AK4458 multichannel DAC with I2S input

Unfortunately, DigiKey has canceled my order of the AK4458 chips because of long delivery time, so I need to make a new order >50€. I do not really like this politics, but I have no other choice to purchase the ICs...:(

So, there is the question: would someone buy this DAC too? Possibly a group buy?
(if needed I have some PCBs too, because of minimal ordering amount /10 pcs./)

Unfortunately, DigiKey has canceled my order of the AK4458 chips because of long delivery time, so I need to make a new order >50€. I do not really like this politics, but I have no other choice to purchase the ICs...:(

So, there is the question: would someone buy this DAC too? Possibly a group buy?
(if needed I have some PCBs too, because of minimal ordering amount /10 pcs./)

I would be interested in the DAC board. But I already have the Twisted Pair IVY boards. Do you know if the are compatible? It uses the balanced outputs of the es9018 in current mode.

The DAC has 8 channels, 5,6V p-p (2Vrms) balanced (symetrical) voltage output, and needs a low-pass 2nd order filter @ about 100-200kHz f3.
There is an option to use it in mono mode, you have then a little better distortion parameters and only 4 channels.
I'll see the compatibility with TP-IVY in the evening...

I think it is not bad for the first try...:)

Attachments

• AKM soldering.jpg
    AKM soldering.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 470
It seems to be working...:)
I've made only one small mistake on the pcb (thanks for god no more), but it could be easily corrected.
The very first listening impressions (in parallel mode, tested with a cheap passive speaker) are very impressive (detailed, full-body sound)!!

Last edited:
My only small problem is for testing in parallel mode:
"After AVDD and TVDD are powered-up, the PDN pin should be "L" for 150ns."
It means I need to delay the PDN pin setup from "L" to "H", or make it by hand :).
But soon will be the Arduino installed, so this will be no more problem then...

I haven't read the AK4458's datasheet in detail, but from a quick scan it looks like you'd need to start by using the PDN pin to do a reset on power-on and then use the I2C pins to connect to the Arduino. Beware that the I2C pins are expecting 3.3V levels, not 5V. So it would be a good idea to use either a 3.3V Arduino or voltage conversion devices.

Of course I'm assuming that you have set the chip up for I2C control.

Some listening with my LXmini system:
The sound seems to be a little raw and not so sophisicated, airy like my older PCM1794.
Ground noise level any dynamics are very good.
Perhaps the capacitors needs time to burning in, and/or I should try other digital filter setups (if I make the controller ready for use).

Last edited:
So, you mean that you do not have an AK4458 vs PCM1794 experience

No, because last time I made DAC with PCM/DSD-1792/94 more then 10 years ago, and do not have any one now.

, but the PCM1794 seems to be better than the stereo AK chips...?

It depend which chips.
I think PCM1794 is comparable with AK449x (and AK is better to my mind).
But AK4458 is more simple then AK449x also then PCM1794.

You have a nice homepage with interesting projects!
Can I ask how do you make the DAC analog power supply?

Thanks.
In AK4458 DAC I used LP2985 for AK and lm317/333 for OP in LPF.