General Guidance on S/PDIF to audio decoder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on a fairly simple BT Audio project. I'm using an RN-52, which I have configured for S/PDIF output; and picked up a cheap decoder box from Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I6GK1NA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This works great and eliminates all the buzzing and ticking that the analog output was producing, but now it's time to take the next step and build a dedicated PCB that includes the BT, the S/PDIF decoder and an amplifier.

My question is, is there a go-to S/PDIF to audio decoder chip or solution that everyone uses? I've looked at the DIR9001 and some other chips I found from searching here and the Goog, but they seem to be overly complicated for what I'm looking for.

Thank you for your time and help,

DougM

I'm not aware of a single chip solution that takes you all the way from S/PDIF to audio. Normally that'll be two chips. The ESS9018 DAC has S/PDIF in but still needs signal conditioning on its back-end.

What do you find too complicated about DIR9001? Its a relatively straightforward decoder in my experience.

Yes - I had this dream that I could find something that was a decoder on one end and amplifier-ready on the other end with some passives. I'm really more of a motion control guy than an audio guy so this project will be expanding my horizons :)

But my main question is what is the go-to chip in the audio community for this. Absolute audio quality isn't top priority since the devices will have a single 4 or 5" speaker.

I'll spend some time with the DIR9001 and ESS9018 datasheets today.

btw, I opened the converter I got from Amazon - it looked very straight forward, maybe 20 passives, but they scraped the markings off the chip. However, the chip is a 28-TSSOP, same as the 9001.

Thank you,

DougM

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.