Chinese ES9018K2M I2S DAC

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Could you please talk more. I am very interesting in raspberry pi audio solution.

Thanks,

The Pi works well with this DAC. Tim has a nice implementation of Moode that has a specific output configuration for it, but other MPD-based software will work as well.

It sounds good enough for most applications and most people. You still have to knock down the volume to 80-85% to avoid digital clipping though, and only software mode is available. However MPD uses 32-bit internal volume control so at that level the reduction in resolution will be insignificant.

The board is among the cheapest DAC boards on the market, so bear that in mind when buying it. It is not designed to replace a high-end DAC, but a cheap and compact system component with a reasonably competent sound.

Another shop's design usde ES9018K2M:
TB2q3Klgd4opuFjSZFLXXX8mXXa_!!12617510.jpg

I like the last one design. This products has a kit:
TB2kasye3NlpuFjy0FfXXX3CpXa_!!12617510.jpg

I have order one kit and waiting.....

Hello Linjunan :)

Will you be so kind to provide links to the shops selling the products shown in your last TWO pictures, please...?

Cheers!

Hello Linjunan :)

Will you be so kind to provide links to the shops selling the products shown in your last TWO pictures, please...?

Cheers!

It's a Suptronics X4000, one of a family, see here;

SupTronics - Raspberry Pi Expansion Board

Available at GearBest, or here:

http://www.dx.com/p/suptronics-x4000-expansion-board-for-raspberry-pi-3-model-b-2b-b-458939?tc=GBP&gclid=Cj0KEQjwqtjGBRD8yfi9h42H9YUBEiQAmki5OkfdarKMWfzSfdj5B1Gk5GJTCZT6MMSUhxplSq6Rfi8aAg_78P8HAQ#.WNZzi3UyqCg

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That Suptronics board has its advantages - definitely better power regulation for one. The other is the HDMI repeater that would allow switching the output between the ES9018 and an external DAC over the optical jack.

However, the whole board including the analog section runs at 5V. This means that you will be limited to about 700mVrms of single-ended analog output regardless of what the specifications say.

And what little documentation there is, is beset with typos and general confusion, such as the use of two separate entries for DAC chips and the mention of hard drive compatibility.

Still, it is quite pricey for the addition of just the HDMI function. If it allowed some additional functions to control the DF and volume settings of the ES9018, it would probably become a lot more useful and worth the asking price.

The Pi works well with this DAC. Tim has a nice implementation of Moode that has a specific output configuration for it, but other MPD-based software will work as well.

It sounds good enough for most applications and most people. You still have to knock down the volume to 80-85% to avoid digital clipping though, and only software mode is available. However MPD uses 32-bit internal volume control so at that level the reduction in resolution will be insignificant.

The board is among the cheapest DAC boards on the market, so bear that in mind when buying it. It is not designed to replace a high-end DAC, but a cheap and compact system component with a reasonably competent sound.

Thanks a lot. Do you mean ES9018K2M or ES9028Q2M?

That Suptronics board has its advantages - definitely better power regulation for one. The other is the HDMI repeater that would allow switching the output between the ES9018 and an external DAC over the optical jack.

However, the whole board including the analog section runs at 5V. This means that you will be limited to about 700mVrms of single-ended analog output regardless of what the specifications say.

And what little documentation there is, is beset with typos and general confusion, such as the use of two separate entries for DAC chips and the mention of hard drive compatibility.

Still, it is quite pricey for the addition of just the HDMI function. If it allowed some additional functions to control the DF and volume settings of the ES9018, it would probably become a lot more useful and worth the asking price.

Yes, that is why I choose this kit.

It include a box, a es9018K2M borard, a 2.5 hard board, and power. As my expericence, the quality of raspberry I2S for DAC is poor; it is interested that es9018k2m board can switch I2S or HDMI to connect raspberry.

About the analog output level is a question: there are very Converter IC as TI TPS6513x can be used. I will check the design when I get this kit.

I've brought one of those from ebay ->

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

...however capacitors are rated at 16 / 25 / 35V*, a small heat sink is provided and quality wise it seems ok for minor tasks.

As a minor drawback there's no info on how to wire it...

* even where a 220u/6.3V cap was specified a 16V one is used instead.

BD139 has no heatsink

(this is one of my first posts so... well, if I'm breaking some rule or posting useless stuff please tell me)

I brought this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's the same as the op, except that it has a different power configuration, way better caps (at least 16V) and a heatsink.

There's no info on how to wire i2s or how to power it anyway... but it seems solid and well built.

Hi
I have one of these boards too. I paid about £12 on eBay and it arrived quickly. I'm using a moode 3.1 build on a raspberry pi 3. Easy to wire up - only 4 connections required. Moode3.1 has an I2S setting for a buffalo II (also 9018) which made config easy. It also works with the generic 2 I2S setting.

I have a an Arcam irDac as my reference.

Listening tests reveal mixed results. On the one hand the sound is neutral, with almost a touch of warmth in the bass. A full sound with very good sound space and intense resolution. I'm listening to some opera (Verdi's requiem) and the resolution of the many vocalists, solo instruments, chorus and orchestra is impressive. Good dynamics. In short I can see why it gets good reviews. It's not as refined/smooth as the irDac: slightly harsh. But still very good to listen to.

On the other hand this is a poor implementation. I get loud clicks changing between tracks and the noise from the power supply (hiss and hum) is awful. Mind you I am only using a basic wall wart. But the clicks make it useful only as a comparison- I couldn't live with it. I tested a similar ebay purchase for a 5102A board (I2S also) £6. That was excellent also without the hiss and hum (not quite the resolution).

I expect I can hack the board to improve the audio interference with better PSU, decoupling and op amp. But does anyone know how to remove the clicks? I've not experienced it before. It's like the buffer is not cleared properly when skipping between tracks.??

Baloothebear4

First of all: thanks linjunan.

Baloothebear4: Probably you can try powering the stuff with some LDO and or regulator like 78xx or LM317.
Two points in the upper left (my photo) seems to be for internal voltage supply, the three points nearby are probably for a 78xx regulator (classic IGO layout).
It seems that you've to solder the regulator to use it in my board.

Bottom of the three solder points is regulated output, center is ground, top is linked to the next in line (I assume that's unregulated Vcc) and the last is ground.
Or, at least, that's what my tester is saying.

First of all: thanks linjunan.

Baloothebear4: Probably you can try powering the stuff with some LDO and or regulator like 78xx or LM317.
Two points in the upper left (my photo) seems to be for internal voltage supply, the three points nearby are probably for a 78xx regulator (classic IGO layout).
It seems that you've to solder the regulator to use it in my board.

Bottom of the three solder points is regulated output, center is ground, top is linked to the next in line (I assume that's unregulated Vcc) and the last is ground.
Or, at least, that's what my tester is saying.

On the original board (first one pictured in this link...http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-chinese-es9018k2m-i2s-dac-2.html#post5028095)
The two hole land is an output to power the matching xmos usb device and the three hole land is populated by an LM7805 regulator for this purpose. Looks like this was omitted on your board.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWEST-XMOS...884363?hash=item2a6a4a5b4b:g:gkUAAOSwOVpXYTK0

Last edited:
Do you need that?

TB2AfAstXXXXXaCXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!88221699.jpg

Hi
I have one of these boards too. I paid about £12 on eBay and it arrived quickly. I'm using a moode 3.1 build on a raspberry pi 3. Easy to wire up - only 4 connections required. Moode3.1 has an I2S setting for a buffalo II (also 9018) which made config easy. It also works with the generic 2 I2S setting.

I have a an Arcam irDac as my reference.

Listening tests reveal mixed results. On the one hand the sound is neutral, with almost a touch of warmth in the bass. A full sound with very good sound space and intense resolution. I'm listening to some opera (Verdi's requiem) and the resolution of the many vocalists, solo instruments, chorus and orchestra is impressive. Good dynamics. In short I can see why it gets good reviews. It's not as refined/smooth as the irDac: slightly harsh. But still very good to listen to.

On the other hand this is a poor implementation. I get loud clicks changing between tracks and the noise from the power supply (hiss and hum) is awful. Mind you I am only using a basic wall wart. But the clicks make it useful only as a comparison- I couldn't live with it. I tested a similar ebay purchase for a 5102A board (I2S also) £6. That was excellent also without the hiss and hum (not quite the resolution).

I expect I can hack the board to improve the audio interference with better PSU, decoupling and op amp. But does anyone know how to remove the clicks? I've not experienced it before. It's like the buffer is not cleared properly when skipping between tracks.??

Baloothebear4

On the original board (first one pictured in this link...http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-chinese-es9018k2m-i2s-dac-2.html#post5028095)
The two hole land is an output to power the matching xmos usb device and the three hole land is populated by an LM7805 regulator for this purpose. Looks like this was omitted on your board.

NEWEST XMOS U8 USB 384K 32B I2S SPDIF output,support DSD for es9018 DAC | eBay

Yes, my board was supposed to be AC powered.
The "advantage" is that you can put the regulator "backward" and power the whole board from there.