Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9018k2m Build Completed
ES9018k2m Build Completed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2016, 11:38 AM   #1
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default ES9018k2m Build Completed

I thought I would post some pictures and info about the diyinhk ES9018k2m DAC that I just finished building.

IMG_0239.jpg IMG_0240.jpg IMG_0241.jpg IMG_0242.jpg
IMG_0243.jpg IMG_0246.jpg

I used a negative LCD for use with the Hifiduino controller, looks good in fairly dim lighting but is no use in direct sunlight as you see here.

IMG_0244.jpg

I have an older board so there is 3.3v and 5v diyink TPS7A4700 power supplies. The opamp is powered by a fairly basic bipolar LT1084 supply from Analog Metric.

USB input is from a diyinhk CM6661A board and optical input uses a twisted pear toslink receiver.

Hifiduino code has been adjusted to use a generic IR library as I could not get my apple remote to function with the standard code. The benefit of this is that I can use pretty much any remote by changing a few values in the code if needed.

IMG_0249.jpg

I have found that the i2c ports on the ES9018k2m are indeed 5V tolerant and there is no need to use a logic level converter. I found this out by accident when my level converter board stopped working and just put out 5V (4.8 actually) to the chip. The chip still worked so now I have just removed the wiring for the level converter and go direct to the arduino.

By wiring the toslink board to the spdif input on the DAC I am able to switch between USB and toslink in the software. One thing to note is that the pad with the square is ground and the other pad is signal input, this confused me for a while until I looked at a photo of the bare board and could see the trace going from the round pad straight to the DAC pin.

I found I needed to set the DPLL to low settings in order to get a nominal sample rate to display, at higher settings it wouldn't work. Lowest works for me with both i2s and spdif so that is where I set it.

I am quite impressed with the audio quality, all of the filters sound slightly different, the only one that is of no use is the NOS mode. This sounds dreadful. I prefer the slow roll off filter but there is not much difference, nice to be able to choose though.
Old 26th August 2016, 01:19 PM   #2
fredlock is offline fredlock  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice build Fluid. Can you give me some info how to implement the Hifiduino controller. Do I need to know how to program? Sorry for the stupid question.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 26th August 2016, 01:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Fred,

You don't need to know how to code to use the Hifiduino code as long as it works with your setup when you put it all together. If it doesn't quite work as it didn't for me then you will need to learn the basics of C++ and the arduino development environment if you want to alter the basic code. With some help from another forum member and some arduino tutorials I was able to make the changes I needed even though I had no idea what I was doing when I started.

There is a lot of good info on the hifiduino site start here and follow the links for the different parts.

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/intr...-to-hifiduino/

Try and stick to the parts recommendations and it should be easy.

You don't need to use the level converter if you don't want to 5V i2c works without problem.

I used a prototype shield for my arduino to make it easier to connect the display and give a place to mount the transistor and trimmer needed for LCD brightness control. You might need an LCD contrast trimmer as well but this made no difference to my negative lcd.

The cost of the components is quite low if you get them from ebay or similar places and is definitely worth it when you get it all working.

Give it a try and if you run into any trouble, let me know and I will try to help you out.
Old 26th August 2016, 01:41 PM   #4
nikosokey is offline nikosokey  Greece
diyAudio Member

VERY VERY good JOB !!!
Do you heard any difference in sound with I2C controller on DAC ?
Titan 2000 ,Cressendo Millenium 2000, P3A ,VSSA ΤΟ3 ,B1 Buffer ,Golmund Mimesis 9.2 Clone ,Preamplifier Dispre 2 - JFET, DCB1 SALAS, D-Reflector, BibFet, Buffalo II,ES9018K2M, Arduino LDR Volume, AK4490 Discrete Mirand Audio,SSHV2, 6V6 Salas Preamp.

Last edited by nikosokey; 26th August 2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 26th August 2016, 02:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I haven't really compared the difference as I am not sure what the default hardware setting is for the filters etc. so it probably wouldn't be an exact comparison anyway.

Being able to control the filters and the DPLL bandwidth allows you to choose which settings are preferred for you and these do make a subtle difference.

I would probably have to try and measure the noise and thd and see if there is any difference.

The only difference is having the arduino connected to the same ground as the DAC via i2c as I haven't used an isolator, but then the computers ground is also connected to the DAC when using usb and the usb input sounded slightly better to me than the optical so I'm not sure it matters.

I have done my testing with an O2 headphone amp and AKG712 headphones and I really like the way this DAC sounds so for now I don't plan to do any ground isolation.
Old 26th August 2016, 08:54 PM   #6
lightreel is offline lightreel  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Very nice build indeed.

I'm planning something similar for my Pi + Mamboberry rig... taking notes!
Old 28th August 2016, 04:28 AM   #7
fredlock is offline fredlock  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid View Post
Hi Fred,

You don't need to know how to code to use the Hifiduino code as long as it works with your setup when you put it all together. If it doesn't quite work as it didn't for me then you will need to learn the basics of C++ and the arduino development environment if you want to alter the basic code. With some help from another forum member and some arduino tutorials I was able to make the changes I needed even though I had no idea what I was doing when I started.

There is a lot of good info on the hifiduino site start here and follow the links for the different parts.

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/intr...-to-hifiduino/

Give it a try and if you run into any trouble, let me know and I will try to help you out.
Thanks Fluid for your response. I will try to give it a shot.

Fred
Old 28th May 2018, 11:17 AM   #8
wchpikus is offline wchpikus
diyAudio Member

Hi
Could you share ino file to controller?
I have some dac from ali, i have connected i2c lines and communication works, but i can not setup this chip to cooperate with i2s lines.
I have bluethooth chip connected to dac, and no sound..
I tested all ino for es9018k2m and no effect.
Could you tell me how to setup this dac chip to works with i2s lines?

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by wchpikus; 28th May 2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 29th May 2018, 07:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I used the code from Hifiduino and tweaked it slightly for my apple remote. The standard code should work with hardware controls without issues.

The hifiduino code allows you to choose between spdif and i2s inputs in the software.

Have you tested your bluetooth module with anything else to see if it is working or putting out any signal via i2s?
Old 29th May 2018, 09:03 AM   #10
wchpikus is offline wchpikus
diyAudio Member

Hi
I tested wt32 with this dac:

Assembled PCM5102 DAC Decoder Module I2S Raspberry Pi Support 32bit 384K
Assembled PCM5102 DAC Decoder Module I2S Raspberry Pi Support 32bit 384K-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Works only on right justified but works.
I tested signals using oscilloscope, tested differed setup ( 16bits, 24, 32, LJ RJ) on the wt32 and any of them not work with sebre.
I have also selealogic analyzer and communication on the i2c looks ok.

One of the code ( i do not remember number has auto pll, then on the display i had locked and shows bitrate and clock bits but no audio..
Could you write how to setup using this code this dac?
I choice i2s and other parameters but no luck...
Wt32 can generate clock 2.82MHz and lower, bit rate 44.1 kHz (fps).
Regards

Last edited by wchpikus; 29th May 2018 at 09:33 AM.

ES9018k2m Build CompletedHide this!Advertise here!