Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Valve DAC from Linear Audio volume 13
Valve DAC from Linear Audio volume 13
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2020, 05:20 AM   #771
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Agent.5. Both the reclocker and Valve DAC boards have 'Amanero pattern' headers so I just plugged them together, paying attention to orientation/alignment of course. Does that answer your question?
Old 27th August 2020, 05:22 AM   #772
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks. It is enough for me to research and get the answer.
Old 27th August 2020, 05:29 AM   #773
diyAudio Member

Matching the pin outs of the connector, it appears that DSD1 is connected to DSDLA and DSD2 is connected to DSDRA.
Old 27th August 2020, 05:37 AM   #774
diyAudio Member

I've attached screengrabs from the schematics (yellow=reclocker, white=Valve DAC). It's slightly confusing because the header numbering is different on the two but if you renumber one or the other it'll all fall into place.

I installed my BBB/reclocker combo under the Valve DAC board, positioned so that the Valve DAC plugs straight onto the reclocker header (you just need to experiment to get the relative heights of the standoffs right). I have a mechanical drawing with the drill holes for both the Valve DAC and BBB stand-off drill holes correctly positioned if that would help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (46.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (61.2 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by nautibuoy; 27th August 2020 at 05:43 AM.
Old 27th August 2020, 05:47 AM   #775
diyAudio Member

Some pictures might help?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 27th August 2020, 05:55 AM   #776
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I got it. I am working on something and want to document all the connections.
Old 27th August 2020, 06:06 AM   #777
diyAudio Member

Old 27th August 2020, 03:16 PM   #778
diyAudio Member

The first Valve DAC GB PCB (my spare from the original purchase) is on its way to torb in Finland today.

Also, I've had an enquiry from a potential late arrival GB subscriber - if they follow up on their interest everyone will see a small reduction in the unit costs of the PCBs - I will post an update if it happens.

I've received deposits from everyone (except for one subscriber who made me aware that he's away until early September) so all good. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by nautibuoy; 27th August 2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 27th August 2020, 03:25 PM   #779
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibuoy View Post
I've attached screengrabs from the schematics (yellow=reclocker, white=Valve DAC). It's slightly confusing because the header numbering is different on the two but if you renumber one or the other it'll all fall into place.

I installed my BBB/reclocker combo under the Valve DAC board, positioned so that the Valve DAC plugs straight onto the reclocker header (you just need to experiment to get the relative heights of the standoffs right). I have a mechanical drawing with the drill holes for both the Valve DAC and BBB stand-off drill holes correctly positioned if that would help?
It looks like I messed up with the DSD64_128 and FS0...FS3 pins. They are grounded now, which doesn't matter when you use the reclocker, but matters when you connect an Amanero Combo384. A workaround is to remove these pins from the header.

According to https://www.amanero.com/drivers/combo384-D.pdf , DSD64_128 is open drain, so grounding it does no harm. That still leaves FS0...FS3.

Maybe I used this datasheet by mistake, which has them all NC: https://www.amanero.com/drivers/combo384-D3.pdf

Last edited by MarcelvdG; 27th August 2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 27th August 2020, 03:49 PM   #780
diyAudio Member

Thanks Marcel, I was going to ask you about that...

Can you add the info to post #1 in case someone uses an Amanero.

Ray

Valve DAC from Linear Audio volume 13Hide this!Advertise here!