Audio GD DA-M1 R2R Dac Module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Since I had the boards out of my system, I decided to do a bit of work and provide separate digital and analog power supplies. I used the TPS7A regulated supply to power the digital side of all four boards and then I added a TL431 regulated supply to power the analog side of all four boards. The supplies were independent of each other with their own transformers.

With this setup back in the system in place of my TDA1541a board, the harshness that I heard with only one power supply feeding both the analog and digital sides has disappeared. The sound is now very similar to my TDA1541a but I think the TDA1541a sounds a bit more rounded, maybe because it has a tube ouput stage since the chip output voltage is very low, or it could be because of other reasons. The DA-M1 boards have enough voltage output so an output stage is not required.

DA-M1 newbee questions

Hi everyone!

I have some questions about the DA-M1 integration:

• why it needs 2 power supplies (3.3V for analog and digital)?
  • does anyone have a part list for the output stage with nice and good components?
  • I intent to connect theses 2 (or 4, I am still undecided) beasts to a Raspberry PI via I2S. What will be the kind of driver I should use?
Thanks!

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't own any commercially produced dacs but I prefer my diy AD1865 and TDA1541a dacs over the DA-M1. I based this on long term listening and the DA-M1 didn't keep me happy in the long term. It is no longer in my system and will not be going back in.

Looking at their website it seems that Audio-GD has discontinued their Singularity 19 dac, which uses the DA-M1 module. Their latest R2R dacs use a new module. I wonder why?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.