Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Replacing caps in a mini USB DAC
Replacing caps in a mini USB DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2016, 01:20 AM   #1
answerawake is offline answerawake
diyAudio Member

Default Replacing caps in a mini USB DAC

Hey there, newbie here,

I just purchased this DAC

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coax...dp/B00FEDHHKE/

and there is a review that talk about replacing the caps and other components

https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R35..._=glimp_1rv_cl

Unfortunately the reviewer has not mentioned any specific values or other specific components he used.

A few questions:

1. Has anyone else modified this DAC? I believe it is just a generic PCM2704 DAC.

2. I'd like to select replacement components, how would I select the correct type of capacitor. Will any capacitor work as long as the values match? I have read about different types of caps but not sure if all will work in audio applications.

I am coming from a software background having soldered many modchips when I was younger so I am still a beginner when it comes to understand core electronics and HI End audio.

It sounds really nice out of the box, but I wanted to see if I can hear the amazing sound this reviewer claims to hear.
Old 10th December 2016, 06:54 PM   #2
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

If "any" cap is fine, then the actual stuffed are fine as well.

Caps used: "Elna Silmic II's, Nichicon Fine Gold, and Nichicon BP'"

Which are brown/gold/green.

Hopefully he didn't used knockoffs from China. Is your board equipped the same as on his pictures (before mod)? Changing the ceramics in the signal path "might" alter/"improve" the sound. To be sure, you'd need to buy a second DAC to have a reference for the modded one.

(Btw. wrong forum, the belongs to "Digital Line Level". Please ask a moderator to move he thread)

Last edited by doctormord; 10th December 2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11th December 2016, 01:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormord View Post
If "any" cap is fine, then the actual stuffed are fine as well.

Caps used: "Elna Silmic II's, Nichicon Fine Gold, and Nichicon BP'"

Which are brown/gold/green.

Hopefully he didn't used knockoffs from China. Is your board equipped the same as on his pictures (before mod)? Changing the ceramics in the signal path "might" alter/"improve" the sound. To be sure, you'd need to buy a second DAC to have a reference for the modded one.

(Btw. wrong forum, the belongs to "Digital Line Level". Please ask a moderator to move he thread)

Hey Doctormod,

Thanks for your reply!

I opened up the DAC and it seems to look identical apart from the PCB being red instead of blue and the resistors are blue instead of tan. Do Blue colored resistors signify anything?

Here are some pics: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

So I am going to buy equivalent Elna Silmic II's, Nichicon Fine Gold, and Nichicon BP caps from mouser (hopefully no knockoffs at mouser) and see what happens.

There is a very minor amount of hiss currently and I'll see if that disappears. That will be my baseline if there is any change at all. Most likely I am probably getting the best sound that I will notice out of this already since I have never listened to a real high end amp and am using Xiaomi Piston 3 earbuds.

At the very least it will be a fun experiment.

Quick follow up questions:

All the non ceramic capacitors are "Thenxing" branded 16V 100uF caps. I can order identical values of a better brand.

What about ceramic caps? I noticed he only replaced six of them. They all read 105. (There are others that read 104 and 103 but he left those)

What does 105 mean? What equivalent voltage and capacitance are those? A quick google seems to suggest 1uF but not sure.

Also is there an easy way to check polarity by just looking at these caps? No stripe on these.

Finally, sorry about posting in the wrong forum. Any mod here willing to most the post to the correct forum? Thanks!
Old 11th December 2016, 04:50 AM   #4
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey, you can search and look up those capacitor codes on the web, and as far as a replacement goes, I would suggest some sims fkp2 from mouser as well.

You may gain some improvement from using a transformer type of power supply also. Maybe you could find one on eBay used perhaps.

Or just use it as what it is, but it could be a great learning experience regarding the effects of swapping those parts.
Old 11th December 2016, 06:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
Hey, you can search and look up those capacitor codes on the web, and as far as a replacement goes, I would suggest some sims fkp2 from mouser as well.

You may gain some improvement from using a transformer type of power supply also. Maybe you could find one on eBay used perhaps.

Or just use it as what it is, but it could be a great learning experience regarding the effects of swapping those parts.
Yes it seems like 105 is 1uF but I can't find the voltage anywhere. I need to know the voltage because the replacements come in many voltages.
Old 11th December 2016, 01:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

16v is fine. you could also fit WIMA MKS2 there, that's the the silkscreen marking suggest. (Rectangle shape)
Old 11th December 2016, 04:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Most of those pins will have 5v max on them, around the ic's anyways, so the 63v versions of whatever film caps are available would work fine. I didn't think the Wima were available in less than 63v.
The smaller caps could be of a smaller value than the 1uf if changed for film type.
Typical decoupling would be .1 uf to .01uf.
I would guess that the larger ceramic caps were chosen with the understanding that this type will be de-rated in application.

Last edited by phase; 11th December 2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11th December 2016, 04:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Replacing caps in a mini USB DAC

They also have some 40V available.

I don't think they've taken any derating into account, as 10n or 100n normally are 50/100V types.

Last edited by doctormord; 11th December 2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11th December 2016, 07:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Maybe not, as I am not the creator of that board or have any experience with it.
Maybe to see what the data sheet recommends for those parts would be a start.
I have found that this hobby is very research intensive, especially in the beginning.
Old 11th December 2016, 09:51 PM   #10
altblitz is offline altblitz
diyAudio Member

>reading consumers reviews on monopolist selling site for normies >believing everything there without scientific/engineering research >expecting miracles from 2704 16bit/44/48khz

Replacing caps in a mini USB DACHide this!Advertise here!