New? Sure Electronics ADAU1701 Module

Back on the original topic.

I decided to order one of these today.

I'd been reluctant because: 1) I couldn't find anyone else's hands-on impressions 2) I wasn't sure I wanted to take on the expense (for a the programmer HW) and effort of creating custom firmware.

I realized though that the stock-firmware is an adjustable subwoofer crossover, which is something I need right now. I expect it will take a couple of weeks to get here. I'll post when it arrives and I've had a chance to try it out.

... I think there are mistake in the product description.
Program port looks wrong and equals to extension kit connector

The program port on the board is 6 pins. Here are the signals as printed on the board:

RESET, SB001, GND, WP, SCL and SDA

Seems to be a subset of the 10 pin FreeDSP USBi header. The Sure description mentions using a 10 to 6 pin cable to connect to the program port. Not sure about the SB001 signal. Any ideas?

I've been pestering Sure for the documentation they mention in the product description. I was told I'd get it this week, but so far nothing.

The only response I've received is from the Sure Tech Support via Skype - and that's been very spotty. I also sent 5 e-mails with no response. Wontom (the board manufacturer) has a website at wontom.com, but no content yet. I also check the Sure download site occasionally, but again nothing for the ADAU1701 board yet. Sigh....

I'll try Skype tomorrow.

I was looking more closely at the limited (and outdated) documentation and it appears the DSP chip actually has two stereo output channels and the board exposes both of them, even though the expansion board only exposes two-stereo channels plus sub. It also looks like the available GPIO pins can be used for I2S.

The program port on the board is 6 pins. Here are the signals as printed on the board:

RESET, SB001, GND, WP, SCL and SDA

Seems to be a subset of the 10 pin FreeDSP USBi header. The Sure description mentions using a 10 to 6 pin cable to connect to the program port. Not sure about the SB001 signal. Any ideas?

I've been pestering Sure for the documentation they mention in the product description. I was told I'd get it this week, but so far nothing.

SB001 isn't SBOOT by any chance? That looks like a T rather than a 1 to me, but I might be wrong, it's pretty blurry..

Hi,
I have one of these boards. The six pin connector , J11, is (I believe)
1 I2C SDA
2 I2C SCL
3 Write Protect
4 Ground
5 Self Boot
6 Reset

All of which correspond to the 10 pin header definitions.

Note that MP2/3/8/9 are tied to the wipers on the 4 pots.

You can use the freeusbi connector (which works in conjunction with a Cypress EZ USB board). Personally I have used a Cypress EZ USB board, through level shifters .... a quick way to duplicate the FreeUSBi circuit.

My 2 problems are:-
* There is absolutely no documentation out there, as others have noted and despite comments to the contrary on the sure website.
* The crystal on my board is a 12.000Mhz and not a 12.288Mhz, making the whole thing run at a non standard frequency. There are no jumpers, so I propose to unsolder the tiny crystal and squirt in 48*256khz or 44.1*256khz

Last edited: