other hand, i have too an ADAU1701 board, and i'd like to check if this daemon is working ok also for it..

let you know

bye

andrea

hello andreav,

it seems that there are "mini usb" on the boards (codec and main dsp 1452),i don't see rj45.
on the original A.D eval board, we connect via an usbi controller.
on my "sure" adau1701,there is also an usb"i",and the emulation is made by software, i select usb(not usb "i") connector (communication channels page),but before working with sigma studio, i launch cypress usb (cy console) and load the A.D script for "USBI" named "ADI_USBI.spt"
maybe it is the same process to use our adau1452 chinese board,if "yes" it should be perfect.

Last edited:
ADU1452 USBi interface..

you are lucky: "yes" is the answer you are looking for! :)

let me explain better: the USBi interface is on the PCB footprint BUT the connector is missing.. you have to solder yourself. let me add that i didn't test this working model, but i see the typical 2x5 footprint. let us know if you test it, if it works, please.

if you go this route, you can use your standard workflow and do not need to use the sigma_tcp to drive your developer board and test your ideas.

the program sigma_tcp is useful in a different use case mainly. when you have a DSP already in place into a HW design (together with a Linux SOC supposed to drive it at runtime) and you do want to test different DSP FW setup directly with SigmaStudio (maybe with all the external circuits you need to test, and a devel board doesn't provide..)

hope this explanation better frames the two differen workflows..

Hello Andreav,
I got mine this morning,but nothing works as expected.
I use a usb programmer connected to sda and scl on the adau1452 main board, and both cards connected to pc win7.
The "usb module" from Sigma Studio is green, my programmer is a usbi recognized.
I connect the DSP main board using i2c protocol.
the led on the dsp main board board is green.
when i change parameters on sigma studio,the "capture window" shows parameters changing in green.
it should work isn't it ?
I do "link compile download" -> ok
When i do "link compile download" -> i get an error "communication failure message...."
maybe i do something wrong,but i don't know where,and i have a question for you Andrea.
did you achieve to program the DSP, and load your "desired self boot mode" with your own developement, or not ?
thank you for answer.(sorry for my bad English)

hello,
well well well ! i don't understand why i've no sound on spdif or/and analog output.
i don't find how to configure the register controls.
can someone help me please ?
everything seems to work well except sound output.
i use "tone 1" with a sinus that feel all outputs. no error when i compile download,and when i write registers.
cheers

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I'm having trouble making this board works with a freeUSBi hack.
The 10 pins connector your are refering to is wired to the non implanted STM32, so it is not a USBi port. The communication port is the 5 pins port with SPI and I2C pins.

SigmaStudio detects the freeUSBi fine (showing green)
SigmaStudio reports a USB communication error when I²C is selected and a register is changed.
SigmaStudio reports no error when SPI is selected but writing/reading random data manually fails.

Did someone managed to get this to work ?

hello
PureBasic,usbi pins goes "nowhere" on this board.it missed the eprom.
i don't understand what you mean or expect,with the link you pointed.it is only made to draw pcb for another project,that is not the same as this 'poor' chinese board.
i also tried the miso/mosi pins (spi) but nothing changed,the board "refused" to enter in "write mode".
i'll test the ad1938 ad/da on my adau1701, just to understand if the dsp board is not working, and in this case,the chinese board will directly goes to the trash.
the project,andreav, linked has been made by BAIDU,who is the programmer of this dsp board, so, if this board is working, andreav should have answered me,even if we use the board with differents ways.
another thing, when you do a "compile downolad",(just before writing the flash memory),sigma studio,and the dsp board,never mind wich model it is, shows the level meter "lighting".
sorry,but i've watched the video from andreav more than 10x, but the meters doesn't move.that is strange,and i still don't understand why.
well, i just regret to have own this toy.
and finally,i get the same problem than 2 other customers who bought it.
never mind,next time i'll ask me why the price is so "lite" befor buying an electronics card.
i also read the pdf andreav linked on github, there are 3 swicht on this board,i'm sure we should force the board to enter in "write mode" by pressing the MP7 switch.
PureBasic, did you try this solution ?
adau1452 on spi and also the eeprom.no error, i can read all the registers that are written on the dsp memory,but whe i change a paramater,do a "compile download", i get no sound,and the meters also doesn't move.
cheers.and good luck.

PS: if one of you could made a better video,showing all the process, "compile download" a project on wich there is a level meter "dancing",and after, writing the memory, i'll believe if this dsp board is a toy or not,and in this case,it will proove that my board is not working.thank you

schematic of the "poor man" board..

hello,
sorry to be late to the party.. :)

about the schematic, i asked that to the aliexpress vendor and he gave me this stuff.

i did'nt check that the 5x2 connector was bound to the (missing) MCU on the board instead of being the USBi/"freeUSBi" link. sorry to hear that it doesn't work "out of the box".

me, i'm prettty fine programming the board with my I2C tool using an ARM SBC. the tool is freely available on the aforementioned link on github.

sadly enough, the tool can write only the registers, because i didn't spent the time to implement the readings. other tasks with higher priorities.

if i'll find some time i'll try to make anwaya a video with both a programming session using the TCP connection and with audio passing through the analog i/O (and the codec AD1938..). stay tuned!

andrea

Hey hey guys !

I took a look at your work andreav. Very nice :)
I don't have the skills in embedded linux and network to do that haha !

So far I didn't tried to have sound passing trough the dsp, I just checked that I could communicate with it, and it seems to work. I can read/write registers.
Now I need to hack an old sound card and get I2S lines going on. And also, I checked that the changes I do in SigmaStudio are visible in the hardware. For this I just changed the inputs clocking from 50/50 duty cycle to pulse and checked the actual changes with a DSO.

I don't think the board is flawed in any way. But yeah, chinese are really bad at documenting. When I buy a board like that, i know I'm trading time for money :)

The ADAU1452 is here, it is powered and clocked. The rest are just wires and resistors and drivers problems and reading the datasheet and learning SigmaStudio.

Ok, I'll try to reply to your points 3point.

usbi pins goes "nowhere" on this board.it missed the eprom.
Those are not Usbi pins, or EEPROM. It is surely a communication port for the STM32 that is not implented in our boards. There are two UART and one SPI port in this connector. And it makes me wonder why was this board created for...

i don't understand what you mean or expect,with the link you pointed.it is only made to draw pcb for another project,that is not the same as this 'poor' chinese board.
It gave me big clues about what could be wrong in the chinese board, and how to use the ADAU1452 SPI port. Also I wired the SPI based on this schematic and with the free USBi schematic. I didn't used any external components.

i also tried the miso/mosi pins (spi) but nothing changed,the board "refused" to enter in "write mode".
There is a 3 way jumper on the board for Selfboot On/Off selection. I can't communicate with it when selfboot is on (blue led after power up). When selfboot is off, the rgb led is showing a dim green after power up. After link compile download it is lit green.
You need all the 5 pins of the header to be connected to the freeUSBi:: GND, MISO, MOSI, SS and SCLK. In sigmastudio, SPI address 0

i'll test the ad1938 ad/da on my adau1701, just to understand if the dsp board is not working, and in this case,the chinese board will directly goes to the trash.
I didn't ordered the AD1938 with it. I will use the board with a old Delta1010 soundcard rack.

adau1452 on spi and also the eeprom.no error, i can read all the registers that are written on the dsp memory,but whe i change a paramater,do a "compile download", i get no sound,and the meters also doesn't move.
You are getting close. :)

PS: if one of you could made a better video,showing all the process, "compile download" a project on wich there is a level meter "dancing",and after, writing the memory, i'll believe if this dsp board is a toy or not,and in this case,it will proove that my board is not working.thank you
I'll try. Not today because I have no time but surely during the week.

Okay guys, back on one of my project.

I've got the board working in I2C without much difficulties.

@Andreav I really need your lights with the sigma_tcp source on your Github. I opened an issue. Something is making the whole thing crash when trying to read a register on the ADAU1452 from SigmaStudio 4.2. Also kudos because the official sigma_tcp is not even working, even for a write command. I might try to flag the compiler with what you added and retry. Hope you are still there somewhere.

hi @PureBasic! nice to see you working on this stuff..

i'm still here.. more or less.. don't know if i have time to follow you up on the bug about reading regs from ADAU.
currently my focus is on different stuff (FPGA!)
hope to find some time eventually if you do not find you way out..

bye
AndreaV

Hi Andreav.

Wow, FPGA ! Very nice.

Okay, I may give this i2c/tcp communication fault another shot later. From what I've seen, SigmaStudio is issuing a command that is not recognized by the tcp_ip bridge... Which is weird. Will dig more into this if needed but ability to upload a program is already cool.

I'm also trying to run the Audio Weaver core on a STM32H7. It's promising and way more flexible than the Sigma DSP lines, but needs more work on my side.

Also very interested by FPGAs. They looks like the perfect fit for audio applications where power is not an issue. Custom hardware audio pipelines look like sweet madness. What vendor did you choosed ?

++
-B