Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Oppo Sonica DAC
Oppo Sonica DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2018, 08:35 PM   #71
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Oppo Sonica DAC
You do realize that you are in a diyaudio forum and that my blog is mainly about diy audio, right? Open source diy audio, to be exact. With source code, schematics, Eagle files, etc.

If its true aim is to promote anything other than hobby-grade diy audio, I'm doing a very poor job.
Old 15th April 2018, 06:52 PM   #72
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Oppo Sonica DAC
Oppo say that will stop production for their products. Sonica it is one of it. OK, so what?
There are thousands of such devices sold and in function out there. This thread is dedicated to the Sonica DAC discussions, not about Oppo its business, or speculations/lamentations on this subject.
Let`s try further to see what we can do with Sonica, if it can be improved, and how, so that the owner been happy with his (was once upon a time Oppo) produced device.
Old 2nd September 2018, 07:34 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Oppo Sonica DAC
Working on a complete and fully linear PSU for Sonica, based on a single (customised) R core transformer... Of course, inside the enclosure.
Full upgrades for DAC and post DAC circuitry, as well.

Last edited by Coris; 2nd September 2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 3rd September 2018, 04:04 AM   #74
raoultrifan is offline raoultrifan  Romania
diyAudio Member

What is it that bothers you with the Sonica DAC? What would be the gain after these mods?

From tests done by Archimago (see bottom of this post), Sonica DAC had no PSU issues, jitter was very low, mains hum almost non-existent, right? Also, Sonica has Linear PSU for DAC and surrounding digital & analogue components (I/V, LPF and buffer) and the internal SMPS is used only for BlueTooth, LAN & streaming communication and is pretty well shielded and should not interfere with the LPSU for the DAC.

Why an R-Core transformer would be better than existing toroid? If there is no mains-hum with the toroid installed, with the new R-core some hum might appear because the electromagnetic field of the R-core is larger on the horizontal plane. Also, EM field will bounce back when you close the metallic case and that makes it difficult to predict if an R-core transformer would make things better in any way.

Could you please post some pics with ripple&noise, but also with FFT of existing V+/V- rails? It would be interesting to compare before vs. after.

Also, jitter, THD and SNR measurements done now and after will help a lot.

What do you mean by "Full upgrades for DAC and post DAC circuitry"?

Thank you!

P.S.: I've upgraded myself PSU components and also changed SMPS with LPSU in couple of DAC-devices as well, but I had mains hum (50Hz and it's 2'nd and 3'rd harmonics audible with IEM's) and I also had background noise from the boost converters, probably lower harmonics of the SMPS regulators (between 150-170kHz was the fundamental, so I probably got background noise from 4'th and 5'th harmonics, but also coils noise/EM propagating through the PCB traces)

Archimago's test Sonica test: Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Oppo Sonica DAC (ESS Sabre ES9038Pro based device), also first ever seen BT vs. wired tests: Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Oppo Sonica DAC and Bluetooth 4.1 (Low-Complexity SubBand Coding) Audio....

Last edited by raoultrifan; 3rd September 2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 4th September 2018, 08:54 PM   #75
beeppeep61 is offline beeppeep61  Italy
diyAudio Member

Ciao a tutti, dato che la fase di Sonic DAC è praticamente identica a 105-205, ho voluto seguire il consiglio di "Coris", prima sostituendo i condensatori 100uF dell'accoppiamento AC con il tipo Panasonic OS-CON e saldatura in parallelo di WIMA da 1uF.
Poi assicurato che il mio McIntosh MC601, (che pilotare direttamente attraverso il DAC sonico) hanno un condensatore 10uF Rubycon in serie al segnale di ingresso (per cui, come sempre raccomandato da "Coris" ho disposto in parallelo del WIMA 1uF), I voluto fare un ulteriore cambiamento che mi permette di bypassare il condensatori di accoppiamento attraverso un ponticello dedicata (grazie per l'idea "Coris" !!).
Quello che posso dire ..... ero piuttosto scettico sul possibile miglioramento come promesso sulle pagine del forum del BR105-205, ho cambiato idea dopo le prime note hanno ascoltato i miei file preferiti Hi-Res !!
E 'come se si fosse alzato un velo dalla trama musicale, anche l'ascolto di semplici file MP3 a 320Kb, acquistato in piacevole ascolto.
Sono in attesa di me per ottenere i regolatori per la duplice tensione di 12V, come raccomandato da "dtossan" ei diodi Schottky per la sostituzione del raddrizzatore a ponte, e, naturalmente, spero di essere in grado di sentire un ulteriore miglioramento, che era successo con la modifica di alimentatori a 5V e 3.3V di un / unità PDIF M2Tech Hi-faccia Due USB-S attraverso alimentatori Ondulazione 1uV.
Chiedo a "Coris" se il Crystek CCHD-950 da 100 MHz è adatto a sostituire l'orologio del Sonica, o se mi indica un modello più adeguato, magari con spiegazioni dettagliate per la sostituzione.

translation below
Quote:
Hello everyone, since the Sonic DAC phase is practically identical to 105-205, I wanted to follow the advice of "Coris", first replacing the 100uF capacitors of the AC coupling with the Panasonic OS-CON type and parallel welding of WIMA from 1uF.
Then assured that my McIntosh MC601, (which drive directly through the sonic DAC) have a 10uF capacitor Rubycon in series to the input signal (so, as always recommended by "Coris" I arranged in parallel of the WIMA 1uF), I wanted make a further change that allows me to bypass the coupling capacitors through a dedicated bridge (thanks for the idea "Coris" !!).
What can I say ..... I was rather skeptical about the possible improvement as promised on the pages of the forum of the BR105-205, I changed my mind after the first notes have listened to my favorite Hi-Res files !! : :: yikes yikes:
It is as if a veil was raised from the musical plot, even listening to simple MP3 files at 320Kb, purchased in pleasant listening. : D: D: D
I am waiting for me to get the 12V dual voltage regulators, as recommended by "dtossan" and the Schottky diodes for the bridge rectifier replacement, and of course I hope to be able to hear a further improvement, which was success with the modification of power supplies to 5V and 3.3V of a / PDIF unit M2Tech Hi-face Two USB-S through power supplies 1uV ripple.
I ask to "Coris" if the 100MHz Crystek CCHD-950 is suitable to replace the Sonica clock, or if it indicates me a more adequate model, maybe with detailed explanations for the replacement.
diyAudio is an English forum. Please post an english translation if you also post in your native language.

diyAudio è un forum inglese. Si prega di inviare una traduzione in inglese se si inserisce anche nella tua lingua madre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Modifica 100uF OSCON Panasonic_01_ridotta.jpg (205.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Modifica 1uF WIMA_01_ridotta.jpg (136.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Modifica Direct AC_ridotta.jpg (230.5 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by wintermute; 4th September 2018 at 09:08 PM. Reason: add translation.
Old 5th September 2018, 08:02 AM   #76
diyAudio Member

Oppo Sonica DAC
You did right by replacing the AC coupling caps. Even better if those caps are just wired bypassed. If the AC coupling caps should be used, then in my opinion it should be much better using non polarised caps of larger capacity. The bigger the capacity (in the available space limits), the better.
I see in your pictures some jumpers mounted on small test PCBs. Some of these jumpers (and its boards) are very close to the ground connected brackets (brass bars). The metalised holes on both sides of the boards it could come in contact with the brass bars, and ground so something there. Please note about that, and eventually isolate it...
Yes, a 100MHz Crystek CCHD-950 it will be a better solution for DAC clock. You can adapt its mounting somehow over the original one can. Cut the power trace to the original oscillator and connect it to the Crystek. The same for the output/input clock signal.

As I mentioned above, I am now very close to finish my fully linear PSU for Sonica. All regulators related to analogue stage are TPS7A, solid filtering caps, integrated DC blocking filter, and an R core customised transformer. Heat dissipation through the upper cover of the chassis.

Last edited by Coris; 5th September 2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 6th September 2018, 02:55 AM   #77
B&W_arthur is offline B&W_arthur  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Recently, my friend gave his Sonica Dac to me and ask if I can do a mod to it.

Glad to hear advise from guys here.

Coris, I am looking forward to your mod and your ideas.

Oppo Sonica DACHide this!Advertise here!