DigiOne RCA/BNC output for RPI

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm now a happy DigiOne user. Yes, far cleaner than a standard Digi board.

But I face a problem, it's meant to be with my RPi with other stuff in a metal case.
will screwing the BNC to the case spoil the isolation? Even if nothing else is linked (floating case can be done).
If it is best isolated from case, how than can be done, as it's not an isolated BNC?

Last edited:
Like sckramer noted before, the digione deserves more attention. I have it running for approx. two months now, and is is a marked improvement over my xmos usb 2 spdif converters ( stello u3 and waveio), better separation, very natural sounding. But only when using the bnc connector. For some reason that delivers better results. The rpi 3 is powered by the allo power supply.

I am interested in how you are measuring jitter. Where you get the numbers you are publishing, less than 1psec?

Are you using a DAC and spectrum analyzer and a single frequency stimulus?

Or are you doing a direct real-time jitter measurement while playing a track?

The number you are quoting is unusually low.

You can see the actual measurement on our website. We measure the jitter at the buffer.

Yes clock buffer and flip flops will give you the total jitter on the Spdif stream. FFs have jitter thats lower than what most instruments can measure , so its a reasonable assumption that total jitter is jitter of the buffer/flipflop input.

It is not a good assumption. There is a big difference. Do you want to see the jitter plots of the S/PDIF BNC output terminated with a 75 ohm load inside my programmable measurement system?

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

I've just seen my board has jumpers instead of smd parts beside what seems to be the supply and, more annoying, uglily soldered resistors at both BNC and RCA's socket. Are measurements still the same with hardware modifications?
Then the next question is: is the v1.2 the very same? Specs? Measurements?
It's always disturbing to see such hand mods when you unpack a brand new product...

And Allo's website "contact" page does not work, support forum does not feature a DigiOne's category.

Like sckramer noted before, the digione deserves more attention. I have it running for approx. two months now, and is is a marked improvement over my xmos usb 2 spdif converters ( stello u3 and waveio), better separation, very natural sounding. But only when using the bnc connector. For some reason that delivers better results. The rpi 3 is powered by the allo power supply.

Do you use an adapter bnc into RCA?

Never used the BNC so far but do we have the signal on both outs simultaneously (with no deterioration)?

Last edited:
Hi Steve

not an assumption , total jitter is the jitter of the clock + jitter of the buffer + FF jitter + buffer jitter. There can be no other way.

Sure I want to see the "programmable measurement system" plots.

The jitter of flip-flops and buffers/selectors depends on the power subsystem and the logic family chosen. You choose HC family and you will get really high jitter compared to that of the oscillator. This is chosen a lot for transport outputs because it helps insure that the component passes emissions testing with poor cables.

Here is some low jitter:

Another Synchro-Mesh jitter breakthrough

This is not possible without using really fast logic family and excellent power delivery system.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.