Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DSD to PCM in Octave, then DAC firmware
DSD to PCM in Octave, then DAC firmware
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2016, 08:29 AM   #1
borges is offline borges  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default DSD to PCM in Octave, then DAC firmware

Hi guys,

I'm working on a DAC where USB audio decode is done in open-source firmware. (See signature for details.) At the moment I'm looking for DSD music files, test tones and the best playback tools.

For the fun of it I've started toying with the idea of adding "DSD support". At least being able to accept DSD data input. In future DACs incoming DSD should obviously be sent as-is to a DSD capable DAC chip. But in the existing hardware it would surely be nice to accept DSD as well.

The current AK4430 DAC chip accepts only PCM, up to 24/192. Now, I'm thinking about converting incoming DSD to PCM to be transported over local I2S. (I know the DAC is delta-sigma and that all this conversion back and forth is not ideal. If you think this is plainly just a stupid idea, let's discuss that in a separate thread.) At the moment I'd just like to check how feasible it is and how it may eventually sound.

The MCU (Atmel AVR32) does have some resources available but not a ton. I believe a 2nd or 3rd order CIC filter can be done, maybe even a few FIR taps.

To test things out I'm thinking about algorithm development in Octave (Matlab). I know Octave has good .wav support but it does not yet support .dsf. Judging from the file format that shouldn't be too hard to implement. Anybody here with such experience?

As for playback solutions, I have both foobar2000 and JRiver here today. What is the recommended solution for DSD playback on OS X and Windows? The DAC has an open-source ASIO driver as its only connection to UAC2 on Windows. This ASIO driver doesn't yet have DSD support, but that can probably be added once we know the correct way to do it. What I'd like to avoid is DSD to PCM conversion in the player software.

Thanks for your input!

BÝrge

DSD to PCM in Octave, then DAC firmwareHide this!Advertise here!