low cost ADAU1452 China board...

Anybody played with this board?

ADAU1401/ADAU1701 DSPmini learning board (upgrading to ADAU1401).|board|board board - AliExpress

61d0vI56j6L._SY355_.jpg

I got Sigma Studio talking to the board, but it doesn't seem to save the program on the e2prom.

It says it is written, no coms failure. However when I reset the power it goes back to the default program flashing the LED.

I right click on the ADAU1401 IC then select 'write latest compilation to e2prom'.

s47QR6W.png

iI have that board, and IIRC did not have any problem saving the program to the eeprom.

Are you using an USBi?

Hi!

I'm using the Cyrus programmer with drivers from FreeDSP. I have had no problems using it with the 1452.

I think the problem might be the eeprom 'WP' write protect pin. What did you do with it? Do I need to ground it, or pull off a resistor or something? There are no jumpers!

I got it working!!

Yes, the 'WP' pin stands for write protect (which I'm supposed to just know?) and it must be manually grounded when you hit 'write to eeprom'.

I'm unsure why the ADAU1401 doesn't automatically pull the pin low when doing a write command... the datasheet says that's how it should work.

Do not ground the WP pin before turning it on, or the ADAU1401 can not boot. Also remove the jumper to ground as soon as the data is written before you remove power. When the power is removed it can write crap to the eeprom and corrupt the data.

In summery:

1) Boot the board and 'link, compile, upload' your program in Sigma Studio.
2) When you want to save it to EEPOM, add the WP to GND jumper. Write the EEPROM.
3) Remove the jumper.
4) Power off the board.

I got it working!!

Yes, the 'WP' pin stands for write protect (which I'm supposed to just know?) and it must be manually grounded when you hit 'write to eeprom'.

I'm unsure why the ADAU1401 doesn't automatically pull the pin low when doing a write command... the datasheet says that's how it should work.

Do not ground the WP pin before turning it on, or the ADAU1401 can not boot. Also remove the jumper to ground as soon as the data is written before you remove power. When the power is removed it can write crap to the eeprom and corrupt the data.

In summery:

1) Boot the board and 'link, compile, upload' your program in Sigma Studio.
2) When you want to save it to EEPOM, add the WP to GND jumper. Write the EEPROM.
3) Remove the jumper.
4) Power off the board.

Glad you have it working!

That little board seems very good, and also has the multipurpose pins exposed, so it's possible to expand it a little more. I have been asking how to do that, like add a potentimeter for volume and use external DAC's for additional outputs.

I managed to get my DSP sounding. I grabbed the default schematic that I've got from the seller and started striping parts.

It seems that not all Aliexpress's ADAU 1452 are the same. Mine has an STM32 single-chip micro controller on the board. Others don't seem to have it.

My analog inputs are 4, 5, 6 and 7 and my DAC outputs are 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 and the "routing matrix" seems to be different, as it's working with a different configuration that the one showed before.

Still, I did not wrote the E2Prom yet...

I attached a few pictures of my DSP board and the codec board. I am not an expert, but It would be great if we could have a complete "How to" guide for thes ADAU1452 boards, as they are very cheap (around USD$55 shipped) and quite powerful, actually quite a lot more than the standard miniDSP 2x4 which is around USD$80 w/o shipping.
Hello!
Maybe the seller sent you the tools or source codes for the SMT32 microcontroller?

I managed to get my DSP sounding. I grabbed the default schematic that I've got from the seller and started striping parts.

It seems that not all Aliexpress's ADAU 1452 are the same. Mine has an STM32 single-chip micro controller on the board. Others don't seem to have it.

My analog inputs are 4, 5, 6 and 7 and my DAC outputs are 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 and the "routing matrix" seems to be different, as it's working with a different configuration that the one showed before.

Still, I did not wrote the E2Prom yet...

I attached a few pictures of my DSP board and the codec board. I am not an expert, but It would be great if we could have a complete "How to" guide for thes ADAU1452 boards, as they are very cheap (around USD$55 shipped) and quite powerful, actually quite a lot more than the standard miniDSP 2x4 which is around USD$80 w/o shipping.

hello mga2009.
I have the same black board and unfortunately the problem of no sound routing. Can you send me the original sigma file from the seller? I would be very grateful. Does describing the Eprom work for you via the i2c connection?

I'd like to ask what exact method you guys have used to install the Cypress USB driver for use with sigma studio?

I wanted to document it for an Instructables so removed the driver then tried to do ti again but I've found it very variable.

It used to be installed as 'Analog Devices USBi (Programmed)'.

Now when I install it, it calls itself Cypress Boot Loader' but it does still work. Is this something to do with having the EEPROM jumper on or off during install?

Also, if I tell windows to search in the driver folder it installs it as EZ-USB but it says the device doesn't work. I need to use 'Have Disk' and manually install it.

I find it all rather confusing.

Hello!
Maybe the seller sent you the tools or source codes for the SMT32 microcontroller?

No, the micro controller is above my knowledge, so used my USBi ans I2C.

hello mga2009.
I have the same black board and unfortunately the problem of no sound routing. Can you send me the original sigma file from the seller? I would be very grateful. Does describing the Eprom work for you via the i2c connection?

Send me an pm with your email and I will send you the default SigmaStudio schematic.

I still don't try to write my eeprom, so IDK if it will work proporly.

Hello Tenson,

I have the very same board, in fact two of them. Did you manage to use the self-boot mode? I am unable to do so, I bought the second board just to eliminate possibility that the first one was broken, but the second one behaves in the same way. I checked all that that I could and to my best knowledge, everything is according to the datasheet: WP high, selfboot high.

Long story short, I can only run DSP programs when the programmer is connected to the system. As soon as I disconnect it and reset power supply, ADAU board instead of reading my program from EEPROM returns to its default program (which simply bypasses the signal from inputs to outputs and blinks the on-board LED). Therefore I am unable to use it as stand-alone device as every power supply reset brings it back to its default prg.

Hi Tenson,

I just noticed that you already posted a solution earlier! I read the topic like 2 months ago and then it wasn't there, now got here through google and your latest answer was on a new page so I didn't see the previous post!

However, I am happy to report that method you described works flawlessly! Excellent, thank you very much for your contribution ;)

Thanks regnet for the files, it helped a lot to get the DSP up and running. Everything works wonderfully.
To write the Eprom from the DSP I had to use SPI connection.

I did some research and found out how the EZ USB Programmer with freeusbi driver communicates directly with the DSP board via SPI. The connection is very stable! See graphic for pin assignment. it also works with the 2 jumper board

I've already customized the original Sigma Studio file for my purposes. The DSP offers a solid basis to control my diy active speakers. Can you use the STM32 microcontroller on the DSP somehow directly an LCD display; to connect ir remote and rotary encoder for control, or is it only used for communication with Arduino ...?
IMG_20200716_073804.jpg

Could someone make an project with an two way crossover to get me started I would be very happy.
SDIF in two I2s out.
I bought an 1452 but its a little to much for me to bridge the first schematic building.
I have connect with it but a little lost and not much info or no an easy walk through.
:)