New DAC based on AK4497EQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Jensen jt11p with the ak4495, it sound pretty darn good.
One thing about transformers is that a lot of them ring (I have measured a few with a scope). For Jensen jt11p I use their recommended snubber 13k + 620pf across the secondary and the measurement looks good, you might want to check the snubber value for your your Jensen.

Hi Chuck,
Thanks for that info. I will fire up the scope & see how a square wave looks.
The transformers I am using are Jensen JT-11-FLCF. 1:1 standard 600/600 ohm output transformers. My board has no output stage so the transformers were just a quick lash up to have a listen. Currently no snubber or loading on the secondary but I have to admit it sounds pretty good as is.

i just wondering why using transformer with AKM dac output?
as i know AK4490/95/97 are voltage output which doesn't need IV converter.
the only need for the outputs are low pass filter to match the internal frequency response.
so AK4490/95/97 need LPF, is that output transformer act as LPF? :confused:

I finally received my test boards and built one to make sure that I had a proper handle on things. Everything seems to be working fine.

I wrote a piece of Arduino code to control pretty much every parameter of the chip that relates to sound quality for my single chip board. I've put it up on my blog.
It accepts commands through the serial port to change the various options. Here is its menu:

attachment.php

Next up is building a second unit so I can try dual mono operation.

What concerns me is the output stage. I've looked at the dual mono reference design for the 4497 part but I haven't gone as far as comparing the 4490's output characteristics with the 4497's so as to determine whether the 4497's reference design could be applicable to the 4490s.

I also don't like the 100uF capacitors in the signal path, before the summing of the signals. I would like to have full DC coupling if possible.

I'm a noob at analog electronics so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm OK with using op-amps but I would prefer something more "interesting", of the class-a discrete flavour. Balanced output would be preferable.

Attachments

• Serial_Port_Menu_v1.33.png
    Serial_Port_Menu_v1.33.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,727
wengtech - the AK4497 outputs a diferental signal also with dc (2.5v)
The transformer is just a very simple way to remove the dc & also obtain a single ended output (rca) if required. Depending on the transformer there may also be some hf filtering.

Dimdim - thanks for all the good info & link to your site. Well done!

Hey a couple of questions.
1. Has anyone experimented with "heavy load mode"?
It seems to be related to the analogue output stage so maybe it increases the bias on the output opamps. It may effect the output impedance??
Bottom line does it change the sound quality?

2. The digital core on the AK4497 (1.8v) can optionally be supplied by a internal regulator or fed with an external supply - I'm currently using the internal reg but just wondered if anyone has compared the two?

I finally received my test boards and built one to make sure that I had a proper handle on things. Everything seems to be working fine.

I wrote a piece of Arduino code to control pretty much every parameter of the chip that relates to sound quality for my single chip board. I've put it up on my blog.
It accepts commands through the serial port to change the various options. Here is its menu:

attachment.php

Next up is building a second unit so I can try dual mono operation.

What concerns me is the output stage. I've looked at the dual mono reference design for the 4497 part but I haven't gone as far as comparing the 4490's output characteristics with the 4497's so as to determine whether the 4497's reference design could be applicable to the 4490s.

I also don't like the 100uF capacitors in the signal path, before the summing of the signals. I would like to have full DC coupling if possible.

I'm a noob at analog electronics so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm OK with using op-amps but I would prefer something more "interesting", of the class-a discrete flavour. Balanced output would be preferable.

Want something interesting, use these: Home - Sparkos Labs.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.