Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Audio GD DA-M1 R2R Dac Module
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2017, 10:46 PM   #1
Tankpopper is offline Tankpopper
diyAudio Member

Default Audio GD DA-M1 R2R Dac Module

Hi guys.

I just came across the Audio-GD DA-M1 R2R module board through the Head-fo forum.

I have very little understand or DIY experiecne with digital sources, so im not yet sure how to assemble a fool functional DAC from it, but if o got it right, you just need to add a USB to I2S \ SPDIF board (if you need USB), a good power supply and an output stage (maybe you can use an interstage transformer here?) of your "choice".

Seems like a very Cheap and easy way to assemble an R2R dac.. What do you guys think?

Tank out.

Last edited by Tankpopper; 20th January 2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 20th January 2017, 10:53 PM   #2
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
If you're after multibit sound there are cheaper and simpler ways to go - for example using the TDA1387 DAC chip. But I agree for those who wish to experiment with discrete DACs this looks like the cheapest choice going. I know nige2000 has ordered some - TÝr Na HiFi • View topic - Another interesting r2r dac
Old 20th January 2017, 11:07 PM   #3
Tankpopper is offline Tankpopper
diyAudio Member

Actually, im not even sure what im after

I Dont have any need for Hi-res capabilites, and thats why i use the EAD DSP7000. As old as it is, coupled with the JLsound I2SoverUSB board i have, it sound quite incredible.

But im always looking for a new project (as if i dont have about 4 pending right now..), and building an R2R dac looks very interesting. obviously, there's always the Soekris board to consider as well (and i am considering it).

What i would really love is to experiment with an interstage transformer as an output stage for a dac, but im not sure either the Soekris Board, or the Audio-GD board can do that...

Tank out.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
As you don't need hi-res you could get into 'R2R sound' more quickly by acquiring one of these DACs - https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=18#detail then modding it like crazy

Alternatively post up the details of the transformer you have in mind and let's take a look at whether it might be suitable?
Old 20th January 2017, 11:36 PM   #5
soekris is online now soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It's not really a DAC, just a single shift register with a not very precise R-2R network.... You still need multiple boards, power supply, spdif receiver, low jitter clock, fifo buffer, digital filter, dsd decoder, volume control, output buffer and something to control it....

It's actually cheaper to use a dam1021-05 that have all you need.... I might be a little biased, but I'll say go for the soekris board :-)

Last edited by soekris; 20th January 2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 21st January 2017, 02:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'd say it does indeed look like you're biassed - for what reason would a digital filter be needed?
Old 21st January 2017, 11:13 AM   #7
soekris is online now soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I'd say it does indeed look like you're biassed - for what reason would a digital filter be needed?
Antialiasing filtering ? I know some like NOS, but there is a reason why all Audio DAC chips have the antialiasing filters built in (or come with a external filter chip)....
Old 21st January 2017, 11:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

On a point of order, you probably mean 'anti-imaging filtering'. The filter can be built analog as well as digital, admittedly the analog one won't be as stable over time and component tolerances. It probably leads to better dynamics though.
Old 21st January 2017, 01:03 PM   #9
Tam Lin is offline Tam Lin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
The filter can be built analog as well as digital...
Tell me, how do you make a digital anti-imaging filter? The images are created by the digital-to-analog conversion process. By definition, a digital filter will precede the conversion and cannot have any effect on the images created.
Old 21st January 2017, 01:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You're asking the wrong person - its soekris who introduced the digital anti-imaging filter, not I.

Audio GD DA-M1 R2R Dac ModuleHide this!Advertise here!