FreeDSP AES/SPDIF IN: no sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have recently built three FreeDSP classic units and two FreeDSP AES/SPDIF IN modules and I can't seem to get sound working via SPDIF on either of the two digital input boards. The analog sound works fine on all three FreeDSP modules, as does the free USBi module which I have been using to program the boards.

I have tried using the SPDIF outs from both a Focusrite Saffire LE and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and I can't even get the SRC locked LED to light up on either board. The pots attached to the GPIO pins on the digital input board do work however.

I have inspected the CS8422 QFN solder joints with a magnifying glass and there doesn't seem to be any solder bridges, although I am only new to surface mount soldering so it's possible there is a short underneath the QFN package that is not visible from the outside. I would like to rule out any other problems before I go re-flowing the chip though.

I have used the sample project 2.1 XOver from the FreeDSP GitHub https://github.com/freeDSP/freeDSPx-AES-SPDIF-IN
and I have set the pin jumpers to be the same as the sample photo. I am going to have a poke around with my housemate's logic analyser once he gets it back in a few days time, but until then I'm stumped as to why the boards don't work.

I have parts for a Latent Labs SPDIF DSP coming in the mail so that might possibly help me troubleshoot the fault as well, since if I can get that to work but not the FreeDSP then I might be able to figure out where the problem is.

Is there anything crucial to getting the SPDIF IN module to work that I have missed? The two main things that I can think of at the moment are that the CS8422 is shorted/not corrected properly, or that I have missed something on the software configuration side. Has anyone got one of these things to work and can point me in the right direction? Any help would be much appreciated

edit: pictures of boards https://imgur.com/a/F9CbV

Last edited:
Hi krumpinjugger, do you have an update? Did you get it to work? I am in the same boat. I want a ADAU1701 based dsp for active crossover and input will also be a Focusrite 18i20 spdif to transfer digital to dsp.

Am looking at any freedsp solution or this board of 3e who is known on this forum for his amps (which i also bought). Need an spdif solution to input into the DSP...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.