DAC8043 as volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read about how good DAC8043 is in multiplying mode as a volume control. I can't find anything about THD+N or similar metrics.
The thing that bothers me the most is +/-15v Vref (input) in the context of a single +5v supply rail. Does it work fine? Is it really better than PGA2320?

I've built a working prototype, but I have no proper instruments to measure it.

Attachments

• VolumeControl.JPG
    VolumeControl.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
It sounds OK, but I think it can sound better. Nothing big, just have a feeling that it is not quite there. May be it is all in my head as I'm really skeptical about awesome distortion figures for +/-15v input on +5v power supply. Just thinking, that PGA23xx may be better as it specially designed just for this application and shows THD+N on the same level or better that "opamp-less" volume control ICs (MUSES72320, WM8818, DS1882) as least on paper

i think someone else here did this some years ago and had some good success.
if i find the link later, i'll post it.
i might be mis-remembering but i think he found some things to do to improve performance.
maybe LT1028 isn't best part for this application?

best regards,
mlloyd1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.