Multi channel and multibit DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a fan of well done multibit (PCM63, PCM1704) DACs that I've owned through out the years. They sound transparent without any glossing over to my ears. However with my speaker system I've since moved on to doing crossovers DSP side with Audiovero Acourate which is an incredibly powerful piece of software. It's the closest I have heard to making acoustic instruments sound as close to what I hear live.

With the multichannel realm comes a limitation of DAC choice. I believe the majority are based around ESS DACs (mine is) and maybe AKM (I think Prism Titan?). I was wondering what people thought of the feasibility of a multi channel multibit DAC. It would need a single ASIO driver (USB, Ravenna, etc) with clock syncing to a soundcard (records sweep) to work with Acourate. I am no designer or software writer, just another solder fume inhaler :fight: But I would pursue it if it's a reasonable proposition.

Sounds to me like an interesting project. I'd suggest doing it with TDA1387s as those are very cheap and sound excellent. I could contribute hardware designs but I'm not a software expert.

I should have added cost isn't such a consideration for me, DIY/hifi/music is one of my few expensive hobbies that brings so much pleasure that it's worth it.

I also should have added to the OP that 16/44 limit is fine with me, my ~3000 CDs (and growing) is the vast majority of my collection and the format that the classical and jazz labels continue to support and release box sets on.

For me the primary reason for making the cost low is to get the volumes up. I'm not interested in putting hours of design work into something that only moves in double digit numbers. I'm perfectly fine with 16/44 myself too but since some kind of DSP or uC would be needed to manage the interface, there's the potential to use multiple 16 bit chips to extend the number of bits to 18 or even 20.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.