low cost ADAU1452 China board...

Hi Andreav.

Also very interested by FPGAs. They looks like the perfect fit for audio applications where power is not an issue. Custom hardware audio pipelines look like sweet madness. What vendor did you choosed ?

-B

as every "self respected" geek :) , i have quite an array of FPGA!
i started with the X brand, but currently i find compelling to work with the free and open toolchain nextpnr, that can deploy for Lattice Ultraplus and ECP5, than i'm keeping an eye open on the Chinese Anlogic as they ranks in between of those FPGA.

these FPGA family are "way smaller" if you compare them against larger X & A parts, but for Audio DSP tweaking are already quite usefule (the large FPGA are mandatory just on ASIC replacement and high-end SDR IMHO!)

bests
andrea

I've just ordered one of these ADAU1452 boards from AliExpress (not arrived yet).

I'm a but confused about the connection method for using with Sigma Studio. Reading this thread I gather it needs to use SPI interface (unless ressitors are changed to enable I2C).

Can I talk to this with any USB to SPI interface? I have one from CSR that I used to program bluetooth modules. I would have expected Sigma Studio to talk to a com-port and the drivers in windoze do the rest?

I'm also confused about USBi. Never heard of it before. From what I can gather it is simply AD's USB to SPI interface chip, were some of you thinking the PCB had one onboard (or running in software on the missing ST micro?) so you could connect the header directly to USB? Should I understand Sigma Studio will only talk to AD's own USB-SPI chip?

Thanks for any clarification!

Last edited:
Hi Tenson,

I'm a but confused about the connection method for using with Sigma Studio. Reading this thread I gather it needs to use SPI interface (unless resistors are changed to enable I2C).
Actually, I²C is the default communication mode of the ADAU1452. You won't need to do anything besides connecting SDA and SCL. IIRC, the I²C address is 0x76.
Also, the I²C and SPI pins are shared, and the ADAU is switching to SPI mode after the SPI_CS pin has been toggled three times (by making three fake SPI writes for example).

We were also confused because there is a 10pin port on the board looking like a standard USBi port, but it might be the JTAG of the not implanted STM32. Didn't looked further into this. Don't need, don't care.

Can I talk to this with any USB to SPI interface? I have one from CSR that I used to program bluetooth modules. I would have expected Sigma Studio to talk to a com-port and the drivers in windoze do the rest?
Oh boy, you're in for a ride !
I understand Sigma Studio will only talk to AD's own USB-SPI chip?
The USBi shenanigans is a way for AD to make more money. An expensive interface you may only use one time before ditching your project... By looking at the price, you can tell the interfaces for the SharcDSPs are 24k gold plated and stuffed with caviar. :D

Sigma Studio is not aware of any other interface with the exception of TCPIP->Linux->I²C (which is bugged and doesn't work correctly).

So yes !

• SigmaStudio will only talk to the USBi driver.
  • Then the USBi driver talks to an FX2LP EZ-USB chip from Cypress Semicon, given it has the right PID and VID.
  • When connected, the driver automagically pushes a firmware in the FX2LP enabling communication on the hardware level, and you're in.
The problem here is that you need and FX2LP with the right PID and VID. It is possible to change this with some Cypress tools but you will install a gazillion software that you don't need, and you don't care because...

FreeDSP made a driver, and it is working like a charm. So, you need this kind of board, four jumper wires (two for power, two for I²C) and this github repo: https://github.com/freeDSP/freeUSBi/archive/master.zip

Good luck. Tell me if you need more info, I can take a look or take pictures of how I wired my board exactly. ++

PS: The FreeUSBi driver is unsigned, if you are on windows 10 you need to reboot in advanced mode to be allowed install it.

Last edited:
ADAU1452_SPI&I2C connect

Attachments

• AD1452_DSP_PCB及接口说明.jpg
    AD1452_DSP_PCB及接口说明.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 955
  • ADAU1452-I2C.PNG
    ADAU1452-I2C.PNG
    6.2 KB · Views: 943
  • adau1452-spi.PNG
    adau1452-spi.PNG
    6.2 KB · Views: 919
  • USBi.jpg
    USBi.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 917
  • AD1938_PCB及接口说明.jpg
    AD1938_PCB及接口说明.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 929
  • ADAU1452_192tdm .zip
    88.9 KB · Views: 285
I don't think I'm getting this to work, can someone tell me what is wrong?

I checked the resistors on the ADAU1452 core board and it is set for I2C.

I have both PCBs powered from the same PC USB ports, so they share GND and VCC.

I seem to have the programmer board communicating with the PC, SigmaStudio shows the USBi programmer as green.

I linked the SDA pin on the programmer to the SDA/MISO pin on the core board. The SCL pin on the programmer to the SCL/SCLK pin on the core board.

I tried various address options on SigmaStudio but when I request to read the EPROM all I get is endless FFFFF. Similarly if I read all registoers from the ADAU1452 I can see the value on the AuxADCs never change even if I adjust the variable pot.

EDIT: Oh I got it talking to the ADAU1452! Just restarted everything, used I2C register 0x76 and got it reading all registers and showing changes on the ADC value.

Now to work on that eprom..

Last edited:
Hi Tenson,

Actually, I²C is the default communication mode of the ADAU1452. You won't need to do anything besides connecting SDA and SCL. IIRC, the I²C address is 0x76.
Also, the I²C and SPI pins are shared, and the ADAU is switching to SPI mode after the SPI_CS pin has been toggled three times (by making three fake SPI writes for example).

We were also confused because there is a 10pin port on the board looking like a standard USBi port, but it might be the JTAG of the not implanted STM32. Didn't looked further into this. Don't need, don't care.

Oh boy, you're in for a ride !
The USBi shenanigans is a way for AD to make more money. An expensive interface you may only use one time before ditching your project... By looking at the price, you can tell the interfaces for the SharcDSPs are 24k gold plated and stuffed with caviar. :D

Sigma Studio is not aware of any other interface with the exception of TCPIP->Linux->I²C (which is bugged and doesn't work correctly).

So yes !

• SigmaStudio will only talk to the USBi driver.
  • Then the USBi driver talks to an FX2LP EZ-USB chip from Cypress Semicon, given it has the right PID and VID.
  • When connected, the driver automagically pushes a firmware in the FX2LP enabling communication on the hardware level, and you're in.
The problem here is that you need and FX2LP with the right PID and VID. It is possible to change this with some Cypress tools but you will install a gazillion software that you don't need, and you don't care because...

FreeDSP made a driver, and it is working like a charm. So, you need this kind of board, four jumper wires (two for power, two for I²C) and this github repo: https://github.com/freeDSP/freeUSBi/archive/master.zip

Good luck. Tell me if you need more info, I can take a look or take pictures of how I wired my board exactly. ++

PS: The FreeUSBi driver is unsigned, if you are on windows 10 you need to reboot in advanced mode to be allowed install it.

Hi,

Sorry my ignorance, but you only need this board (at USD$4.33 shipped) to program the ADAU1401/1701/1452? Or you need other hardware?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

I2C may be the default for the adau1452 but if you have bought the core board it is wired for SPI, it will need the the 0 ohm resistors changing as per the info in the schematic to work with I2C.
I'm using the Sure Electronics / Wondom DSP programmer with my core board in I2C mode.

Nice tanks alot, I may have swithced the jumper res but didnt remebered that :x

@revber thanks for the schematics ! Useful !

@mga2009 you just need that board yes. Take a good read in the FreeUSBi documentation before ordering. One board type is a bit more daunting to work with. Not dramatic tho.

I've read the thread carefully.

I am using the ADAU1452 from Aliexpress with my FreeUSBi, and managed to compile and download (I am not getting any error) and it seems to work because every time I press F7 I hear a "bip" from my speakers... the thing is I am not getting any sound!!

I configured everything as Tenson thankfully showed, but still no sound.

I am using analog inputs/outputs without any sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Did you set the routing matix?

ASRC 0 should be 'Serial Input CH0/1' and 'From SPDIF receiver'
ASRC 1 should be 'Serial Input CH0/1' and 'From Serial Input'
ASRC 2 should be 'Serial Input CH16/17' and 'From Serial Input'

Yes, I've set the routing matrix just as you showed, and on the right side, every "Serial Out Port 0/1/2/3" is set to "From corresponding DSP core output channels".

One strange thing is that in my "Schemtaic", there is no "Output 1", from 0 it jumps to 2 up to 47.

Here is a capture of my schematic.

One thing to consider is that I still don't write the eeprom, so every time I unplug the DSP, it goes to it's normal state.

Attachments

• Captura3.JPG
    Captura3.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 630
  • Captura0.JPG
    Captura0.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 595
  • Captura1.JPG
    Captura1.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 574
  • Captura2.JPG
    Captura2.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
I managed to get my DSP sounding. I grabbed the default schematic that I've got from the seller and started striping parts.

It seems that not all Aliexpress's ADAU 1452 are the same. Mine has an STM32 single-chip micro controller on the board. Others don't seem to have it.

My analog inputs are 4, 5, 6 and 7 and my DAC outputs are 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 and the "routing matrix" seems to be different, as it's working with a different configuration that the one showed before.

Still, I did not wrote the E2Prom yet...

I attached a few pictures of my DSP board and the codec board. I am not an expert, but It would be great if we could have a complete "How to" guide for thes ADAU1452 boards, as they are very cheap (around USD$55 shipped) and quite powerful, actually quite a lot more than the standard miniDSP 2x4 which is around USD$80 w/o shipping.

Attachments

• Captura1.JPG
    Captura1.JPG
    742.1 KB · Views: 361
  • Captura2JPG.JPG
    Captura2JPG.JPG
    694.1 KB · Views: 503
  • Captura3.JPG
    Captura3.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 331
Last edited: