Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ALL digital DSP (in & out)... What are the options?
ALL digital DSP (in & out)... What are the options?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2016, 12:45 AM   #21
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolbovoy View Post
Hm... In NOS DAC? No sin(x)/x frequency response shaping?
Also ovesampling DACs filters with constant # of taps sound a bit differently as the transients (ringing) has the same length in samples, but different in the real time
Well if there isn't an integrating network, the only thing you hear is noise.

//
Old 19th August 2016, 01:02 AM   #22
stolbovoy is offline stolbovoy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
All of those things have to do with the processing of the sampled audio, not the audio itself.
Yes, and this thread is about choosing processing implementation, isn't it?
Old 19th August 2016, 01:11 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Well if there isn't an integrating network, the only thing you hear is noise.
//
Do you mean that R-2R DACS will not produce ... legible sound if the output played though hypothetical loudspeaker that doesn't act as an integrating network? Or that NOS means absence of the filtering in analog domain?
Old 21st August 2016, 04:41 PM   #24
JMF11 is offline JMF11  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthedespot View Post
I have the stm32f769 disco board, and it rocks. You might consider it... spdif in and out, with a touchscreen and sd card slot for storage. Total cost is 80 bucks from mouser.
I bobthedespot,

I'm currently exploring the possibilities offers by the stm32 MCUs (F4, F7), and consider using some associated Nucleo boards. I'm working at the moment with the Stm32F4 discovery

Have you developped some audio application on those processors? Would you share some of the code?

I try to achieve (full digital) Async USB=> DSP => SPDIF or I2S.

Best regards,

JMF
Old 24th August 2016, 11:21 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

I wonder if PIC32MZ is enough to build 4 way crossover running at 192kHz? I've used PICs before and TQFP is more DIY friendly.
Old 24th August 2016, 05:46 PM   #26
cogeniac is online now cogeniac  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolbovoy View Post
1,2) It is not about stereo image, but yes if there are different clocks my tweeter may be ahead or behind of mid-range due to ASRC. Probably not by a lot, but still can. Spending considerable amount of efforts to clock everything from one clock source (DAC) it sounds less then optimal solution.
3) If DAC itself is NOS than 192 is better. And also - why not? If my PC can do it without an effort, why should I us inferior solution that will cost me $1300 more?
If you use something like the MiniDSP MiniSHARC (yes, it is "only" 24/96), you clock the HF and LF channels out using the SHARC MCLK, so all of the channels are synchronous (the DACS are all driven by the same clock).

Put the SHARC on the input side of the SHARC, and use it to rate convert all of the various input formats to 24/96, and to elect from the different input sources.

The SHARC can handle additional channels, but for very additional channel, you will have fewer digital filter taps, and thus less resolution in the filters.

ALL digital DSP (in & out)... What are the options?Hide this!Advertise here!