Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Chinese ES9018K2M I2S DAC
Chinese ES9018K2M I2S DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2017, 01:46 AM   #21
linjunan is offline linjunan  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceJ View Post
This one is from taobao and it is very easy to buy. But it has no useful feedback.
Old 24th March 2017, 04:42 AM   #22
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjunan View Post
Could you please talk more. I am very interesting in raspberry pi audio solution.

Thanks,
The Pi works well with this DAC. Tim has a nice implementation of Moode that has a specific output configuration for it, but other MPD-based software will work as well.

It sounds good enough for most applications and most people. You still have to knock down the volume to 80-85% to avoid digital clipping though, and only software mode is available. However MPD uses 32-bit internal volume control so at that level the reduction in resolution will be insignificant.

The board is among the cheapest DAC boards on the market, so bear that in mind when buying it. It is not designed to replace a high-end DAC, but a cheap and compact system component with a reasonably competent sound.
Old 24th March 2017, 05:30 AM   #23
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Looks interesting and especially since the price is so low, I might just order one to see if there are any subjective improvements compared to the 9018. On Taobao its just 68rmb - https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=18#detail
Old 25th March 2017, 12:05 PM   #24
CallMeMike is offline CallMeMike  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjunan View Post

Another shop's design usde ES9018K2M:
Click the image to open in full size.

I like the last one design. This products has a kit:
Click the image to open in full size.

I have order one kit and waiting.....
Hello Linjunan

Will you be so kind to provide links to the shops selling the products shown in your last TWO pictures, please...?

Cheers!
Old 25th March 2017, 01:40 PM   #25
Yatsushiro is offline Yatsushiro  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMike View Post
Hello Linjunan

Will you be so kind to provide links to the shops selling the products shown in your last TWO pictures, please...?

Cheers!
It's a Suptronics X4000, one of a family, see here;

SupTronics - Raspberry Pi Expansion Board

Available at GearBest, or here:

http://www.dx.com/p/suptronics-x4000...Q#.WNZzi3UyqCg

Last edited by Yatsushiro; 25th March 2017 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added DX Sales Link
Old 26th March 2017, 08:09 AM   #26
CallMeMike is offline CallMeMike  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatsushiro View Post
Thank you, Yatsushiro-san...

(possibly) better quality components, ES9018 DAC and no ESS specific drivers for 2.5 times higher price than the board in the first post... let me think...
Old 26th March 2017, 09:02 AM   #27
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

That Suptronics board has its advantages - definitely better power regulation for one. The other is the HDMI repeater that would allow switching the output between the ES9018 and an external DAC over the optical jack.

However, the whole board including the analog section runs at 5V. This means that you will be limited to about 700mVrms of single-ended analog output regardless of what the specifications say.

And what little documentation there is, is beset with typos and general confusion, such as the use of two separate entries for DAC chips and the mention of hard drive compatibility.

Still, it is quite pricey for the addition of just the HDMI function. If it allowed some additional functions to control the DF and volume settings of the ES9018, it would probably become a lot more useful and worth the asking price.
Old 27th March 2017, 02:56 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram View Post
The Pi works well with this DAC. Tim has a nice implementation of Moode that has a specific output configuration for it, but other MPD-based software will work as well.

It sounds good enough for most applications and most people. You still have to knock down the volume to 80-85% to avoid digital clipping though, and only software mode is available. However MPD uses 32-bit internal volume control so at that level the reduction in resolution will be insignificant.

The board is among the cheapest DAC boards on the market, so bear that in mind when buying it. It is not designed to replace a high-end DAC, but a cheap and compact system component with a reasonably competent sound.
Thanks a lot. Do you mean ES9018K2M or ES9028Q2M?
Old 27th March 2017, 02:59 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMike View Post
Hello Linjunan

Cheers!
I have order one from TAOBAO:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm..._u=r3mej1o3046

It is adventure to buy audio device before touch it. Ha!
Old 27th March 2017, 03:13 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram View Post
That Suptronics board has its advantages - definitely better power regulation for one. The other is the HDMI repeater that would allow switching the output between the ES9018 and an external DAC over the optical jack.

However, the whole board including the analog section runs at 5V. This means that you will be limited to about 700mVrms of single-ended analog output regardless of what the specifications say.

And what little documentation there is, is beset with typos and general confusion, such as the use of two separate entries for DAC chips and the mention of hard drive compatibility.

Still, it is quite pricey for the addition of just the HDMI function. If it allowed some additional functions to control the DF and volume settings of the ES9018, it would probably become a lot more useful and worth the asking price.
Yes, that is why I choose this kit.

It include a box, a es9018K2M borard, a 2.5 hard board, and power. As my expericence, the quality of raspberry I2S for DAC is poor; it is interested that es9018k2m board can switch I2S or HDMI to connect raspberry.

About the analog output level is a question: there are very Converter IC as TI TPS6513x can be used. I will check the design when I get this kit.

Chinese ES9018K2M I2S DACHide this!Advertise here!